Re: a small "big oak cask"

  • tfurey7
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hi Lee,
      Great idea, I wish I had thought of it before I bought the keg.
      One question: With the removable lid how do you keep it airtight?
      One more question: Do you have to re-char the inside after each use?

      Cheers,
      Tim

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Fugatt" <lpndolfn@c...> wrote:
      > I have a another option to paying $40 bucks for a wooden bucket if
      you like. I am very new to distilling but I have been making Native
      American crafts out of wood for years. One such is the 8 sided
      Buffalo drum. Now, with that preface, I too wanted to age my
      product is a charred oak cask. I started out thinking I needed to
      learn how to cooper my own barrels when I had a moment of (relative)
      coherent thought. Booze cannot tell the diference between "round'
      and "octagonal". I suddenly realised that it probably cannot tell
      the diference between 8 sides and 4 sides either. I now have 2
      oak "boxes" that hold about 2 gallons each. (I am a small timer) I
      used rabbit joint dadoes on all seams and pegged with birch dowels.
      The lid is the same but the dowels are left long so I can take the
      top off to re char the inner surface. I drilled a 2 inch hole in
      this "lid" for a bung and a 3/4 inch hole at the bottom of one side
      of the box for a wooden spigot I bought for $5.00 US at a wine supply
      shop. The wood soaks up a little product but I think after a short
      time this won't be a concern. Lee

      Service.

    • Lee Fugatt
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
        The "lid" is the same as the sides and has to be "Tapped" into place and pegged. I can then stack the box on any side and it won't leak after the joint is swollen. as to re char after each use. I don't know. I am new at this stuff and I just casked my first full 2 gallons last week. Lee
        Great idea, I wish I had thought of it before I bought the keg.
        One question: With the removable lid how do you keep it airtight?
        One more question: Do you have to re-char the inside after each use?

        Cheers,
        Tim

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Fugatt" <lpndolfn@c...> wrote:
        > I have a another option to paying $40 bucks for a wooden bucket if
        you like. I am very new to distilling but I have been making Native
        American crafts out of wood for years. One such is the 8 sided
        Buffalo drum. Now, with that preface, I too wanted to age my
        product is a charred oak cask. I started out thinking I needed to
        learn how to cooper my own barrels when I had a moment of (relative)
        coherent thought. Booze cannot tell the diference between "round'
        and "octagonal". I suddenly realised that it probably cannot tell
        the diference between 8 sides and 4 sides either. I now have 2
        oak "boxes" that hold about 2 gallons each. (I am a small timer) I
        used rabbit joint dadoes on all seams and pegged with birch dowels.
        The lid is the same but the dowels are left long so I can take the
        top off to re char the inner surface. I drilled a 2 inch hole in
        this "lid" for a bung and a 3/4 inch hole at the bottom of one side
        of the box for a wooden spigot I bought for $5.00 US at a wine supply
        shop. The wood soaks up a little product but I think after a short
        time this won't be a concern. Lee

      • Frederick Christiansen
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
          Lee, I have one question, what is in the box while it is swelling? If
          you use your distilled product, you may be a copper after all. - Derf

          Great idea, I wish I had thought of it before I bought the keg.
          One question: With the removable lid how do you keep it airtight?
          One more question: Do you have to re-char the inside after each use?

          Cheers,
          Tim

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Fugatt" <lpndolfn@c...> wrote:
          > I have a another option to paying $40 bucks for a wooden bucket if
          you like. I am very new to distilling but I have been making Native
          American crafts out of wood for years. One such is the 8 sided
          Buffalo drum. Now, with that preface, I too wanted to age my
          product is a charred oak cask. I started out thinking I needed to
          learn how to cooper my own barrels when I had a moment of (relative)
          coherent thought. Booze cannot tell the diference between "round'
          and "octagonal". I suddenly realised that it probably cannot tell
          the diference between 8 sides and 4 sides either. I now have 2
          oak "boxes" that hold about 2 gallons each. (I am a small timer) I
          used rabbit joint dadoes on all seams and pegged with birch dowels.
          The lid is the same but the dowels are left long so I can take the
          top off to re char the inner surface. I drilled a 2 inch hole in
          this "lid" for a bung and a 3/4 inch hole at the bottom of one side
          of the box for a wooden spigot I bought for $5.00 US at a wine supply
          shop. The wood soaks up a little product but I think after a short
          time this won't be a concern. Lee

