Re: [Distillers] Re: not so safe

  • Chris Marsh
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003

      [...]
      s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
      s> drinking the juice.

      Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?

      Chris
    • Austin Smith
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
        My doctor also recommends 500mg of Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide) per day to combat the feelings of fatigue. You might also reflect on how your drinking "post still" compares to your drinking "pre-still". You may be drinking more than you realize.

      • Andrew
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
          Don't take me for a fool smartass. first of all it was cut to 40%
          and second of all I haven't touched a drop in seven months; the side
          effects are still there. I'm just saying be careful.
          squirlybird206

          -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Marsh <chrismarsh@g...>
          wrote:

          > Monday, December 1, 2003, 12:08:16 PM, you wrote:
          >
          > [...]
          > s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
          > s> drinking the juice.
          >
          > Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?
          >
          > Chris
        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
            Have you visited doctor lately? Those side effects may not be coming
            from alcohol, but something else (tumor in brain as a worst case). It
            sounds you did your home work and sugar wash doesn't produce more
            toxic compounds than say redvine (actually a bit less). If you used
            lead free solders and non-recycled copper for the column there's no
            toxins there either. Since you even cut the worst stuff out I'd
            suspect your symptoms are caused by something else than self made
            alcohol. Worth investigating maybe?

            Greetz, Riku

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <atmoore@t...> wrote:
            > Don't take me for a fool smartass. first of all it was cut to 40%
            > and second of all I haven't touched a drop in seven months; the
            side
            > effects are still there. I'm just saying be careful.
            > squirlybird206
            >

            > -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Marsh <chrismarsh@g...>
            > wrote:
            > >

            > > Monday, December 1, 2003, 12:08:16 PM, you wrote:
            > >
            > > [...]
            > > s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
            > > s> drinking the juice.
            > >
            > > Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?
            > >
            > > Chris
          • BOKAKOB
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
              Don't take in any chemicals to regulate your body unless the person is abnormally sick. You have a marvelus machine which is self-adjusting.

              Austin Smith <asmith1@...> wrote:My doctor also recommends 500mg of Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide) per day to combat the feelings of fatigue. You might also reflect on how your drinking "post still" compares to your drinking "pre-still". You may be drinking more than you realize.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              I can be wrong I must say
              Cheers, Alex...

            • Chris Marsh
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003

                A> Don't take me for a fool smartass. first of all it was cut to 40%
                A> and second of all I haven't touched a drop in seven months; the side
                A> effects are still there. I'm just saying be careful.
                A> squirlybird206

                A> -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Marsh <chrismarsh@g...>
                A> wrote:
                >>

                >> Monday, December 1, 2003, 12:08:16 PM, you wrote:
                >>
                >> [...]
                >> s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
                >> s> drinking the juice.
                >>
                >> Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?
                >>
                >> Chris

                [...]

                I am sorry if you took offence at my comments about Pink elephants, it
                was not aimed at you in any way. Have you no sense of humour?

                I have been subscribed for a long time now, there is even or there was
                a picture of my set up on Tony's site.

                With this sort of attitude creeping in I shall seriously consider
                unscribing.

                Chris.
                --
              • BOKAKOB
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                  you may want to discuss this with a social worker, perhaps?..

                  Andrew <atmoore@...> wrote:Don't take me for a fool smartass. first of all it was cut to 40%

                  wrote:

                  > Monday, December 1, 2003, 12:08:16 PM, you wrote:
                  >
                  > [...]
                  > s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
                  > s> drinking the juice.
                  >
                  > Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?
                  >
                  > Chris

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  I can be wrong I must say
                  Cheers, Alex...

                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                    Both Brewing and Distilling are like a Computer.. Garbage in = garbage out.

                    You stated you reused 200 ml , and discarded 50mil, but did not state if
                    you cleaned your still after you built it, NOR did you state how large a
                    wash 50 mil out of 50 liters is too little but 50 mil out of 10 liters is
                    fine... , Nor did you state what you had fermented.

                    If you can fill us in on the details, then maybe we can help fix your
                    dilemma. The smell you mentioned were Fusels that should have been
                    discarded. a clean product should have no smell.

                    You seem very turned off to distilling at present, and I am sorry for that,
                    but you are still posting here so I assume you are still considering
                    something. So please give us details and maybe some of us can help

                    Steve

                    From: "Andrew" <atmoore@...>
                    Subject: not so safe

                    About a year ago I built a still using this forum, tony's site and
                    some other reading material as referance. I felt I was being very
                    thorough in my research. I built a reflux still out of 2" copper
                    pipe, I used silver solder for the joints, stainless steel pot
                    scrubbers for packing, I made sure everything was spotless. My
                    first and only product (other than trial runs with cheap wine), was
                    distilled from a "turbo yeast" kit. In other words I was careful
                    about what I was making. The vodka I distilled measured 95%+ but
                    had that "paint thinner" smell I've heard mentioned. Everything I'd
                    read said that the fusels will give an off taste but are not
                    particularly dangerous (I also discarded the first 50ml and put the
                    next 200ml in a redistill jar). I mixed some of the vodka with
                    essences, shared some with friends and lated got some active carbon
                    to clean up the product even more. The bottom line is that
                    the "buzz" I got off of drinking the alcohol felt different than I'm
                    used to and after several months of drinking the stuff I've noticed
                    some concentration problems and an increase level of fatigue. I
                    can't be certain what went wrong but I will say USE EXTREME CAUTION
                    if you chose to play with this hobby. I had been so excited about
                    building and working my still and now I wish I'd never seen one!

