Am I ready to Sample?

  • brianzeiner
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2003
      Hello all. I am in the process of distilling my first batch. I used
      a can sugar was that read about 16.5% before I rendered it to the
      distilling pot. Once the column head reached 158F, I noticed the
      first droplets exiting the condensor. I then turned on the water
      supply to the condensor, waited for the the colun head to level at
      about 186F, then began collecting distillate. I discarded the 1st
      100 ml (It does really smell like wet cardboard!). I have then been
      collecting in 250 ml intervals (about every 15 minutes). I now have
      about 2L distillate collected.

      My questions are these. How do I know how pure my distillate is? Is
      there a way of telling (or is there a special hydrometer for this?).
      How much meth can come from a 25L was of 16.5%? Is it a few ml or
      considerably more, ie., if I were to maintain the column head at the
      temp. meth vaporizes, what would be the total meth production? What
      should be my total production of potable distallate be? When will i
      know to stop collecting, when it runs cloudy? Any help would be
      greatly appreciated as this is my virgin run and I'm worried about
      blindness and such nuisances. Brian