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Lee Fugatt
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
            I don't understand the reference but as I have said the box starts out very tight because I pretty much know how to make a tight joint. I think I will lose a little product as the wood swells even tighter but not much. I will scrounge up a digital camera and load some photos. Lee
            Lee, I have one question, what is in the box while it is swelling? If
            you use your distilled product, you may be a copper after all. - Derf

            Great idea, I wish I had thought of it before I bought the keg.
            One question: With the removable lid how do you keep it airtight?
            One more question: Do you have to re-char the inside after each use?

            Cheers,
            Tim

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Fugatt" <lpndolfn@c...> wrote:
            > I have a another option to paying $40 bucks for a wooden bucket if
            you like. I am very new to distilling but I have been making Native
            American crafts out of wood for years. One such is the 8 sided
            Buffalo drum. Now, with that preface, I too wanted to age my
            product is a charred oak cask. I started out thinking I needed to
            learn how to cooper my own barrels when I had a moment of (relative)
            coherent thought. Booze cannot tell the diference between "round'
            and "octagonal". I suddenly realised that it probably cannot tell
            the diference between 8 sides and 4 sides either. I now have 2
            oak "boxes" that hold about 2 gallons each. (I am a small timer) I
            used rabbit joint dadoes on all seams and pegged with birch dowels.
            The lid is the same but the dowels are left long so I can take the
            top off to re char the inner surface. I drilled a 2 inch hole in
            this "lid" for a bung and a 3/4 inch hole at the bottom of one side
            of the box for a wooden spigot I bought for $5.00 US at a wine supply
            shop. The wood soaks up a little product but I think after a short
            time this won't be a concern. Lee

          • Austin Smith
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
              I just reading the "prep" for a new oak barrel. They recommended filling it with water to let it swell, replacing the water as it leaked out. When it stopped leaking, dump the water and fill it with spirits.

            • tfurey7
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                That's correct, I submerged mine in a large pot for three days and
                now it is sitting in it's stand filled with water. I'll leave it that
                way until I'm ready to fill it with something more to my liking.

                I don't like water that much, too much of it ruins a good drink ;)

                Cheers,
                Tim

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Smith" <asmith1@b...>

                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                  Lee, I'm by no means an old timer at this myself. When I read your
                  assessment of the booze no being aware of the shape of the container, I
                  thought how simply brilliant. However, my question was based on my own
                  inept wood working ability; I've never tried this so I'm questioning my
                  ability to get all the joints tight enough.

                  But another question, what was the proof of the product? My reason for
                  the question is I recently took a tour of the Jack Daniels distillery
                  and they distill out to around 140 proof and then filter through their
                  sugar maple charcoal and then into the barrels. They calculated their
                  alcohol loss to evaporation in the barrels, and in 5 or 6 years they
                  bottle at 80 proof.

                  One thing you may want to consider, the Jack Daniels distillery produces
                  a premium line called Top Shelf, and this is from the top layer of
                  barrels only. While I have not tasted this product, a little to premium
                  for me, Daniels rationale is these barrels experience the greatest
                  variations in storage conditions. They get the warmest and they get the
                  coldest during their aging period and thusly acquire a special quality.
                  - Derf

                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tfurey7" <tfurey7@y...> wrote:
                    > That's correct, I submerged mine in a large pot for three days and
                    > now it is sitting in it's stand filled with water. I'll leave it
                    that
                    > way until I'm ready to fill it with something more to my liking.
                    >
                    > I don't like water that much, too much of it ruins a good drink ;)
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Tim

                    AND you can see what it does to the bottom of boats. AND y'know
                    what fish do in it. ;-)

                  • vojeto
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                      It's an idea that screams out to be tried. Do any Australians on the
                      list know if Tasmanian Oak would be a suitable timber? It's the
                      timber usually recommended (in this part of the world) for things
                      like wine presses. Are there are other (Australian) timbers that
                      would be suitable/better?

