Re: L-o-n-g columns! Anyone ?

  • homedistiller
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2003
      (LOL) Even better!

      To avoid that (indeed very crucial!) small hole in your head, (you
      could try to) explain your wife that you will extend the column even
      higher!

      You could even let her choose the colour of the surrounding box, that
      is absolutely necessary to insulate the column!

      Regards,
      Dirk

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stronkus2003" <stronkus2003@y...>
      wrote:
      > I am sure You are right but another small parameter to be concerned
      > is the relatively small but crucial hole I will obtain in my head
      if
      > the wife sees a column emerge from the cellar into the kitchen...;-)
      >
      > Regards Stronk
    • w_upnorth
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2003
        Is it possible or reasonable to build a horizontal condenser? Say a
        25mm "T" adapted to
        50mm pipe with a condenser inside cap on the end with a small relief
        hole, a slight angel to flow
        product towards needle valves for reflux and take off. Would the
        gained height in the column be worth it?

        wrote:
        > Hi Dirk, what I am thinking is that since most of us have a limited
        > height to use, the primary concern when building should be to build a
        > column head as short as ever possible to get a column as high as
        > possible and that total reflux control should be secondary.
        >
        > Hm time to go home and rebuild again.....
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Stronk
        >
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homedistiller"
        > <homedistiller@y...> wrote:
        > > Stronkus, you absolutely have a right clue, but reflux is always
        > > necessary!
        > >
        > > Heightening a column creates the possibility of increasing the
        > amount
        > > of stages.
        > > More stages means less reflux necessary for the same purity.
        > > Less reflux will result in much greater efficiency.
        > >
        > > Again I refer to:
        > > http://persephone.agcom.purdue.edu/AgCom/Pubs/AE/AE-117.html
        > >
        > > Check table 4
        > >
        > > Less reflux demands more stages, but will reward you with less
        > energy
        > > consumption, smaller columns and less distilling time.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Dirk
        > >

        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stronkus2003"
        > <stronkus2003@y...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > Yes I realise that, I am just beeing curious that maybe it would
        > be
        > > > an easy way to go to build a column without a reflux head and use
        > > the
        > > > available space to build a taller column and get a good result. Or
        > > am
        > > > I totally getting it wrong?

        > > > the point that you don't use cooling water, then you have what
        > you
        > > > want.

        > > > fractionating still without any reflux and get the same quality
        > and
        > > > output? It would be a lot easier to build and probably easier to
        > > run.
        > > > Or? Regards Stronk

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 1, 2003
          Assuming you build a column without reflux head and have it properly
          insulated there's no reflux and the result is essentially the same as
          no column at all. Uninsulated column let's vapors condense on the
          column inner surface and provides reflux that way. However, it's not
          as efficient as having all the reflux appear at the top of the
          packing and flow down. Top down approach utilizes all the packing for
          re-evaporation and recondensing cycle while sidecondensing utilizes
          only part of the packing (not to mention channeling at the column
          surface) and somewhat disturbs the equilibrium.

          BTW, my LM rig has 1.4 meters of packing and it works well with low
          reflux ratios.

          Greetz, Riku

          wrote:
          > Yes I realise that, I am just beeing curious that maybe it would be
          > an easy way to go to build a column without a reflux head and use
          the
          > available space to build a taller column and get a good result. Or
          am
          > I totally getting it wrong?
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:
          > > You already have it. If you reduce the heat input in your boiler
          > the point that you don't use cooling water, then you have what you
          > want.
          > >
          > > stronkus2003 <stronkus2003@y...> wrote:Is it possible to build a
          > fractionating still without any reflux and get the same quality and
          > output? It would be a lot easier to build and probably easier to
          run.
          > Or? Regards Stronk
          > >

          > > I can be wrong I must say
          > > Cheers, Alex...

