Re: not so safe

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
      Don't take me for a fool smartass. first of all it was cut to 40%
      and second of all I haven't touched a drop in seven months; the side
      effects are still there. I'm just saying be careful.
      squirlybird206

      -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Marsh <chrismarsh@g...>
      wrote:

      > Monday, December 1, 2003, 12:08:16 PM, you wrote:
      >
      > [...]
      > s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
      > s> drinking the juice.
      >
      > Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?
      >
      > Chris
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
        Have you visited doctor lately? Those side effects may not be coming
        from alcohol, but something else (tumor in brain as a worst case). It
        sounds you did your home work and sugar wash doesn't produce more
        toxic compounds than say redvine (actually a bit less). If you used
        lead free solders and non-recycled copper for the column there's no
        toxins there either. Since you even cut the worst stuff out I'd
        suspect your symptoms are caused by something else than self made
        alcohol. Worth investigating maybe?

        Greetz, Riku

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <atmoore@t...> wrote:
        > Don't take me for a fool smartass. first of all it was cut to 40%
        > and second of all I haven't touched a drop in seven months; the
        side
        > effects are still there. I'm just saying be careful.
        > squirlybird206
        >

        > -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Marsh <chrismarsh@g...>
        > wrote:
        > >

        > > Monday, December 1, 2003, 12:08:16 PM, you wrote:
        > >
        > > [...]
        > > s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
        > > s> drinking the juice.
        > >
        > > Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?
        > >
        > > Chris
      • BOKAKOB
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
          Don't take in any chemicals to regulate your body unless the person is abnormally sick. You have a marvelus machine which is self-adjusting.

          Austin Smith <asmith1@...> wrote:My doctor also recommends 500mg of Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide) per day to combat the feelings of fatigue. You might also reflect on how your drinking "post still" compares to your drinking "pre-still". You may be drinking more than you realize.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          I can be wrong I must say
          Cheers, Alex...

        • Chris Marsh
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003

            A> Don't take me for a fool smartass. first of all it was cut to 40%
            A> and second of all I haven't touched a drop in seven months; the side
            A> effects are still there. I'm just saying be careful.
            A> squirlybird206

            A> -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Marsh <chrismarsh@g...>
            A> wrote:
            >>

            >> Monday, December 1, 2003, 12:08:16 PM, you wrote:
            >>
            >> [...]
            >> s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
            >> s> drinking the juice.
            >>
            >> Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?
            >>
            >> Chris

            [...]

            I am sorry if you took offence at my comments about Pink elephants, it
            was not aimed at you in any way. Have you no sense of humour?

            I have been subscribed for a long time now, there is even or there was
            a picture of my set up on Tony's site.

            With this sort of attitude creeping in I shall seriously consider
            unscribing.

            Chris.
            --
          • BOKAKOB
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
              you may want to discuss this with a social worker, perhaps?..

              Andrew <atmoore@...> wrote:Don't take me for a fool smartass. first of all it was cut to 40%

              wrote:

              > Monday, December 1, 2003, 12:08:16 PM, you wrote:
              >
              > [...]
              > s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
              > s> drinking the juice.
              >
              > Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?
              >
              > Chris

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              I can be wrong I must say
              Cheers, Alex...

            • Steve
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                Both Brewing and Distilling are like a Computer.. Garbage in = garbage out.

                You stated you reused 200 ml , and discarded 50mil, but did not state if
                you cleaned your still after you built it, NOR did you state how large a
                wash 50 mil out of 50 liters is too little but 50 mil out of 10 liters is
                fine... , Nor did you state what you had fermented.

                If you can fill us in on the details, then maybe we can help fix your
                dilemma. The smell you mentioned were Fusels that should have been
                discarded. a clean product should have no smell.

                You seem very turned off to distilling at present, and I am sorry for that,
                but you are still posting here so I assume you are still considering
                something. So please give us details and maybe some of us can help

                Steve

                From: "Andrew" <atmoore@...>
                Subject: not so safe

                About a year ago I built a still using this forum, tony's site and
                some other reading material as referance. I felt I was being very
                thorough in my research. I built a reflux still out of 2" copper
                pipe, I used silver solder for the joints, stainless steel pot
                scrubbers for packing, I made sure everything was spotless. My
                first and only product (other than trial runs with cheap wine), was
                distilled from a "turbo yeast" kit. In other words I was careful
                about what I was making. The vodka I distilled measured 95%+ but
                had that "paint thinner" smell I've heard mentioned. Everything I'd
                read said that the fusels will give an off taste but are not
                particularly dangerous (I also discarded the first 50ml and put the
                next 200ml in a redistill jar). I mixed some of the vodka with
                essences, shared some with friends and lated got some active carbon
                to clean up the product even more. The bottom line is that
                the "buzz" I got off of drinking the alcohol felt different than I'm
                used to and after several months of drinking the stuff I've noticed
                some concentration problems and an increase level of fatigue. I
                can't be certain what went wrong but I will say USE EXTREME CAUTION
                if you chose to play with this hobby. I had been so excited about
                building and working my still and now I wish I'd never seen one!

