Re: Why use an airlock?

  • Mr. Brew Diggity Dog
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jimpuchai" <puchai4@o...> wrote:
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "birddawg39180" <cegrey@c...>
      > wrote:
      > > I'm new here and this is my first post, but I was wondering - why
      > do
      > > you have have to use an airlock when fermenting. I know an air
      > lock
      > > is neccessary for wine making if you want a kinda bubbly bite,
      but
      > > wine can be made without. Since this is about distilling, it does
      > not
      > > seem neccessary. Someone set me straight.
      >
      > Well, I can tell you what works for me. I suppose down the years
      you
      > notice that this that or the other step seems unneccessary and can
      > be dispensed with. I don't even own an airlock or a food quality
      > plastic fermenting vessel.
      > I use a wheelie bin of about 70 litres I think. I buy CLEAR
      > polythene bin liners made for shipping dry goods in drums. You can
      > also get excellent quality bin liners from cleaning supply
      > companies. I always make sure that the liner has about 150 litre or
      > more capacity.
      > Place the liner inside the bin. Dissolve the sugar in warm water
      > then add enogh cold to reach your total. I never measure the volume
      > of my water, just stand the bin on some bathroom scales and make
      > some small allowance for the weight of the bin, then top up with
      the
      > hosepipe. Pitch the turbo at the recommended temperature and then
      > gather the excess plastic liner together some inches above the
      > surface and twist into a loose rope. Some strong elastic bands to
      > hold it like that, and you're done.
      > The turbo yeast will generate enough CO2 to displace the air and
      > will do so until you reach to nearly the end of your ferment. To
      > exclude air then, twist the plastic spiral a little tighter.
      >
      > To add to my sins, I routinely stretch my turbo to 12kg of sugar
      and
      > top up to 60 litre total. It has always fermented out, but not
      > always at turbo speed. I am in no great hurry anyway. One final
      sin,
      > I rinse out the liner when the mash is finished and use it inside
      > out for the next mash.
      > I should say that your mileage may vary. Mine never has.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Jim.
      >
      > PS
      > If you don't own a dog or a baby, you can always take your mash for
      > a walk :-)

      What/which kind of turbo are you using? Quite a few of them very
      specifically say never to make more than 25 L at a time (heat issues
      i'd assume, but i can't remember exactly why). I personally went out
      and got some 14% http://turbo-yeast.com/batchyeast.html yeast
      specifically because there ain't no limit on batch sizes. (Though I
      can't imagine how they concluded 3 days of fermenting is enough, mine
      bubbled away happily for 5 days and didn't wind down till the 7th)

      Anyways, I was going to do exactly what you've come up with, but i
      found $5/5 gallon (~19L) fermenting buckets at my local homebrew
      shop, which work for now. Though instead of using a bubbler airlock,
      I just use a tube and a water filled jar, though thats probably
      unnecessary too :O)
    • jimpuchai
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003

        > What/which kind of turbo are you using? Quite a few of them very
        > specifically say never to make more than 25 L at a time (heat
        issues
        > i'd assume, but i can't remember exactly why). I personally went
        out
        > and got some 14% http://turbo-yeast.com/batchyeast.html yeast
        > specifically because there ain't no limit on batch sizes. (Though
        > can't imagine how they concluded 3 days of fermenting is enough,
        mine
        > bubbled away happily for 5 days and didn't wind down till the 7th)
        >
        > Anyways, I was going to do exactly what you've come up with, but i
        > found $5/5 gallon (~19L) fermenting buckets at my local homebrew
        > shop, which work for now. Though instead of using a bubbler
        airlock,
        > I just use a tube and a water filled jar, though thats probably
        > unnecessary too :O)

        The last yeast I used was Alcotec 8 and before that Still Spirits
        Turbo Yeast. I just cannot recall if any one is better than the
        others. I just think of them as a generic "Turbo" and just use what
        comes to hand. I am in no hurry, and if it takes 7 or 10 days it
        simply does not matter.
        What did matter, was that I realized that some Turbo yeasts were
        costing more than the amount of sugar stated on the pack. Bearing in
        mind this is just a hobby, I started to focus on the economics and
        ways to bend and stretch the envelope. I am not a tightwad, I just
        felt that there had to be cheaper ways.

        The tube and water filled jar is good. For a more economical
        approach, just slip a childs ballon over the pipe and secure it.
        Make just one pinhole in the balloon. As the CO2 expands the ballon
        it will expand the pinhole and create a self regulating one way
        valve.

        I'm off now, it's time to take the mash for a walk,

        Regards,
        Jim.