Re: [Distillers] Heating System

  • Gary Gluyas
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2001
      Hello Matt

      Pity about your electricity prices - you have my sympathies!

      I find that even if our electricity prices were to double (which they won't
      - this year anyway) the entire process is still very cheap! and offers
      very significant savings over the commercial product. Excise here in New
      Zealand is roughly $NZ18.00 per Litre @ 40% alcohol by volume, plus GST
      (sales tax) at the time of retail sale.

      Because of the above - this is the BEST TIME to get involved in this hobby,
      especially as electricity prices start to bite into the commercial
      producers' production costs and then surely retail prices will rise - your
      savings over the commercial product will be relatively the same!

      Something to ponder on!

      Cheers

      Gary

      ----------
      From: Matt <spore@...>
      To: Gary Gluyas <gluyas@...>
      Cc: Distillers@yahoogroups.com; Louise Bells <louiebellus@...>
      Subject: Re: [Distillers] Heating System
      Date: Sunday, 4 February 2001 08:25

      On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 05:15:15PM +1300, Gary Gluyas wrote:
      > Hello all
      >
      > There is very little real cost for electricity on a standard still:
      > 1.5 hours heating x 4kw = 6kw @ .10c per kw = .60c
      > 3 hours distilling x 2kw = 6kw @ .10c per kw = .60c
      > Total kilowatt used is 12 kw @.10c = $NZ 1.20 per batch - hardly
      > noticeable on the normal power bill!
      >
      > Gary

      yes and I envy the lot of you; here in California everyone was too busy
      paving the planet with new developments while sipping lattes from their
      local Starbucks (resistance is futile (tm)) So while we were sleeping
      our energy situation has cratered and our electricity prices are going
      through the roof. In the US in general, a shortage of natural gas is
      imminent, too.

      I have to say I picked the _worst_ time ever to start this hobby but I'm
      having a great time. update on wash: s.g. now at .995 (from 1.130) on day
      10. sure beats the month or so I waited for my champagne yeast to top out
      at about 14%.

      -matt

      Matthew @ psibercom