                  • dark_taet
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                      I'm with you Andrew, this hobby needs to be taken very carefully.
                      One of the things that calmed me down orginally was people brew and
                      drink beer with all the contagoners in it... As we are removing
                      them we can only be making things better right..??

                      Anyway, definately go and have a blood test etc... Did my and found
                      somethings that are all bad, but it means they can be treated.

                      Best of luck.
                    • CornFed (Randy)
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                        fatigue, concentration and memory problems are also a side effect of
                        carbon monoxide poisoning. So are unexplained grouchiness and
                        headaches.

                        the effects of Carbon monixide poisoning is cumulative. A small
                        regular dose adds up in the blood stream. The poison accumulates in
                        the body organs and it takes a very long time for it to dissipate.
                        That is why a steady dosing lets you accumulate more than you can get
                        rid of. Do you have a gas stove or hot water heater or furnace in
                        your house? Is the exhaust in your automobile intact? Even if you
                        use public transportation, diesel fumes are high in carbon monoxide.

                        as a memmber of a volunteer fire department, I was called to a
                        person's house who's carbon monixide detector kept sounding off. We
                        determined that the person had been starting the car in a enclosed
                        and attached gaarge to warm it up. The cold weather season has just
                        set in here and I have started my gas furnace. I am fortunate that
                        the local natural gas utility offers free gas fired appliance
                        inspections.

                        A doctors visit with directions for them to specifically look for
                        carbon monoxide in their list of possibilities will clear it up.

                        http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/carbonmonoxidepoisoning.html

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <atmoore@t...> wrote:
                        > About a year ago I built a still using this forum, tony's site and
                        > some other reading material as referance. I felt I was being very
                        > thorough in my research. I built a reflux still out of 2" copper
                        > pipe, I used silver solder for the joints, stainless steel pot
                        > scrubbers for packing, I made sure everything was spotless. My
                        > first and only product (other than trial runs with cheap wine), was
                        > distilled from a "turbo yeast" kit. In other words I was careful
                        > about what I was making. The vodka I distilled measured 95%+ but
                        > had that "paint thinner" smell I've heard mentioned. Everything
                        I'd
                        > read said that the fusels will give an off taste but are not
                        > particularly dangerous (I also discarded the first 50ml and put the
                        > next 200ml in a redistill jar). I mixed some of the vodka with
                        > essences, shared some with friends and lated got some active carbon
                        > to clean up the product even more. The bottom line is that
                        > the "buzz" I got off of drinking the alcohol felt different than
                        I'm
                        > used to and after several months of drinking the stuff I've noticed
                        > some concentration problems and an increase level of fatigue. I
                        > can't be certain what went wrong but I will say USE EXTREME CAUTION
                        > if you chose to play with this hobby. I had been so excited about
                        > building and working my still and now I wish I'd never seen one!
                      • wolfie_swe
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 8, 2004
                          This sounds like someone who's got his heart set out to discurrage
                          people from making their own stills?

                          // W.

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Laurens W" <lwildebo@b...> wrote:

                          > Did anyone ask if this guy percentage he cut the product to before
                          consuming!!!

                          time,

                          > good homemade is much purer and you can drink more of it without

                          > getting totally pissed. Next day you'll be still drunk but since
                          you

                          > don't have a hangover you will not realize it. It might also be
                          the

                          > age, I get that lack of concentration for next day or two even
                          from

                          > drinking wast amounts of commercial alcohol nowadays.

                          > Greetz, Riku

                          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <atmoore@t...> wrote:

                          > > About a year ago I built a still using this forum, tony's site
                          and

                          > > some other reading material as referance. I felt I was being
                          very

                          > > thorough in my research. I built a reflux still out of 2"
                          copper

                          > > pipe, I used silver solder for the joints, stainless steel pot

                          > > scrubbers for packing, I made sure everything was spotless. My

                          > > first and only product (other than trial runs with cheap wine),
                          was

                          > > distilled from a "turbo yeast" kit. In other words I was
                          careful

                          > > about what I was making. The vodka I distilled measured 95%+
                          but

                          > > had that "paint thinner" smell I've heard mentioned. Everything

                          > I'd

                          > > read said that the fusels will give an off taste but are not

                          > > particularly dangerous (I also discarded the first 50ml and put
                          the

                          > > next 200ml in a redistill jar). I mixed some of the vodka with

                          > > essences, shared some with friends and lated got some active
                          carbon

                          > > to clean up the product even more. The bottom line is that

                          > > the "buzz" I got off of drinking the alcohol felt different than

                          > I'm

                          > > used to and after several months of drinking the stuff I've
                          noticed

                          > > some concentration problems and an increase level of fatigue. I

                          > > can't be certain what went wrong but I will say USE EXTREME
                          CAUTION

                          > > if you chose to play with this hobby. I had been so excited
                          about

                          > > building and working my still and now I wish I'd never seen one!

                          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          > To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
                          distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                          Service.