Re: not so safe

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 30, 2003
      Side effects of drinking too much. Get some vitamins (especially
      vitamin B) for fatigue. Try not to drink so vast amount at one time,
      good homemade is much purer and you can drink more of it without
      getting totally pissed. Next day you'll be still drunk but since you
      don't have a hangover you will not realize it. It might also be the
      age, I get that lack of concentration for next day or two even from
      drinking wast amounts of commercial alcohol nowadays.

      Greetz, Riku

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <atmoore@t...> wrote:
      > About a year ago I built a still using this forum, tony's site and
      > some other reading material as referance. I felt I was being very
      > thorough in my research. I built a reflux still out of 2" copper
      > pipe, I used silver solder for the joints, stainless steel pot
      > scrubbers for packing, I made sure everything was spotless. My
      > first and only product (other than trial runs with cheap wine), was
      > distilled from a "turbo yeast" kit. In other words I was careful
      > about what I was making. The vodka I distilled measured 95%+ but
      > had that "paint thinner" smell I've heard mentioned. Everything
      I'd
      > read said that the fusels will give an off taste but are not
      > particularly dangerous (I also discarded the first 50ml and put the
      > next 200ml in a redistill jar). I mixed some of the vodka with
      > essences, shared some with friends and lated got some active carbon
      > to clean up the product even more. The bottom line is that
      > the "buzz" I got off of drinking the alcohol felt different than
      I'm
      > used to and after several months of drinking the stuff I've noticed
      > some concentration problems and an increase level of fatigue. I
      > can't be certain what went wrong but I will say USE EXTREME CAUTION
      > if you chose to play with this hobby. I had been so excited about
      > building and working my still and now I wish I'd never seen one!
    • Laurens W
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
        Did anyone ask if this guy percentage he cut the product to before consuming!!!

        Side effects of drinking too much. Get some vitamins (especially
        vitamin B) for fatigue. Try not to drink so vast amount at one time,
        good homemade is much purer and you can drink more of it without
        getting totally pissed. Next day you'll be still drunk but since you
        don't have a hangover you will not realize it. It might also be the
        age, I get that lack of concentration for next day or two even from
        drinking wast amounts of commercial alcohol nowadays.

        Greetz, Riku

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <atmoore@t...> wrote:
        > About a year ago I built a still using this forum, tony's site and
        > some other reading material as referance. I felt I was being very
        > thorough in my research. I built a reflux still out of 2" copper
        > pipe, I used silver solder for the joints, stainless steel pot
        > scrubbers for packing, I made sure everything was spotless. My
        > first and only product (other than trial runs with cheap wine), was
        > distilled from a "turbo yeast" kit. In other words I was careful
        > about what I was making. The vodka I distilled measured 95%+ but
        > had that "paint thinner" smell I've heard mentioned. Everything
        I'd
        > read said that the fusels will give an off taste but are not
        > particularly dangerous (I also discarded the first 50ml and put the
        > next 200ml in a redistill jar). I mixed some of the vodka with
        > essences, shared some with friends and lated got some active carbon
        > to clean up the product even more. The bottom line is that
        > the "buzz" I got off of drinking the alcohol felt different than
        I'm
        > used to and after several months of drinking the stuff I've noticed
        > some concentration problems and an increase level of fatigue. I
        > can't be certain what went wrong but I will say USE EXTREME CAUTION
        > if you chose to play with this hobby. I had been so excited about
        > building and working my still and now I wish I'd never seen one!

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • stronkus2003
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
          Well my experience is that by getting high quality alcohol in an easy
          way one tend to consume a little bit more than normally, especially
          since You do not get the thunderbolt type of hangovers...Alcohol
          consumption can and will mess up Your brain if taken in too big
          amounts, the problem is to define "too big amounts" since this is
          very individual. But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
          drinking the juice.