        • BOKAKOB
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 1, 2003
            in my opinion simply put - NO

            wrote:
            > Hi Dirk, what I am thinking is that since most of us have a limited
            > height to use, the primary concern when building should be to build a
            > column head as short as ever possible to get a column as high as
            > possible and that total reflux control should be secondary.
            >
            > Hm time to go home and rebuild again.....
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Stronk
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homedistiller"
            > <homedistiller@y...> wrote:
            > > Stronkus, you absolutely have a right clue, but reflux is always
            > > necessary!
            > >
            > > Heightening a column creates the possibility of increasing the
            > amount
            > > of stages.
            > > More stages means less reflux necessary for the same purity.
            > > Less reflux will result in much greater efficiency.
            > >
            > > Again I refer to:
            > > http://persephone.agcom.purdue.edu/AgCom/Pubs/AE/AE-117.html
            > >
            > > Check table 4
            > >
            > > Less reflux demands more stages, but will reward you with less
            > energy
            > > consumption, smaller columns and less distilling time.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Dirk
            > >

            > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stronkus2003"
            > <stronkus2003@y...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > Yes I realise that, I am just beeing curious that maybe it would
            > be
            > > > an easy way to go to build a column without a reflux head and use
            > > the
            > > > available space to build a taller column and get a good result. Or
            > > am
            > > > I totally getting it wrong?

            > > > the point that you don't use cooling water, then you have what
            > you
            > > > want.

            > > > fractionating still without any reflux and get the same quality
            > and
            > > > output? It would be a lot easier to build and probably easier to
            > > run.
            > > > Or? Regards Stronk

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            I can be wrong I must say
            Cheers, Alex...

          • Mike Nixon
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 1, 2003
              w_upnorth wrote:
              Subject: [Distillers] Re: L-o-n-g columns! Anyone ?

              Is it possible or reasonable to build a horizontal condenser? Say a 25mm "T"
              adapted to 50mm pipe with a condenser inside cap on the end with a small
              relief hole, a slight angel to flow product towards needle valves for reflux
              and take off. Would the
              gained height in the column be worth it?
              =========================
              Perfectly feasible. Just ensure that you do have that slight angle so the
              liquid runs the way you want it to.
              The coils used in the recent experiments with air cooling are just that, and
              occupy far less space than an equivalent length of straight tubing.

              Mike N
            • nanosleep
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 1, 2003
                It seems like a lot of trouble for not much return.

                Why not just distill twice? Instant doubling of the column height!!!!

                > w_upnorth wrote:
                > Subject: [Distillers] Re: L-o-n-g columns! Anyone ?
                >
                > Is it possible or reasonable to build a horizontal condenser? Say a
                25mm "T"
                > adapted to 50mm pipe with a condenser inside cap on the end with a small
                > relief hole, a slight angel to flow product towards needle valves
                for reflux
                > and take off. Would the
                > gained height in the column be worth it?
                > =========================
                > Perfectly feasible. Just ensure that you do have that slight angle
                so the
                > liquid runs the way you want it to.
                > The coils used in the recent experiments with air cooling are just
                that, and
                > occupy far less space than an equivalent length of straight tubing.
                >
                > Mike N
              • Mike Nixon
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 1, 2003
                  nanosleep wrote:

                  It seems like a lot of trouble for not much return.

                  Why not just distill twice? Instant doubling of the column height!!!!
                  =======================
                  Because it is a hobby, NS. Part of the enjoyment of a hobby, for me anyway,
                  is seeing if I can push the boundaries of our knowledge a bit further.
                  Gardeners spend years looking for the perfect rose. Sports people seek to
                  beat their own personal best records. It's fun! :-)

                  All the best,
                  Mike N
                  =======================

                  > w_upnorth wrote:
                  > Subject: [Distillers] Re: L-o-n-g columns! Anyone ?
                  >
                  > Is it possible or reasonable to build a horizontal condenser? Say a
                  25mm "T"
                  > adapted to 50mm pipe with a condenser inside cap on the end with a small
                  > relief hole, a slight angel to flow product towards needle valves
                  for reflux
                  > and take off. Would the
                  > gained height in the column be worth it?
                  > =========================
                  > Perfectly feasible. Just ensure that you do have that slight angle
                  so the
                  > liquid runs the way you want it to.
                  > The coils used in the recent experiments with air cooling are just
                  that, and
                  > occupy far less space than an equivalent length of straight tubing.
                  >
                  > Mike N

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
                  distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                • homedistiller
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                    Nanosleep,

                    It depends what one likes.

                    I really would enjoy an entire batch being finished in one hour!

                    I really would enjoy a small-diameter-continuous-still of, let's say,
                    5 or 6 meters high, nicely chugging along!

                    Wouldn't you ?

                    Regards,
                    Dirk