How to increase quality?

  • stronkus2003
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 17, 2003
      Hi all, I have built a still that produces around 92% (pictures
      under /files/stronkstill) but I would like to increase the quality
      (never really satisfied are we?) and as I understand it I have three
      Lower the power of the boiler
      Increase the reflux ratio
      Lengthen the column

      And my question is, which one will give the best effect?

      Regards

      Stronk
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 18, 2003
        You forget using larger diameter pipe for column. Vapor speed,
        packing type, packing height and reflux ratio are contributing
        factors as I understand it. So, using low vaporspeed, good quality
        packing and having long enough column should do the trick while
        letting you do the adjustments by changing reflux ratio.

        IIRC you had 1800W hotplate? In theory you should use 58mm column for
        vaporspeed of ~20"/s (in practise 64mm pipe is closest). If you leave
        the boiler uninsulated you can propably use 50mm pipe (assuming power
        loss of ~500W, metal recyclers are a good source for cheap pipes,
        connectors from plumbers shop). Use one meter of scrubbers and reflux
        control method of your choice and it's actually hard to not get 95%+
        stuff with very pure middle cut.

        Greetz, Riku

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stronkus2003" <stronkus2003@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi all, I have built a still that produces around 92% (pictures
        > under /files/stronkstill) but I would like to increase the quality
        > (never really satisfied are we?) and as I understand it I have
        three
        > Lower the power of the boiler
        > Increase the reflux ratio
        > Lengthen the column
        >
        > And my question is, which one will give the best effect?
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Stronk
      • stronkus2003
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 18, 2003
          Hi Riku, and thanks for the advice

          The plate is 1600W, I thought it was 1800 but I was wrong. But if I
          understand You correct it is the vapor speed I should try to decrease
          and as I understand it that can be done either with an increased
          diameter or a lower power input. I have not decided which one to
          choose yet. It is interesting to see how many discussions are
          centered around the still head and the reflux control when probably
          the column design/power input are more important.

          Regards

          Stronk

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@y...>
          wrote:
          > You forget using larger diameter pipe for column. Vapor speed,
          > packing type, packing height and reflux ratio are contributing
          > factors as I understand it. So, using low vaporspeed, good quality
          > packing and having long enough column should do the trick while
          > letting you do the adjustments by changing reflux ratio.
          >
          > IIRC you had 1800W hotplate? In theory you should use 58mm column
          for
          > vaporspeed of ~20"/s (in practise 64mm pipe is closest). If you
          leave
          > the boiler uninsulated you can propably use 50mm pipe (assuming
          power
          > loss of ~500W, metal recyclers are a good source for cheap pipes,
          > connectors from plumbers shop). Use one meter of scrubbers and
          reflux
          > control method of your choice and it's actually hard to not get 95%
          +
          > stuff with very pure middle cut.
          >
          > Greetz, Riku
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stronkus2003"
          <stronkus2003@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hi all, I have built a still that produces around 92% (pictures
          > > under /files/stronkstill) but I would like to increase the
          quality
          > > (never really satisfied are we?) and as I understand it I have
          > three
          > > Lower the power of the boiler
          > > Increase the reflux ratio
          > > Lengthen the column
          > >
          > > And my question is, which one will give the best effect?
          > >
          > > Regards
          > >
          > > Stronk
        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 18, 2003
            Well, helping others and having feedback from them helps me to
            understand things better. If your plate is only 1600W I'd go with
            50mm column. You can adjust the operation somewhat by adding or
            removing insulation to the boiler (or even column). I was able to use
            42mm column on a 1500W plate when uninsulated. Adding good insulation
            caused it to flood with high reflux. You are right about the
            column/head relation, PDA-1 is a good example of getting things right
            when concentrating on the column and related issues. The head type is
            a matter of personal preference. Ease of building and ease of
            operation being important factors. Most of them will work well at the
            end.

