Heating System

  • Louise Bells
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2001
      Dear Distillers
      Which would be the best form of heating my still? Internal with a heating
      element or External with fire? Cost wise and the effectivness of the
      distilling.

      Love to hear from you all,

      thanx

      Louie
    • Gary Gluyas
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2001
        Hello all

        There is very little real cost for electricity on a standard still:
        1.5 hours heating x 4kw = 6kw @ .10c per kw = .60c
        3 hours distilling x 2kw = 6kw @ .10c per kw = .60c
        Total kilowatt used is 12 kw @.10c = $NZ 1.20 per batch - hardly
        noticeable on the normal power bill!

        Electricity is very controllable - fire is dangerous especially as the heat
        is almost uncontrollable.
        Then there is the danger of gasses igniting . . . or boil overs . . .
        Doesn't bear thinking about really!

        I WOULD NEVER CONSIDER FIRE!

        Gary
        ----------
        From: Louise Bells <louiebellus@...>
        To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [Distillers] Heating System
        Date: Saturday, 3 February 2001 16:28

        Dear Distillers
        Which would be the best form of heating my still? Internal with a heating
        element or External with fire? Cost wise and the effectivness of the
        distilling.

        Love to hear from you all,

        thanx

        Louie
      • Matt
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2001
          On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 05:15:15PM +1300, Gary Gluyas wrote:
          > Hello all
          >
          > There is very little real cost for electricity on a standard still:
          > 1.5 hours heating x 4kw = 6kw @ .10c per kw = .60c
          > 3 hours distilling x 2kw = 6kw @ .10c per kw = .60c
          > Total kilowatt used is 12 kw @.10c = $NZ 1.20 per batch - hardly
          > noticeable on the normal power bill!
          >
          > Gary

          yes and I envy the lot of you; here in California everyone was too busy
          paving the planet with new developments while sipping lattes from their
          local Starbucks (resistance is futile (tm)) So while we were sleeping
          our energy situation has cratered and our electricity prices are going
          through the roof. In the US in general, a shortage of natural gas is
          imminent, too.

          I have to say I picked the _worst_ time ever to start this hobby but I'm
          having a great time. update on wash: s.g. now at .995 (from 1.130) on day
          10. sure beats the month or so I waited for my champagne yeast to top out
          at about 14%.

          -matt

          Matthew @ psibercom
        • Gary Gluyas
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2001
            Hello Matt

            Pity about your electricity prices - you have my sympathies!

            I find that even if our electricity prices were to double (which they won't
            - this year anyway) the entire process is still very cheap! and offers
            very significant savings over the commercial product. Excise here in New
            Zealand is roughly $NZ18.00 per Litre @ 40% alcohol by volume, plus GST
            (sales tax) at the time of retail sale.

            Because of the above - this is the BEST TIME to get involved in this hobby,
            especially as electricity prices start to bite into the commercial
            producers' production costs and then surely retail prices will rise - your
            savings over the commercial product will be relatively the same!

            Something to ponder on!

            Cheers

            Gary

            From: Matt <spore@...>