new to group

  • jaclamar@idt.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 14, 2000
      It may be of good manners to introduce myself...
      I am a new member...Mark
      I am interested in stilling (no kidding...that's why I'm here!)
      I have found some good info about reflux still construction, but am looking
      for some good info regarding the construction of a good pot system for
      making whiskey since I have read the reflux will not do it properly.
      I would appreciate any help.
      Thanx,
      Mark
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 14, 2000
        Mark wrote:
        I am a new member...Mark
        I am interested in stilling (no kidding...that's why I'm here!)
        I have found some good info about reflux still construction, but am looking
        for some good info regarding the construction of a good pot system for
        making whiskey since I have read the reflux will not do it properly.
        I would appreciate any help.

        Welcome Mark!
        (you get two welcomes as I inadvertently replied to the
        SCA Distillers List instead of Des's List - thanks for
        catching me on that one Ray!)
        Any help I can give you in your endeavours I'd be more
        than happy to share a few tips. I'm also sure that
        Friend Ray would also be delighted to sell you one
        of his magnificent Moonshine rigs, woudntya Ray! Of course,
        on the reasonable assumption that your interest is purely
        theoretical if the Laws of your Land frown on the manufacture
        or even possession of such devices that can distil, I shall try to
        make any description as graphic as possible as it will all be
        in the realms of Theory and Interest in How Things Work - which
        knowledge is free and legal for all to pursue.
        First point to note is that many 'reflux' stills described out
        there are not really reflux stills at all, but pot stills with
        the means of doing several distillations in one go - by several
        I mean 3, 4 or even 5. As these redistillations are accomplished
        by reflux, or return of the condensate, they can be said in true
        George Washington manner to be 'reflux' stills. However, a full
        reflux rig is quite a different animal, accomplishing hundreds or
        thousands of redistillations in the one process to result in pure,
        unadulterated 95% ethanol. A question of definition really, and
        not worth bothering about until it leads to confusion.
        Whisky (whiskey is Irish) depends for its flavour on a rich mix
        of flavouring compounds that derive fromthe water it was made from,
        the barley it was brewed from, the manner in that barley was treated
        and the results distilled (different stills produce different results),
        the manner in which it is aged to let all the compounds interact
        and change with time (true whisky must, by law, be aged a minimum
        of 3 years), and the way different whiskys are then blended and
        further matured to 'marry'.
        It's an incredibly complicated art, and any amateur would be very
        hard pressed to come even near getting a product anything like the
        'real' thing. But, having said that, the fun is in trying!
        Knowing my limitations (I modestly admit to perhaps one, or maybe two
        - stop sniggering Ray!!!) I prefer to go the full reflux route and
        start with absolutely pure ethanol, then add bits and pieces to
        achieve the results I want.
        I just feel more in command of my destiny that way. Purely a personal
        preference. Others like the challenge of following the traditional
        route and use a pot still that gives a product containing around 80%
        or so of ethanol and a bunch of other goodies that make poteen so
        popular amongst the Irish. The end result either way is satisfactory
        to the maker, that person being defined as the one most interested
        in finding the product of their labours the best stuff ever made!!!

        I'm sure Ray will be able to pass on a wealth of practical information
        on producing a satisfactory product using the 'traditional' methods,
        and I'm more than happy to help should you want to follow the boring
        way I do it. Either way, you should browse through the wide range of
        flavouring aids etc that Ray has to offer on his web site at
        http://www.moonshine.co.nz/
        or my good friend Des Zein at http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~topkiwi
        or for a wealth of info from Tony Ackland on his site at
        http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Bayou/2588/distill.htm
        For the full reflux route, try Dr John Stone on his site at
        http://www.gin-vodka.com/ .... soon to be transferred to my site
        as we have joined forces :-)

        Four excellent sites to start off with, with links to a wealth of
        others that should keep you happy for hours!

        Happy browsing - and call me direct if you have any specific
        queries you think I can help with

        Mike
        mike@...
      • Aaron Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 15, 2000
          my site has helped a few beginners out
          http://go.to/distil
          or
          http://go.to/distillation

          I'm recently new as well
          but this should provide you lots of links and you will find what you need

          cheers
          Aaron