Boiling points at different altitudes (chart)

  • MtrcyclMon@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2001
      Hello,

      I've gained so much usefull information from you guys I figured it's
      time to give some back. I don't know how useful this information
      will be, but I'm sure there is someone on a mountain top that could
      use it.

      The following information contains calculated boiling points for
      water, methanl and ethanol in pure form. I used an equation proposed
      by Antoine that reads:

      Log(Pressure) = A - (B / (T + C))

      (A, B, and C are constants that have been determined experimentally)

      (Note I used an approximate pressure for a given altitude. My figers
      are tired so I won't give the whole chart, just the important stuff.
      If you need more information feel free to e-mail.)

      Okay, here goes.
      Boiling Points (celcius)
      Altitude Water Methanol Ethanol
      (Feet)

      0000 100 64.5 78.3
      0500 99.4 64.1 77.8
      1000 99.1 63.7 77.4
      1500 98.5 63.2 76.9
      2000 98.0 62.7 76.4
      2500 97.5 62.3 76.0
      3000 97.0 61.8 75.5
      3500 96.4 61.3 75.1
      4000 95.9 60.8 74.6
      4500 95.5 60.5 74.2
      5000 95.0 60.0 73.7
      5500 94.4 59.5 73.2
      6000 94.0 59.1 72.8
      6500 93.4 58.6 72.3
      7000 92.9 58.1 71.9
      7500 92.5 50.7 71.5
      8000 91.9 50.2 70.9

      There. I hope it is interesting to someone.

      I have a more detailed table in word format. I you want it, e-mail
      me to request it and I will trade it for a 5 gallon, stainless steel
      milk can with lid. Just sh*tting you. I'll forward it to you.

      -Tim