              • dark_taet
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                  I'm with you Andrew, this hobby needs to be taken very carefully.
                  One of the things that calmed me down orginally was people brew and
                  drink beer with all the contagoners in it... As we are removing
                  them we can only be making things better right..??

                  Anyway, definately go and have a blood test etc... Did my and found
                  somethings that are all bad, but it means they can be treated.

                  Best of luck.
                • CornFed (Randy)
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                    fatigue, concentration and memory problems are also a side effect of
                    carbon monoxide poisoning. So are unexplained grouchiness and
                    headaches.

                    the effects of Carbon monixide poisoning is cumulative. A small
                    regular dose adds up in the blood stream. The poison accumulates in
                    the body organs and it takes a very long time for it to dissipate.
                    That is why a steady dosing lets you accumulate more than you can get
                    rid of. Do you have a gas stove or hot water heater or furnace in
                    your house? Is the exhaust in your automobile intact? Even if you
                    use public transportation, diesel fumes are high in carbon monoxide.

                    as a memmber of a volunteer fire department, I was called to a
                    person's house who's carbon monixide detector kept sounding off. We
                    determined that the person had been starting the car in a enclosed
                    and attached gaarge to warm it up. The cold weather season has just
                    set in here and I have started my gas furnace. I am fortunate that
                    the local natural gas utility offers free gas fired appliance
                    inspections.

                    A doctors visit with directions for them to specifically look for
                    carbon monoxide in their list of possibilities will clear it up.

                    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/carbonmonoxidepoisoning.html

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <atmoore@t...> wrote:
                    > About a year ago I built a still using this forum, tony's site and
                    > some other reading material as referance. I felt I was being very
                    > thorough in my research. I built a reflux still out of 2" copper
                    > pipe, I used silver solder for the joints, stainless steel pot
                    > scrubbers for packing, I made sure everything was spotless. My
                    > first and only product (other than trial runs with cheap wine), was
                    > distilled from a "turbo yeast" kit. In other words I was careful
                    > about what I was making. The vodka I distilled measured 95%+ but
                    > had that "paint thinner" smell I've heard mentioned. Everything
                    I'd
                    > read said that the fusels will give an off taste but are not
                    > particularly dangerous (I also discarded the first 50ml and put the
                    > next 200ml in a redistill jar). I mixed some of the vodka with
                    > essences, shared some with friends and lated got some active carbon
                    > to clean up the product even more. The bottom line is that
                    > the "buzz" I got off of drinking the alcohol felt different than
                    I'm
                    > used to and after several months of drinking the stuff I've noticed
                    > some concentration problems and an increase level of fatigue. I
                    > can't be certain what went wrong but I will say USE EXTREME CAUTION
                    > if you chose to play with this hobby. I had been so excited about
                    > building and working my still and now I wish I'd never seen one!
                  • wolfie_swe
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 8, 2004
                      This sounds like someone who's got his heart set out to discurrage
                      people from making their own stills?

                      // W.

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Laurens W" <lwildebo@b...> wrote:

                      > Did anyone ask if this guy percentage he cut the product to before
                      consuming!!!

                      time,

                      > good homemade is much purer and you can drink more of it without

                      > getting totally pissed. Next day you'll be still drunk but since
                      you

                      > don't have a hangover you will not realize it. It might also be
                      the

                      > age, I get that lack of concentration for next day or two even
                      from

                      > drinking wast amounts of commercial alcohol nowadays.

                      > Greetz, Riku

                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <atmoore@t...> wrote:

                      > > About a year ago I built a still using this forum, tony's site
                      and

                      > > some other reading material as referance. I felt I was being
                      very

                      > > thorough in my research. I built a reflux still out of 2"
                      copper

                      > > pipe, I used silver solder for the joints, stainless steel pot

                      > > scrubbers for packing, I made sure everything was spotless. My

                      > > first and only product (other than trial runs with cheap wine),
                      was

                      > > distilled from a "turbo yeast" kit. In other words I was
                      careful

                      > > about what I was making. The vodka I distilled measured 95%+
                      but

                      > > had that "paint thinner" smell I've heard mentioned. Everything

                      > I'd

                      > > read said that the fusels will give an off taste but are not

                      > > particularly dangerous (I also discarded the first 50ml and put
                      the

                      > > next 200ml in a redistill jar). I mixed some of the vodka with

                      > > essences, shared some with friends and lated got some active
                      carbon

                      > > to clean up the product even more. The bottom line is that

                      > > the "buzz" I got off of drinking the alcohol felt different than

                      > I'm

                      > > used to and after several months of drinking the stuff I've
                      noticed

                      > > some concentration problems and an increase level of fatigue. I

                      > > can't be certain what went wrong but I will say USE EXTREME
                      CAUTION

                      > > if you chose to play with this hobby. I had been so excited
                      about

                      > > building and working my still and now I wish I'd never seen one!

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      > To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
                      distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      Service.