Re: [Distillers] Re: not so safe

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
      you may want to discuss this with a social worker, perhaps?..

      Andrew <atmoore@...> wrote:Don't take me for a fool smartass. first of all it was cut to 40%
      and second of all I haven't touched a drop in seven months; the side
      effects are still there. I'm just saying be careful.
      squirlybird206

      -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Marsh <chrismarsh@g...>
      wrote:

      > Monday, December 1, 2003, 12:08:16 PM, you wrote:
      >
      > [...]
      > s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
      > s> drinking the juice.
      >
      > Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?
      >
      > Chris

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
        Both Brewing and Distilling are like a Computer.. Garbage in = garbage out.

        You stated you reused 200 ml , and discarded 50mil, but did not state if
        you cleaned your still after you built it, NOR did you state how large a
        wash 50 mil out of 50 liters is too little but 50 mil out of 10 liters is
        fine... , Nor did you state what you had fermented.

        If you can fill us in on the details, then maybe we can help fix your
        dilemma. The smell you mentioned were Fusels that should have been
        discarded. a clean product should have no smell.

        You seem very turned off to distilling at present, and I am sorry for that,
        but you are still posting here so I assume you are still considering
        something. So please give us details and maybe some of us can help

        Steve

        From: "Andrew" <atmoore@...>
        Subject: not so safe

        About a year ago I built a still using this forum, tony's site and
        some other reading material as referance. I felt I was being very
        thorough in my research. I built a reflux still out of 2" copper
        pipe, I used silver solder for the joints, stainless steel pot
        scrubbers for packing, I made sure everything was spotless. My
        first and only product (other than trial runs with cheap wine), was
        distilled from a "turbo yeast" kit. In other words I was careful
        about what I was making. The vodka I distilled measured 95%+ but
        had that "paint thinner" smell I've heard mentioned. Everything I'd
        read said that the fusels will give an off taste but are not
        particularly dangerous (I also discarded the first 50ml and put the
        next 200ml in a redistill jar). I mixed some of the vodka with
        essences, shared some with friends and lated got some active carbon
        to clean up the product even more. The bottom line is that
        the "buzz" I got off of drinking the alcohol felt different than I'm
        used to and after several months of drinking the stuff I've noticed
        some concentration problems and an increase level of fatigue. I
        can't be certain what went wrong but I will say USE EXTREME CAUTION
        if you chose to play with this hobby. I had been so excited about
        building and working my still and now I wish I'd never seen one!

      • dark_taet
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
          I'm with you Andrew, this hobby needs to be taken very carefully.
          One of the things that calmed me down orginally was people brew and
          drink beer with all the contagoners in it... As we are removing
          them we can only be making things better right..??

          Anyway, definately go and have a blood test etc... Did my and found
          somethings that are all bad, but it means they can be treated.

          Best of luck.
        • CornFed (Randy)
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
            fatigue, concentration and memory problems are also a side effect of
            carbon monoxide poisoning. So are unexplained grouchiness and
            headaches.

            the effects of Carbon monixide poisoning is cumulative. A small
            regular dose adds up in the blood stream. The poison accumulates in
            the body organs and it takes a very long time for it to dissipate.
            That is why a steady dosing lets you accumulate more than you can get
            rid of. Do you have a gas stove or hot water heater or furnace in
            your house? Is the exhaust in your automobile intact? Even if you
            use public transportation, diesel fumes are high in carbon monoxide.

            as a memmber of a volunteer fire department, I was called to a
            person's house who's carbon monixide detector kept sounding off. We
            determined that the person had been starting the car in a enclosed
            and attached gaarge to warm it up. The cold weather season has just
            set in here and I have started my gas furnace. I am fortunate that
            the local natural gas utility offers free gas fired appliance
            inspections.

            A doctors visit with directions for them to specifically look for
            carbon monoxide in their list of possibilities will clear it up.

            http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/carbonmonoxidepoisoning.html

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <atmoore@t...> wrote:
            > About a year ago I built a still using this forum, tony's site and
            > some other reading material as referance. I felt I was being very
            > thorough in my research. I built a reflux still out of 2" copper
            > pipe, I used silver solder for the joints, stainless steel pot
            > scrubbers for packing, I made sure everything was spotless. My
            > first and only product (other than trial runs with cheap wine), was
            > distilled from a "turbo yeast" kit. In other words I was careful
            > about what I was making. The vodka I distilled measured 95%+ but
            > had that "paint thinner" smell I've heard mentioned. Everything
            I'd
            > read said that the fusels will give an off taste but are not
            > particularly dangerous (I also discarded the first 50ml and put the
            > next 200ml in a redistill jar). I mixed some of the vodka with
            > essences, shared some with friends and lated got some active carbon
            > to clean up the product even more. The bottom line is that
            > the "buzz" I got off of drinking the alcohol felt different than
            I'm
            > used to and after several months of drinking the stuff I've noticed
            > some concentration problems and an increase level of fatigue. I
            > can't be certain what went wrong but I will say USE EXTREME CAUTION
            > if you chose to play with this hobby. I had been so excited about
            > building and working my still and now I wish I'd never seen one!
          • wolfie_swe
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 8, 2004
              This sounds like someone who's got his heart set out to discurrage
              people from making their own stills?

              // W.

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Laurens W" <lwildebo@b...> wrote:

              > Did anyone ask if this guy percentage he cut the product to before
              consuming!!!

              time,

              > good homemade is much purer and you can drink more of it without

              > getting totally pissed. Next day you'll be still drunk but since
              you

              > don't have a hangover you will not realize it. It might also be
              the

              > age, I get that lack of concentration for next day or two even
              from

              > drinking wast amounts of commercial alcohol nowadays.

              > Greetz, Riku

              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <atmoore@t...> wrote:

              > > About a year ago I built a still using this forum, tony's site
              and

              > > some other reading material as referance. I felt I was being
              very

              > > thorough in my research. I built a reflux still out of 2"
              copper

              > > pipe, I used silver solder for the joints, stainless steel pot

              > > scrubbers for packing, I made sure everything was spotless. My

              > > first and only product (other than trial runs with cheap wine),
              was

              > > distilled from a "turbo yeast" kit. In other words I was
              careful

              > > about what I was making. The vodka I distilled measured 95%+
              but

              > > had that "paint thinner" smell I've heard mentioned. Everything

              > I'd

              > > read said that the fusels will give an off taste but are not

              > > particularly dangerous (I also discarded the first 50ml and put
              the

              > > next 200ml in a redistill jar). I mixed some of the vodka with

              > > essences, shared some with friends and lated got some active
              carbon

              > > to clean up the product even more. The bottom line is that

              > > the "buzz" I got off of drinking the alcohol felt different than

              > I'm

              > > used to and after several months of drinking the stuff I've
              noticed

              > > some concentration problems and an increase level of fatigue. I

              > > can't be certain what went wrong but I will say USE EXTREME
              CAUTION

              > > if you chose to play with this hobby. I had been so excited
              about

              > > building and working my still and now I wish I'd never seen one!

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              > To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
              distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Service.