  • jaclamar@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2000
      Mike wrote:

      > I prefer to go the full reflux route and start with absolutely pure
      > ethanol,

      I am in the process of putting together a reflux unit as described on a
      site: http://stillmaker.dreamhost.com/ (very informative for construction)

      I have nearly all the copper put together...now am figuring out the
      cookpot configuration. You see, I want to utilize a keg that I have for
      both a spirit still pot as well as a brew pot for beer; so dualtiy is of
      the essence in this educational research and science project.

      >then add bits and pieces to achieve the results I want.

      Now here is a point I am not too familiar with aside from all the
      netvertiements for such flavorings. Is it really really true that if I
      distill some clear 'hol from a reflux, that if I merely add soem of
      these flavorings, I can have a product good enuf for serving to my
      brother-in-law with a bit of aging (not that he isn't old enuf...but the
      shine I mean).

      > I just feel more in command of my destiny that way. Purely a personal
      > preference.

      I will probably be giving this a whirl befor I get a full blown multi
      pot pot still together and go the long route. I would like to give it a
      go, though, since I am not only interested in whiskey and scotch, but
      also slivawiz (my spelling may be funky too) which is a 'stilled
      fermented plum concoction (if you didn't know) which is quite tasty.

      > Others like the challenge of following the traditional
      > route and use a pot still that gives a product containing around 80%
      > or so of ethanol and a bunch of other goodies that make poteen so
      > popular amongst the Irish.

      I think I imagine (or is that I imagine I think?...none-the-less [slurp,
      slurp]) that potting it, as opposed to fluxing it, keeps those flavors
      (or imourities as some may call it) and gives it the body, flavor and
      character.

      > The end result either way is satisfactory

      I guess that is where we all want to go; and if it's the easier route by
      "flux and flavor", what the heck...gives me more time for brewing
      something else.

      > to the maker, that person being defined as the one most interested
      > in finding the product of their labours the best stuff ever made!!!

      As long as it's safe and won't make me go blind.

      Thanx for the welcome and hope to chat again soon.

      Mark
      (PS...not from Luxenborg or where ever I said I was from so as to send
      the ATF on a wild goose chase.)