          Regards

          Stronk

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <atmoore@t...> wrote:
          > About a year ago I built a still using this forum, tony's site and
          > some other reading material as referance. I felt I was being very
          > thorough in my research. I built a reflux still out of 2" copper
          > pipe, I used silver solder for the joints, stainless steel pot
          > scrubbers for packing, I made sure everything was spotless. My
          > first and only product (other than trial runs with cheap wine), was
          > distilled from a "turbo yeast" kit. In other words I was careful
          > about what I was making. The vodka I distilled measured 95%+ but
          > had that "paint thinner" smell I've heard mentioned. Everything
          I'd
          > read said that the fusels will give an off taste but are not
          > particularly dangerous (I also discarded the first 50ml and put the
          > next 200ml in a redistill jar). I mixed some of the vodka with
          > essences, shared some with friends and lated got some active carbon
          > to clean up the product even more. The bottom line is that
          > the "buzz" I got off of drinking the alcohol felt different than
          I'm
          > used to and after several months of drinking the stuff I've noticed
          > some concentration problems and an increase level of fatigue. I
          > can't be certain what went wrong but I will say USE EXTREME CAUTION
          > if you chose to play with this hobby. I had been so excited about
          > building and working my still and now I wish I'd never seen one!
        • Chris Marsh
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003

            [...]
            s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
            s> drinking the juice.

            Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?

            Chris
          • Austin Smith
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
              My doctor also recommends 500mg of Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide) per day to combat the feelings of fatigue. You might also reflect on how your drinking "post still" compares to your drinking "pre-still". You may be drinking more than you realize.

            • Andrew
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                Don't take me for a fool smartass. first of all it was cut to 40%
                and second of all I haven't touched a drop in seven months; the side
                effects are still there. I'm just saying be careful.
                squirlybird206

                -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Marsh <chrismarsh@g...>
                wrote:

                > Monday, December 1, 2003, 12:08:16 PM, you wrote:
                >
                > [...]
                > s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
                > s> drinking the juice.
                >
                > Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?
                >
                > Chris
              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                  Have you visited doctor lately? Those side effects may not be coming
                  from alcohol, but something else (tumor in brain as a worst case). It
                  sounds you did your home work and sugar wash doesn't produce more
                  toxic compounds than say redvine (actually a bit less). If you used
                  lead free solders and non-recycled copper for the column there's no
                  toxins there either. Since you even cut the worst stuff out I'd
                  suspect your symptoms are caused by something else than self made
                  alcohol. Worth investigating maybe?

                  Greetz, Riku

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <atmoore@t...> wrote:
                  > Don't take me for a fool smartass. first of all it was cut to 40%
                  > and second of all I haven't touched a drop in seven months; the
                  side
                  > effects are still there. I'm just saying be careful.
                  > squirlybird206
                  >

                  > -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Marsh <chrismarsh@g...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Monday, December 1, 2003, 12:08:16 PM, you wrote:
                  > >
                  > > [...]
                  > > s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
                  > > s> drinking the juice.
                  > >
                  > > Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?
                  > >
                  > > Chris
                • BOKAKOB
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                    Don't take in any chemicals to regulate your body unless the person is abnormally sick. You have a marvelus machine which is self-adjusting.

                    Austin Smith <asmith1@...> wrote:My doctor also recommends 500mg of Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide) per day to combat the feelings of fatigue. You might also reflect on how your drinking "post still" compares to your drinking "pre-still". You may be drinking more than you realize.

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    I can be wrong I must say
                    Cheers, Alex...

                  • Chris Marsh
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003

                      A> Don't take me for a fool smartass. first of all it was cut to 40%
                      A> and second of all I haven't touched a drop in seven months; the side
                      A> effects are still there. I'm just saying be careful.
                      A> squirlybird206

                      A> -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Marsh <chrismarsh@g...>
                      A> wrote:
                      >>

                      >> Monday, December 1, 2003, 12:08:16 PM, you wrote:
                      >>
                      >> [...]
                      >> s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
                      >> s> drinking the juice.
                      >>
                      >> Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?
                      >>
                      >> Chris

                      [...]

                      I am sorry if you took offence at my comments about Pink elephants, it
                      was not aimed at you in any way. Have you no sense of humour?

                      I have been subscribed for a long time now, there is even or there was
                      a picture of my set up on Tony's site.

                      With this sort of attitude creeping in I shall seriously consider
                      unscribing.

                      Chris.
                      --
                    • BOKAKOB
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                        you may want to discuss this with a social worker, perhaps?..

