Temp controller

  • stroker@presys.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 24, 2001
      I am just getting into this hobby and i need to know if i can use a
      light dimmer switch to control the heat on around a 1000 watt
      immersion heater.I seen one that controls 2000 watts but is pretty
      expensive.Would one rated at 1000watts be alright for 750-1000 watt
      heater.Maybe i would be better off going threw an electronic supply
      shop?
      Thanks for the help..
    • Pete Sayers
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 24, 2001
        Stroker, just go to your nearest commercial electrical supplier and ask for
        a " dairy quality" thermostat, (these have a finer control over when they
        click in and click off)They retail here in NZ for about $60.00, altho i
        havnt sourced one for a while. If you have trouble finding one let me know
        and we will se what can be done to solve your problem.
        regards Pete

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
          Hello to all,
          Can anybody help with details of a Temp controller for a 1200 watt element
          in my still so as i can convert it to a pot still and control the exact
          amount of heat input.Is it called a triac? where would i conjure up the
          drawings if available as a mate could build it for me if needed. Thanks for
          any help sent .
          Have a safe Easter to all. Mac.
        • Kev
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
            Hi Paul,

            > Can anybody help with details of a Temp controller for a 1200 watt
            element
            > in my still

            If you look at the info and links on Tony's web site,
            http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/control.htm you should find
            what you need.

            > so as i can convert it to a pot still and control the exact
            > amount of heat input.

            I feel duty bound to point out that putting a temp. controller on the
            element won't make your still into a pot still, it's the lack of
            reflux that does that. But I'm sure you already knew that.

            >Is it called a triac?

            A Triac seems to be the popular way to do it for loads over 1Kw. I've
            seen light dimmer switches up to that value which I think use a
            variable resistor. My brother's the electronics wizard, I only tinker
            around the edges of it. He's supposed to be drawing me up a parts
            list and circuit diagram for my own 1380watt element, but he hasn't
            come up with the goods yet.

            > where would i conjure up the
            > drawings if available as a mate could build it for me if needed.

            Again, the links on Tony's site give some diagrams and pictures. If
            you've got a mate who knows what (s)he's doing with electronics (s)he
            might be able to design it from scratch for you as well as build it.

            My Bro's answer to my question "wots a Triac?" was:

            'A quick answer, a Triac is a method of controling a sinewave to
            limit the power of, for instance, heating elements. As a simple
            explanation it "chops" part of the sine wave so that you do not get
            the full power from it. This can be controlled as to how much you
            chop and therefore how much power goes to the heater.'

            HTH

            Kev.
          • Alexander
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 11, 2009
              Hi everyone,
              Just want to ask if anyine has made the temp controller which is shown in the Files sectione here. I would like to make the one Triac-Circuits2
              Does it actually do the job??
              Thanks
              Alex