Redistilling tails?

  • stampers@bigfoot.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2001
      Hi,

      I've read a lot about tails since I started with this hobby. Some
      people:

      1) Throw them away
      2) Put them back in the next fill of the still
      3) Keep them to one side and then do a special run of the still with
      just the collected tails.

      My question relates to option 3) above. I'm assuming you dilute it
      with some water to get a reasonable amount of liquid to play with,
      but how do you know how much of the distillate to collect this time,
      and do you have to throw away the head if you've already done that
      the first time through?

      Don't say by sense of smell, I don't know what it is but my nose
      isn't sensitive enough to tell the dividing line between body and
      tails. I can tell the difference between body and stuff that's well
      into the tails (I collect in .5 litre lots after the first 3 litres
      at 70%) but obviously lack the olfactory finesse to detect the cross
      over point.

      Kev.