                      Cheers
                      JRae

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Frederick Christiansen
                      <frederick.christiansen@m...> wrote:
                      > Lee, I'm by no means an old timer at this myself. When I read your
                      > assessment of the booze no being aware of the shape of the
                      container, I
                      > thought how simply brilliant. However, my question was based on my
                      own
                      > inept wood working ability; I've never tried this so I'm
                      questioning my
                      > ability to get all the joints tight enough.
                    • bertsaal
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                        Hallo lee and they others

                        First I was thinking making somekind of box myself. Its a very good idea. I thought to close the joints with epoxy-glue (for watertanks) or siliconen (like an aquarium). But a drink you put in a little box has a lot of contact with the surface of the oak and i wonder if that is good for the quality at the end or is it unintentional speeding things up. That is the reason i started thinking to make a container that is partial made of glass to get its breathingspace in proportion of a 300 liter cask. A lot of chemical reaktions are taking place in there, but do they need time to happen or can it also happen in a quick oakdip.

                        bert

                        wrote:
                        > I have a another option to paying $40 bucks for a wooden bucket if

                        you like. I am very new to distilling but I have been making Native

                        American crafts out of wood for years. One such is the 8 sided
                        Buffalo drum. Now, with that preface, I too wanted to age my
                        product is a charred oak cask. I started out thinking I needed to
                        learn how to cooper my own barrels when I had a moment of (relative)

                        coherent thought. Booze cannot tell the diference between "round'
                        and "octagonal". I suddenly realised that it probably cannot tell
                        the diference between 8 sides and 4 sides either. I now have 2
                        oak "boxes" that hold about 2 gallons each. (I am a small timer) I
                        used rabbit joint dadoes on all seams and pegged with birch dowels.
                        The lid is the same but the dowels are left long so I can take the
                        top off to re char the inner surface. I drilled a 2 inch hole in
                        this "lid" for a bung and a 3/4 inch hole at the bottom of one side
                        of the box for a wooden spigot I bought for $5.00 US at a wine
                        supply
                        shop. The wood soaks up a little product but I think after a short

                        time this won't be a concern. Lee

                      • John Nicol
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                          Hello Frederick,

                          Do you live in TN? I live very close to the JD distillery.

                          --
                          Best regards,
                          John mailto:nicol@...
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
                            You'd want to be careful mate. Tassie oak is a marketing name for Mountain
                            Ash, which is Eucalyptus Regnans. Using Eucalyptus wood might have a
                            significant effect on the flavour, and there's the issue of unknown
                            long-term toxicity too.

                            Hector said recently that someone over here had used Silky Oak with
                            success, but again, you take your chances with the unlikely possibility
                            that there's a toxicity concern. Silky Oak is Grevillia Robusta, which
                            grows in Queensland but is often found in parks and as a street tree here
                            in Melbourne. I don't know how available it is as sawn timber.

                            In principle any hardwood is a candidate for aging, though oak has the
                            advantage of being proven. I'm using North American Pin Oak shavings from a
                            fallen street tree I was lucky enough to notice -- and it's great. Whatever
                            you do, don't try softwood from conifers. It's unsuitable. I think there
                            could be health issues with the resins in them.

