Re: [Distillers] Why insulate a reflux column?

  • tipringwaterpipe
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2003
      What have you missed? About 20 posts. Some of us distill in harsher enviroments. Keeping your column insulated takes one variable in reflux somewhat out of the equation.
      Down-the-Hatch
      Tip

      Sven Pfitt <the_gimp98@...> wrote:
      I can understand the reason to insulate a pot, since any heat loss
      there is just wasted energy.

      Why does one insulate the column on a reflx still? I would think that
      convection cooling of the tower would result in reflux, which is
      desirable. Not insulating would require less water to cool the
      primary reflux control coil.

      What have I missed?

      Thanks.

      Steven