            In case you want to do the math formula (Wats/1000)*(45/60) will give
            you the vapor production as liters/s.

            wrote:
            > Hi Riku, and thanks for the advice
            >
            > The plate is 1600W, I thought it was 1800 but I was wrong. But if I
            > understand You correct it is the vapor speed I should try to
            decrease
            > and as I understand it that can be done either with an increased
            > diameter or a lower power input. I have not decided which one to
            > choose yet. It is interesting to see how many discussions are
            > centered around the still head and the reflux control when probably
            > the column design/power input are more important.
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Stronk
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
            <abbababbaccc@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > You forget using larger diameter pipe for column. Vapor speed,
            > > packing type, packing height and reflux ratio are contributing
            > > factors as I understand it. So, using low vaporspeed, good
            quality
            > > packing and having long enough column should do the trick while
            > > letting you do the adjustments by changing reflux ratio.
            > >
            > > IIRC you had 1800W hotplate? In theory you should use 58mm column
            > for
            > > vaporspeed of ~20"/s (in practise 64mm pipe is closest). If you
            > leave
            > > the boiler uninsulated you can propably use 50mm pipe (assuming
            > power
            > > loss of ~500W, metal recyclers are a good source for cheap pipes,
            > > connectors from plumbers shop). Use one meter of scrubbers and
            > reflux
            > > control method of your choice and it's actually hard to not get
            95%
            > +
            > > stuff with very pure middle cut.
            > >
            > > Greetz, Riku
            > >
            > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stronkus2003"
            > <stronkus2003@y...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > Hi all, I have built a still that produces around 92% (pictures
            > > > under /files/stronkstill) but I would like to increase the
            > quality
            > > > (never really satisfied are we?) and as I understand it I have
            > > three
            > > > Lower the power of the boiler
            > > > Increase the reflux ratio
            > > > Lengthen the column
            > > >
            > > > And my question is, which one will give the best effect?
            > > >
            > > > Regards
            > > >
            > > > Stronk
          • stronkus2003
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 18, 2003
              I am going to run a test this weekend and use the thermostat on the
              hotplate and see what happens, I realize that many people advice
              against it but if it works it could be a good way to get better
              quality.

              wrote:
> [...]
              > > > packing type, packing height and reflux ratio are contributing
              > > > factors as I understand it. So, using low vaporspeed, good
              > quality
              > > > packing and having long enough column should do the trick while
              > > > letting you do the adjustments by changing reflux ratio.
              > > >
              > > > IIRC you had 1800W hotplate? In theory you should use 58mm
              column
              > > for
              > > > vaporspeed of ~20"/s (in practise 64mm pipe is closest). If you
              > > leave
              > > > the boiler uninsulated you can propably use 50mm pipe (assuming
              > > power
              > > > loss of ~500W, metal recyclers are a good source for cheap
              pipes,
              > > > connectors from plumbers shop). Use one meter of scrubbers and
              > > reflux
              > > > control method of your choice and it's actually hard to not get

            • Johan
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 18, 2003
                I would try something between the boiler and the hotplate. Sand for
                instance. Another way to get rid of some power is to use a cooling tube
                at the very bottom of the column. 1600W for a 35 mm column is very much.
                But personally I would buy an effect regulator instead (ask at
                bryggforum I'm sure someone can sell a modified dimmer for 300 sek if
                you don't want to build one yourself). If you find it hard to regulate
                water flow, try a needle valve (or make a vm out of it if you haven't
                done that already)

                Johan

                wrote:
> [...]
                > > > packing type, packing height and reflux ratio are contributing
                > > > factors as I understand it. So, using low vaporspeed, good
                > quality
                > > > packing and having long enough column should do the trick while
                > > > letting you do the adjustments by changing reflux ratio.
                > > >
                > > > IIRC you had 1800W hotplate? In theory you should use 58mm
                column
                > > for
                > > > vaporspeed of ~20"/s (in practise 64mm pipe is closest). If you
                > > leave
                > > > the boiler uninsulated you can propably use 50mm pipe (assuming
                > > power
                > > > loss of ~500W, metal recyclers are a good source for cheap
                pipes,
                > > > connectors from plumbers shop). Use one meter of scrubbers and
                > > reflux
                > > > control method of your choice and it's actually hard to not get

                To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
                distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • stronkus2003
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 18, 2003
                  Hi Johan, thanks for the advice

                  I will try to get hold of a power-regulator which probably is the
                  best way to go. as You guessed I have built a VM-head also but I
                  would like to keep the LM head anyway since it requires less height.
                  I think the next test will be with less power and the LM head, the LM
                  head now has the cooling-coils in parallel which will improve the
                  regulation. To be honest the system is OK already but it is always
                  nice to find better ways. ;-) Next step will probably be to build a
                  short 50 mm column and put more effort in the packing and in the
                  spreading of the reflux.

