insulating the column and pot??

  • glennnat@southwest.com.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2001
      Can someone tell me what they think is a good product to insulate the
      pot? thanks Glenn
    • Dick
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2001
        In message <9584oj+i2q2@...>, glennnat@...
        writes
        >Can someone tell me what they think is a good product to insulate the
        >pot? thanks Glenn

        If the sides of your pot are straight then thin (about 5 mm) softwood
        tongue & groove wood planks make an excellent insulator. I cut planks to
        the length required, put 2-3" of water in the pot (in my case making sure the
        heating element was covered), brought it to the boil and then hung 2-3 of
        the planks at a time in the steam but above the water (wire coat hangers are
        ideal for jury rigging the hanging arrangement). After about 10 minutes the
        planks will have softened sufficiently to allow you to shape them into
        following the curve of the pot. I used two car webbing roof rack securing
        straps to initially hold the planks in position & then, by tightening the strap, to
        curve the plank to meet the curve of the pot. Leave in position for about
        15mins until dry and you have a nicely curved wooden plank. WARNING -
        unless you have more than 2 hands don't try & do more than 2/3 planks at a
        time.
        Securing all the planks in place once you've finished can be as
        easy just using the securing straps but I thought I'd do a nice looking job by
        routing two shallow grooves across the plank before steaming and insetting
        a couple of home made brass securing straps. Coat of dark varnish on the
        outside & that's it - looks like a proper still & even after 10-15 hrs of operation
        the outside gets no more than hand warm !
        My column was too small (54mm dia) for wood cladding so I just
        went down to a local industrial plumbing warehouse & got a 3m length of
        standard industrial foam pipe insulation - works even better than the wood
        but doesn't look so good.
        --
        Dick