Re: [Distillers] Re: L-o-n-g columns! Anyone ?

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2003
      in my opinion simply put - NO

      w_upnorth <w_upnorth@...> wrote:
      Is it possible or reasonable to build a horizontal condenser? Say a
      25mm "T" adapted to
      50mm pipe with a condenser inside cap on the end with a small relief
      hole, a slight angel to flow
      product towards needle valves for reflux and take off. Would the
      gained height in the column be worth it?

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stronkus2003" <stronkus2003@y...>

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2003
        w_upnorth wrote:
        Subject: [Distillers] Re: L-o-n-g columns! Anyone ?

        Is it possible or reasonable to build a horizontal condenser? Say a 25mm "T"
        adapted to 50mm pipe with a condenser inside cap on the end with a small
        relief hole, a slight angel to flow product towards needle valves for reflux
        and take off. Would the
        gained height in the column be worth it?
        =========================
        Perfectly feasible. Just ensure that you do have that slight angle so the
        liquid runs the way you want it to.
        The coils used in the recent experiments with air cooling are just that, and
        occupy far less space than an equivalent length of straight tubing.

        Mike N
      • nanosleep
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 1, 2003
          It seems like a lot of trouble for not much return.

          Why not just distill twice? Instant doubling of the column height!!!!

          > w_upnorth wrote:
          > Subject: [Distillers] Re: L-o-n-g columns! Anyone ?
          >
          > Is it possible or reasonable to build a horizontal condenser? Say a
          25mm "T"
          > adapted to 50mm pipe with a condenser inside cap on the end with a small
          > relief hole, a slight angel to flow product towards needle valves
          for reflux
          > and take off. Would the
          > gained height in the column be worth it?
          > =========================
          > Perfectly feasible. Just ensure that you do have that slight angle
          so the
          > liquid runs the way you want it to.
          > The coils used in the recent experiments with air cooling are just
          that, and
          > occupy far less space than an equivalent length of straight tubing.
          >
          > Mike N
        • Mike Nixon
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 1, 2003
            nanosleep wrote:

            It seems like a lot of trouble for not much return.

            Why not just distill twice? Instant doubling of the column height!!!!
            =======================
            Because it is a hobby, NS. Part of the enjoyment of a hobby, for me anyway,
            is seeing if I can push the boundaries of our knowledge a bit further.
            Gardeners spend years looking for the perfect rose. Sports people seek to
            beat their own personal best records. It's fun! :-)

            All the best,
            Mike N
            =======================

            > w_upnorth wrote:
            > Subject: [Distillers] Re: L-o-n-g columns! Anyone ?
            >
            > Is it possible or reasonable to build a horizontal condenser? Say a
            25mm "T"
            > adapted to 50mm pipe with a condenser inside cap on the end with a small
            > relief hole, a slight angel to flow product towards needle valves
            for reflux
            > and take off. Would the
            > gained height in the column be worth it?
            > =========================
            > Perfectly feasible. Just ensure that you do have that slight angle
            so the
            > liquid runs the way you want it to.
            > The coils used in the recent experiments with air cooling are just
            that, and
            > occupy far less space than an equivalent length of straight tubing.
            >
            > Mike N

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
            distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          • homedistiller
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
              Nanosleep,

              It depends what one likes.

              I really would enjoy an entire batch being finished in one hour!

              I really would enjoy a small-diameter-continuous-still of, let's say,
              5 or 6 meters high, nicely chugging along!

              Wouldn't you ?

              Regards,
              Dirk