                            Cheers,

                            Boot

                            >It's an idea that screams out to be tried. Do any Australians on the
                            >list know if Tasmanian Oak would be a suitable timber? It's the
                            >timber usually recommended (in this part of the world) for things
                            >like wine presses. Are there are other (Australian) timbers that
                            >would be suitable/better?
                            >
                            >Cheers
                            >JRae
                          • Hector A. Landaeta C.
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 7, 2003
                              On 12/2/03 11:10 PM, "Boot" <mr.boot@...> wrote:

                              > Hector said recently that someone over here had used Silky Oak with
                              > success, but again, you take your chances with the unlikely possibility
                              > that there's a toxicity concern.

                              Hola Boot!
                              Yes I did! I wish I could tell the name of the guy. He wrote to me in the
                              DBD (Distilled Beverage Digest), like 5 years ago. He wrote he was old. 72
                              years if I¹m not wrong, and was distilling every week (and enjoying the
                              fruits of his work as well). I think he knew Tony because he was one of the
                              guys who told me about this list. He specifically said that he had been
                              using that wood ³for ages² (you Aussies have a way with hyperbola), and that
                              many moonshiners (what is your local term for this?) of old there used it
                              before him. But I don¹t remember it as ³Silky² but ³Silly² oak.
                              Salud!
                              --
                              Hector Landaeta.
                              Colonia Tovar - Venezuela.

                            • vojeto
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 7, 2003
                                FWIW, I recently got this email from the Timber Development
                                Association of South Australia when I left an inquiry at their website

                                Cheers
                                JRae

                                Gidday John. Toxicity is not an issue in the sense that wood will
                                harm you. Some trees contain harmful or even poisonous substances,
                                but only in the sap or the leaves. It is correct that Tasmanian oak
                                is not a true oak, but a mixture of several eucalypt species which
                                are very similar to one another. However, that doesn't mean it isn't
                                suitable for wine making. In fact, a reference in our library
                                suggests that "mountain and alpine ash and messmate stringybark are
                                the main [Australian] species used [for wine casks]". These are the
                                three species marketed commercially as Tasmanian oak. The same
                                reference says "karri and jarrah have also been used for wine vats".
                                PETER LLEWELLYN ("Harry & Sal")
                                Timber Development Association of South Australia
                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Hector A. Landaeta C."

                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 7, 2003
                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vojeto" <vojeto@y...> wrote:
                                  > FWIW, I recently got this email from the Timber Development
                                  > Association of South Australia when I left an inquiry at their
                                  website

                                  > Cheers
                                  > JRae

                                  > Gidday John. Toxicity is not an issue in the sense that wood will
                                  > harm you. Some trees contain harmful or even poisonous substances,
                                  > but only in the sap or the leaves. It is correct that Tasmanian
                                  oak
                                  > is not a true oak, but a mixture of several eucalypt species which
                                  > are very similar to one another. However, that doesn't mean it
                                  isn't
                                  > suitable for wine making. In fact, a reference in our library
                                  > suggests that "mountain and alpine ash and messmate stringybark
                                  are
                                  > the main [Australian] species used [for wine casks]". These are
                                  the
                                  > three species marketed commercially as Tasmanian oak. The same
                                  > reference says "karri and jarrah have also been used for wine
                                  vats".
                                  > PETER LLEWELLYN ("Harry & Sal")
                                  > Timber Development Association of South Australia

                                  I think Peter Llewellyn might want to have another look at that
                                  statement about poisonous substances only being in the leaves and
                                  sap. The Australian Blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon)has been used in
                                  the past for cooperage (barrels), as seen here in 'uses'...
                                  http://www.windsorplywood.com/tropical_woods/australianbl.html

                                  but according to the World AgroForestry Database, this tree has a
                                  poison in the WOOD (acamelin and 2,6-dimethoxyl-4 benzoquinone)that
                                  causes allergic contact dermatitis and bronchial asthma to people
                                  working with the wood. See here under 'Functional Uses'...
                                  http://www.worldagroforestrycentre.org/Sites/TreeDBS/Aft/speciesinfo.
                                  cfm?SpID=71

                                • Tarvus
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 8, 2003
                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Fugatt" <lpndolfn@c...> wrote:
                                    > The "lid" is the same as the sides and has to be "Tapped" into
                                    place and pegged. I can then stack the box on any side and it won't
                                    leak after the joint is swollen. as to re char after each use. I
                                    don't know. I am new at this stuff and I just casked my first full 2
                                    gallons last week. Lee

                                    Sounds like a great idea Lee!
                                    Please describe how you charred the inside of the box - propane
                                    torch? Burning charcoal? Also, can you tell us how deeply the box is
                                    charred.

