Making Whiskey

  • scottvines@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2001
      I recently built a modified Nixon/Stone reflux still based upon
      information I gathered at this site and others (no offense to anyone
      else, but Tony's site is by far the best). I collected 150 ml. per
      hour and achieved a very clean 95% distillate, but man was I tired
      when I finished (16 friggin hours)! Anyhow, I want to make some
      whiskey. I know you you're supposed to use a pot still to create
      whiskey, but I didn't want any of those nasty cogeners. So, I've
      decided to flavor a neutral spirit instead. My question is how do I
      flavor and age a neutral spirit to make it taste like whiskey? I
      have some ideas, but input from experienced people would be much
      appreciated. Also, is using French Oak chips (medium toast)
      acceptable, and if so, how long should I soak my alcohol in this
      stuff?

      Thanks,
      Scott
    • scottvines@netscape.net