Re: Why use an airlock?

  • jimpuchai
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003

      > What/which kind of turbo are you using? Quite a few of them very
      > specifically say never to make more than 25 L at a time (heat
      issues
      > i'd assume, but i can't remember exactly why). I personally went
      out
      > and got some 14% http://turbo-yeast.com/batchyeast.html yeast
      > specifically because there ain't no limit on batch sizes. (Though
      > can't imagine how they concluded 3 days of fermenting is enough,
      mine
      > bubbled away happily for 5 days and didn't wind down till the 7th)
      >
      > Anyways, I was going to do exactly what you've come up with, but i
      > found $5/5 gallon (~19L) fermenting buckets at my local homebrew
      > shop, which work for now. Though instead of using a bubbler
      airlock,
      > I just use a tube and a water filled jar, though thats probably
      > unnecessary too :O)

      The last yeast I used was Alcotec 8 and before that Still Spirits
      Turbo Yeast. I just cannot recall if any one is better than the
      others. I just think of them as a generic "Turbo" and just use what
      comes to hand. I am in no hurry, and if it takes 7 or 10 days it
      simply does not matter.
      What did matter, was that I realized that some Turbo yeasts were
      costing more than the amount of sugar stated on the pack. Bearing in
      mind this is just a hobby, I started to focus on the economics and
      ways to bend and stretch the envelope. I am not a tightwad, I just
      felt that there had to be cheaper ways.

      The tube and water filled jar is good. For a more economical
      approach, just slip a childs ballon over the pipe and secure it.
      Make just one pinhole in the balloon. As the CO2 expands the ballon
      it will expand the pinhole and create a self regulating one way
      valve.

      I'm off now, it's time to take the mash for a walk,

      Regards,
      Jim.