Re: [Distillers] Heating System

  • Gary Gluyas
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2001
      Hello all

      There is very little real cost for electricity on a standard still:
      1.5 hours heating x 4kw = 6kw @ .10c per kw = .60c
      3 hours distilling x 2kw = 6kw @ .10c per kw = .60c
      Total kilowatt used is 12 kw @.10c = $NZ 1.20 per batch - hardly
      noticeable on the normal power bill!

      Electricity is very controllable - fire is dangerous especially as the heat
      is almost uncontrollable.
      Then there is the danger of gasses igniting . . . or boil overs . . .
      Doesn't bear thinking about really!

      I WOULD NEVER CONSIDER FIRE!

      Gary
      ----------
      From: Louise Bells <louiebellus@...>
      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Distillers] Heating System
      Date: Saturday, 3 February 2001 16:28

      Dear Distillers
      Which would be the best form of heating my still? Internal with a heating
      element or External with fire? Cost wise and the effectivness of the
      distilling.

      Love to hear from you all,

      thanx

      Louie
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2001
        On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 05:15:15PM +1300, Gary Gluyas wrote:
        > Hello all
        >
        > There is very little real cost for electricity on a standard still:
        > 1.5 hours heating x 4kw = 6kw @ .10c per kw = .60c
        > 3 hours distilling x 2kw = 6kw @ .10c per kw = .60c
        > Total kilowatt used is 12 kw @.10c = $NZ 1.20 per batch - hardly
        > noticeable on the normal power bill!
        >
        > Gary

        yes and I envy the lot of you; here in California everyone was too busy
        paving the planet with new developments while sipping lattes from their
        local Starbucks (resistance is futile (tm)) So while we were sleeping
        our energy situation has cratered and our electricity prices are going
        through the roof. In the US in general, a shortage of natural gas is
        imminent, too.

        I have to say I picked the _worst_ time ever to start this hobby but I'm
        having a great time. update on wash: s.g. now at .995 (from 1.130) on day
        10. sure beats the month or so I waited for my champagne yeast to top out
        at about 14%.

        -matt

        Matthew @ psibercom
      • Gary Gluyas
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2001
          Hello Matt

          Pity about your electricity prices - you have my sympathies!

          I find that even if our electricity prices were to double (which they won't
          - this year anyway) the entire process is still very cheap! and offers
          very significant savings over the commercial product. Excise here in New
          Zealand is roughly $NZ18.00 per Litre @ 40% alcohol by volume, plus GST
          (sales tax) at the time of retail sale.

          Because of the above - this is the BEST TIME to get involved in this hobby,
          especially as electricity prices start to bite into the commercial
          producers' production costs and then surely retail prices will rise - your
          savings over the commercial product will be relatively the same!

          Something to ponder on!

          Cheers

          Gary

          From: Matt <spore@...>