                        Andrew <atmoore@...> wrote:Don't take me for a fool smartass. first of all it was cut to 40%

                        wrote:

                        > Monday, December 1, 2003, 12:08:16 PM, you wrote:
                        >
                        > [...]
                        > s> But if unsure just take the easy way and stop
                        > s> drinking the juice.
                        >
                        > Ok! If I do that, who is going to take care of my pink elephants?
                        >
                        > Chris

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        I can be wrong I must say
                        Cheers, Alex...

                      • Steve
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                          Both Brewing and Distilling are like a Computer.. Garbage in = garbage out.

                          You stated you reused 200 ml , and discarded 50mil, but did not state if
                          you cleaned your still after you built it, NOR did you state how large a
                          wash 50 mil out of 50 liters is too little but 50 mil out of 10 liters is
                          fine... , Nor did you state what you had fermented.

                          If you can fill us in on the details, then maybe we can help fix your
                          dilemma. The smell you mentioned were Fusels that should have been
                          discarded. a clean product should have no smell.

                          You seem very turned off to distilling at present, and I am sorry for that,
                          but you are still posting here so I assume you are still considering
                          something. So please give us details and maybe some of us can help

                          Steve

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                            I'm with you Andrew, this hobby needs to be taken very carefully.
                            One of the things that calmed me down orginally was people brew and
                            drink beer with all the contagoners in it... As we are removing
                            them we can only be making things better right..??

                            Anyway, definately go and have a blood test etc... Did my and found
                            somethings that are all bad, but it means they can be treated.

                            Best of luck.
                          • CornFed (Randy)
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 1, 2003
                              fatigue, concentration and memory problems are also a side effect of
                              carbon monoxide poisoning. So are unexplained grouchiness and
                              headaches.

                              the effects of Carbon monixide poisoning is cumulative. A small
                              regular dose adds up in the blood stream. The poison accumulates in
                              the body organs and it takes a very long time for it to dissipate.
                              That is why a steady dosing lets you accumulate more than you can get
                              rid of. Do you have a gas stove or hot water heater or furnace in
                              your house? Is the exhaust in your automobile intact? Even if you
                              use public transportation, diesel fumes are high in carbon monoxide.

                              as a memmber of a volunteer fire department, I was called to a
                              person's house who's carbon monixide detector kept sounding off. We
                              determined that the person had been starting the car in a enclosed
                              and attached gaarge to warm it up. The cold weather season has just
                              set in here and I have started my gas furnace. I am fortunate that
                              the local natural gas utility offers free gas fired appliance
                              inspections.

                              A doctors visit with directions for them to specifically look for
                              carbon monoxide in their list of possibilities will clear it up.

                              http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/carbonmonoxidepoisoning.html

                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <atmoore@t...> wrote:
                              > About a year ago I built a still using this forum, tony's site and
                              > some other reading material as referance. I felt I was being very
                              > thorough in my research. I built a reflux still out of 2" copper
                              > pipe, I used silver solder for the joints, stainless steel pot
                              > scrubbers for packing, I made sure everything was spotless. My
                              > first and only product (other than trial runs with cheap wine), was
                              > distilled from a "turbo yeast" kit. In other words I was careful
                              > about what I was making. The vodka I distilled measured 95%+ but
                              > had that "paint thinner" smell I've heard mentioned. Everything
                              I'd
                              > read said that the fusels will give an off taste but are not
                              > particularly dangerous (I also discarded the first 50ml and put the
                              > next 200ml in a redistill jar). I mixed some of the vodka with
                              > essences, shared some with friends and lated got some active carbon
                              > to clean up the product even more. The bottom line is that
                              > the "buzz" I got off of drinking the alcohol felt different than
                              I'm
                              > used to and after several months of drinking the stuff I've noticed
                              > some concentration problems and an increase level of fatigue. I
                              > can't be certain what went wrong but I will say USE EXTREME CAUTION
                              > if you chose to play with this hobby. I had been so excited about
                              > building and working my still and now I wish I'd never seen one!
                            • wolfie_swe
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 8, 2004
                                This sounds like someone who's got his heart set out to discurrage
                                people from making their own stills?

                                // W.

                                distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                Service.