                                    Thanks again for a great idea!
                                    Tarvus
                                  • waljaco
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 8, 2003
                                      > I think that Australian woods are only used for the vats used for
                                      > primary fermentation in the same way that larch (pinus) is used for
                                      > whisky.To my knowledge only French and US oaks are used for aging wine.
                                      > Italians use other woods such as ash and walnut(?) for grappa aging.
                                      > Wal
                                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
                                      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vojeto" <vojeto@y...> wrote:
                                      > > > FWIW, I recently got this email from the Timber Development
                                      > > > Association of South Australia when I left an inquiry at their
                                      > > website
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Cheers
                                      > > > JRae
                                      > > >
                                      > > > ===========================================================
                                      > > > Gidday John. Toxicity is not an issue in the sense that wood will
                                      > > > harm you. Some trees contain harmful or even poisonous substances,
                                      > > > but only in the sap or the leaves. It is correct that Tasmanian
                                      > > oak
                                      > > > is not a true oak, but a mixture of several eucalypt species which
                                      > > > are very similar to one another. However, that doesn't mean it
                                      > > isn't
                                      > > > suitable for wine making. In fact, a reference in our library
                                      > > > suggests that "mountain and alpine ash and messmate stringybark
                                      > > are
                                      > > > the main [Australian] species used [for wine casks]". These are
                                      > > the
                                      > > > three species marketed commercially as Tasmanian oak. The same
                                      > > > reference says "karri and jarrah have also been used for wine
                                      > > vats".
                                      > > > PETER LLEWELLYN ("Harry & Sal")
                                      > > > Timber Development Association of South Australia
                                      > > > ===========================================================
                                      > >
                                      > > I think Peter Llewellyn might want to have another look at that
                                      > > statement about poisonous substances only being in the leaves and
                                      > > sap. The Australian Blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon)has been used in
                                      > > the past for cooperage (barrels), as seen here in 'uses'...
                                      > > http://www.windsorplywood.com/tropical_woods/australianbl.html
                                      > >
                                      > > but according to the World AgroForestry Database, this tree has a
                                      > > poison in the WOOD (acamelin and 2,6-dimethoxyl-4 benzoquinone)that
                                      > > causes allergic contact dermatitis and bronchial asthma to people
                                      > > working with the wood. See here under 'Functional Uses'...
                                      > > http://www.worldagroforestrycentre.org/Sites/TreeDBS/Aft/speciesinfo.
                                      > > cfm?SpID=71
                                      > >

                                      > > Slainte!
                                      > > regards Harry
                                    • Boot
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 8, 2003
                                        >many moonshiners (what is your local term for this?)

                                        G'day Hector (love your posts, and always read them word for word).

                                        We use the term "moonshiners" here too -- I think it's an old English word
                                        referring to the practice of distilling by night to avoid capture. However,
                                        the local term for moonshiners and bootleggers is "sly groggers". These
                                        days it is mostly used to refer to those who traffic illegal alcohol into
                                        "dry" aboriginal communities, but it's a term I otherwise enjoy and accept
                                        with gratitude.

                                        >But I don¹t remember it as ³Silky² but ³Silly² oak.

                                        This is probably a typo in the original post or perhaps in your memory!
                                        There's not such timber as a "Silly Oak". It should definitely be "Silky
                                        Oak", a well-known large tree here that is currently displaying its lovely
                                        orange flowers around where I Iive.

                                        ... Although, considering the application, "Silly Oak" is not such a bad term.

                                        Cheers,

                                        Boot