temperature control and product quality

  • tintin_milou92
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2003
      hI,

      I have built a reflux still based on the design of „building a
      home distillation apparatus". It is a 2"column 1 metre height with
      stainless steel packing (parts of 8 mm pipes)

      During my trial run (with water only), I have used a 1500 w heater.

      Following the temperature I saw it is very difficult to maintain it
      on a constant value. The cooling water, when used to control the
      reflux and condensation act very actively and strongly on the
      temperature. Temperature drops from 80° down to 65° in few
      seconds by
      opening very carefully the cool water tap (only dropping).

      How to improve this and does this has an effect on the quality of the
      production. I think if we go down to 65°C and then come back to
      80°C;
      product will not be pure methanol.

      TINTIN

      Thanks for comment and support.