Re: Oak Kegs.

  • Dick Grindley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2000
      In message <002101bf5a73$6573f3e0$25b0868b@a>, Mr Os Blacker
      <osblacker@...> writes
      > From: "Mr Os�� Blacker" <osblacker@...>
      >
      >� Also is it normal to age
      > spirit at 80%alc/v. or should it be diluted before ageing?
      > Os Blacker�
      Don't know if it's any help but whisky is usually diluted to about 11
      deg OP (63%ABV) before casking. My info says this is the best strength
      to start maturation (& also that you should use the same source of water
      you have used to produce the wort - but I suppose rain water that has
      been used to steep some peat cuttings & the odd dead sheep would be a
      suitable alternative).
      --
      Dick on the LangWang