Re: [Distillers] gristing

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2001
      On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 10:05:22AM -0000, nvo@... wrote:
      > Does anyone know what the best way to grist my barley prior to
      > mashing.I have used the wifes food processor (to slow as I have 40
      > kilos to do).?

      The best way is with something that will properly grind a grain while
      keeping the integrity of the husk. In Papazian's Joy of Homebrewing, he
      recomends a table-mount flour mill. It's probably not cheap, but it will
      do the best job. Check with a decent homebrew place in your area and tell
      them you are endeavoring into some all-grain brewing and see what
      equipment they recommend.

      Or like Papazian says, if you buy the store's malted grain, they should be
      able to grind it for you right there. He also recommends that you not
      brew (or in this case mash/ferment) in the same area where you grind the
      grain to avoid spoilage by airborne bacteria from the dust of the grind.

      good luck!
      -matt

      Matthew @ psibercom
    • Pete Sayers
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 28, 2001
        One point to remember DONT GRIND THE GRAIN TO A POWDER, all you need to do
        is crack the husk.A jolly sound thumping with an empty beer bottle will
        suffice, Good luck.
        Pete