Re: [Distillers] Re: not so safe

  • Laurens W
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
      Did anyone ask if this guy percentage he cut the product to before consuming!!!

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
        Well my experience is that by getting high quality alcohol in an easy
        way one tend to consume a little bit more than normally, especially
        since You do not get the thunderbolt type of hangovers...Alcohol
        consumption can and will mess up Your brain if taken in too big
        amounts, the problem is to define "too big amounts" since this is
        very individual. But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
        drinking the juice.

        Regards

        Stronk

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <atmoore@t...> wrote:
        > About a year ago I built a still using this forum, tony's site and
        > some other reading material as referance. I felt I was being very
        > thorough in my research. I built a reflux still out of 2" copper
        > pipe, I used silver solder for the joints, stainless steel pot
        > scrubbers for packing, I made sure everything was spotless. My
        > first and only product (other than trial runs with cheap wine), was
        > distilled from a "turbo yeast" kit. In other words I was careful
        > about what I was making. The vodka I distilled measured 95%+ but
        > had that "paint thinner" smell I've heard mentioned. Everything
        I'd
        > read said that the fusels will give an off taste but are not
        > particularly dangerous (I also discarded the first 50ml and put the
        > next 200ml in a redistill jar). I mixed some of the vodka with
        > essences, shared some with friends and lated got some active carbon
        > to clean up the product even more. The bottom line is that
        > the "buzz" I got off of drinking the alcohol felt different than
        I'm
        > used to and after several months of drinking the stuff I've noticed
        > some concentration problems and an increase level of fatigue. I
        > can't be certain what went wrong but I will say USE EXTREME CAUTION
        > if you chose to play with this hobby. I had been so excited about
        > building and working my still and now I wish I'd never seen one!
      • Chris Marsh
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003

          [...]
          s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
          s> drinking the juice.

          Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?

          Chris
        • Austin Smith
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
            My doctor also recommends 500mg of Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide) per day to combat the feelings of fatigue. You might also reflect on how your drinking "post still" compares to your drinking "pre-still". You may be drinking more than you realize.

          • Andrew
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
              Don't take me for a fool smartass. first of all it was cut to 40%
              and second of all I haven't touched a drop in seven months; the side
              effects are still there. I'm just saying be careful.
              squirlybird206

              -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Marsh <chrismarsh@g...>
              wrote:

              > Monday, December 1, 2003, 12:08:16 PM, you wrote:
              >
              > [...]
              > s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
              > s> drinking the juice.
              >
              > Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?
              >
              > Chris
            • abbababbaccc
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                Have you visited doctor lately? Those side effects may not be coming
                from alcohol, but something else (tumor in brain as a worst case). It
                sounds you did your home work and sugar wash doesn't produce more
                toxic compounds than say redvine (actually a bit less). If you used
                lead free solders and non-recycled copper for the column there's no
                toxins there either. Since you even cut the worst stuff out I'd
                suspect your symptoms are caused by something else than self made
                alcohol. Worth investigating maybe?

                Greetz, Riku

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <atmoore@t...> wrote:
                > Don't take me for a fool smartass. first of all it was cut to 40%
                > and second of all I haven't touched a drop in seven months; the
                side
                > effects are still there. I'm just saying be careful.
                > squirlybird206
                >

                > -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Marsh <chrismarsh@g...>
                > wrote:
                > >

                > > Monday, December 1, 2003, 12:08:16 PM, you wrote:
                > >
                > > [...]
                > > s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
                > > s> drinking the juice.
                > >
                > > Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?
                > >
                > > Chris
              • BOKAKOB
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                  Don't take in any chemicals to regulate your body unless the person is abnormally sick. You have a marvelus machine which is self-adjusting.

                  Austin Smith <asmith1@...> wrote:My doctor also recommends 500mg of Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide) per day to combat the feelings of fatigue. You might also reflect on how your drinking "post still" compares to your drinking "pre-still". You may be drinking more than you realize.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  I can be wrong I must say
                  Cheers, Alex...

                • Chris Marsh
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003

                    A> Don't take me for a fool smartass. first of all it was cut to 40%
                    A> and second of all I haven't touched a drop in seven months; the side
                    A> effects are still there. I'm just saying be careful.
                    A> squirlybird206

                    A> -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Marsh <chrismarsh@g...>
                    A> wrote:
                    >>

                    >> Monday, December 1, 2003, 12:08:16 PM, you wrote:
                    >>
                    >> [...]
                    >> s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
                    >> s> drinking the juice.
                    >>
                    >> Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?
                    >>
                    >> Chris

                    [...]

                    I am sorry if you took offence at my comments about Pink elephants, it
                    was not aimed at you in any way. Have you no sense of humour?

                    I have been subscribed for a long time now, there is even or there was
                    a picture of my set up on Tony's site.

                    With this sort of attitude creeping in I shall seriously consider
                    unscribing.

                    Chris.
                    --
                  • BOKAKOB
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                      you may want to discuss this with a social worker, perhaps?..

                      Andrew <atmoore@...> wrote:Don't take me for a fool smartass. first of all it was cut to 40%

                      wrote:

                      > Monday, December 1, 2003, 12:08:16 PM, you wrote:
                      >
                      > [...]
                      > s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
                      > s> drinking the juice.
                      >
                      > Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?
                      >
                      > Chris

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      I can be wrong I must say
                      Cheers, Alex...

                    • Steve
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                        Both Brewing and Distilling are like a Computer.. Garbage in = garbage out.

                        You stated you reused 200 ml , and discarded 50mil, but did not state if
                        you cleaned your still after you built it, NOR did you state how large a
                        wash 50 mil out of 50 liters is too little but 50 mil out of 10 liters is
                        fine... , Nor did you state what you had fermented.

                        If you can fill us in on the details, then maybe we can help fix your
                        dilemma. The smell you mentioned were Fusels that should have been
                        discarded. a clean product should have no smell.

                        You seem very turned off to distilling at present, and I am sorry for that,
                        but you are still posting here so I assume you are still considering
                        something. So please give us details and maybe some of us can help

                        Steve

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                          I'm with you Andrew, this hobby needs to be taken very carefully.
                          One of the things that calmed me down orginally was people brew and
                          drink beer with all the contagoners in it... As we are removing
                          them we can only be making things better right..??

                          Anyway, definately go and have a blood test etc... Did my and found
                          somethings that are all bad, but it means they can be treated.

                          Best of luck.
                        • CornFed (Randy)
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                            fatigue, concentration and memory problems are also a side effect of
                            carbon monoxide poisoning. So are unexplained grouchiness and
                            headaches.

                            the effects of Carbon monixide poisoning is cumulative. A small
                            regular dose adds up in the blood stream. The poison accumulates in
                            the body organs and it takes a very long time for it to dissipate.
                            That is why a steady dosing lets you accumulate more than you can get
                            rid of. Do you have a gas stove or hot water heater or furnace in
                            your house? Is the exhaust in your automobile intact? Even if you
                            use public transportation, diesel fumes are high in carbon monoxide.

                            as a memmber of a volunteer fire department, I was called to a
                            person's house who's carbon monixide detector kept sounding off. We
                            determined that the person had been starting the car in a enclosed
                            and attached gaarge to warm it up. The cold weather season has just
                            set in here and I have started my gas furnace. I am fortunate that
                            the local natural gas utility offers free gas fired appliance
                            inspections.

                            A doctors visit with directions for them to specifically look for
                            carbon monoxide in their list of possibilities will clear it up.

                            http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/carbonmonoxidepoisoning.html

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <atmoore@t...> wrote:
                            > About a year ago I built a still using this forum, tony's site and
                            > some other reading material as referance. I felt I was being very
                            > thorough in my research. I built a reflux still out of 2" copper
                            > pipe, I used silver solder for the joints, stainless steel pot
                            > scrubbers for packing, I made sure everything was spotless. My
                            > first and only product (other than trial runs with cheap wine), was
                            > distilled from a "turbo yeast" kit. In other words I was careful
                            > about what I was making. The vodka I distilled measured 95%+ but
                            > had that "paint thinner" smell I've heard mentioned. Everything
                            I'd
                            > read said that the fusels will give an off taste but are not
                            > particularly dangerous (I also discarded the first 50ml and put the
                            > next 200ml in a redistill jar). I mixed some of the vodka with
                            > essences, shared some with friends and lated got some active carbon
                            > to clean up the product even more. The bottom line is that
                            > the "buzz" I got off of drinking the alcohol felt different than
                            I'm
                            > used to and after several months of drinking the stuff I've noticed
                            > some concentration problems and an increase level of fatigue. I
                            > can't be certain what went wrong but I will say USE EXTREME CAUTION
                            > if you chose to play with this hobby. I had been so excited about
                            > building and working my still and now I wish I'd never seen one!
                          • wolfie_swe
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 8, 2004
                              This sounds like someone who's got his heart set out to discurrage
                              people from making their own stills?

                              // W.

                              distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                              Service.