                  Regards

                  Stronk

                • peter_vcb
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 18, 2003
                    Hi Stronk
                    all of them will improve quality. it depends on how much you alter
                    each, as to which will give the best effect. i have found the power
                    is very important and would rate it above the rest, it is also easier
                    to try out than lengthen the column. if using your hotplate you could
                    try half sitting the boiler on the plate. the buffer Johan mentioned
                    is a good idea, it could also be a copper plate. I wonder if sand in
                    teh boiler would work too, stones in a boiler would reduce your
                    minimum volume needed (if you use an internal element). also, most
                    important of all is to make good cuts.

                    Peter

                    wrote:
                    > Hi all, I have built a still that produces around 92% (pictures
                    > under /files/stronkstill) but I would like to increase the quality
                    > (never really satisfied are we?) and as I understand it I have
                    three
                    > Lower the power of the boiler
                    > Increase the reflux ratio
                    > Lengthen the column
                    >
                    > And my question is, which one will give the best effect?
                    >
                    > Regards
                    >
                    > Stronk
                  • stronkus2003
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 19, 2003
                      Hi and thanks,

                      That was an easy way that I will test immediately, to put the boiler
                      only partly on the plate. This will be easy since the plate is a
                      square ceramic one with lots of space around. I will also try to find
                      a power regulator and be a little more scientific ;-)

                      Stronk

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb" <viciousblackout@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > Hi Stronk
                      > all of them will improve quality. it depends on how much you alter
                      > each, as to which will give the best effect. i have found the power
                      > is very important and would rate it above the rest, it is also
                      easier
                      > to try out than lengthen the column. if using your hotplate you
                      could
                      > try half sitting the boiler on the plate. the buffer Johan
                      mentioned
                      > is a good idea, it could also be a copper plate. I wonder if sand
                      in
                      > teh boiler would work too, stones in a boiler would reduce your
                      > minimum volume needed (if you use an internal element). also, most
                      > important of all is to make good cuts.
                      >
                      > Peter
                      >
                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stronkus2003"
                      <stronkus2003@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Hi all, I have built a still that produces around 92% (pictures
                      > > under /files/stronkstill) but I would like to increase the
                      quality
                      > > (never really satisfied are we?) and as I understand it I have
                      > three
                      > > Lower the power of the boiler
                      > > Increase the reflux ratio
                      > > Lengthen the column
                      > >
                      > > And my question is, which one will give the best effect?
                      > >
                      > > Regards
                      > >
                      > > Stronk
                    • abbababbaccc
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 19, 2003
                        Using 400W to a 35mm column would yield 12"/s vaporspeed which is
                        close to optimum (as far as I understand it). Perhaps you
                        could "mark" different areas of plate to give you different power
                        ratings, like take the pot and mark where it covers half of the plate
                        area for 800W, 1/4 for 400W and so on. Losses through insulated
                        boiler and column should be considered as well (200W-500W
                        guesstimate).

                        wrote:
                        > Hi and thanks,
                        >
                        > That was an easy way that I will test immediately, to put the
                        boiler
                        > only partly on the plate. This will be easy since the plate is a
                        > square ceramic one with lots of space around. I will also try to
                        find
                        > a power regulator and be a little more scientific ;-)
                        >
                        > Stronk
                        >
                        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb"
                        <viciousblackout@y...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > Hi Stronk
                        > > all of them will improve quality. it depends on how much you
                        alter
                        > > each, as to which will give the best effect. i have found the
                        power
                        > > is very important and would rate it above the rest, it is also
                        > easier
                        > > to try out than lengthen the column. if using your hotplate you
                        > could
                        > > try half sitting the boiler on the plate. the buffer Johan
                        > mentioned
                        > > is a good idea, it could also be a copper plate. I wonder if sand
                        > in
                        > > teh boiler would work too, stones in a boiler would reduce your
                        > > minimum volume needed (if you use an internal element). also,
                        most
                        > > important of all is to make good cuts.
                        > >
                        > > Peter
                        > >
                        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stronkus2003"
                        > <stronkus2003@y...>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > > Hi all, I have built a still that produces around 92% (pictures
                        > > > under /files/stronkstill) but I would like to increase the
                        > quality
                        > > > (never really satisfied are we?) and as I understand it I have
                        > > three
                        > > > Lower the power of the boiler
                        > > > Increase the reflux ratio
                        > > > Lengthen the column
                        > > >
                        > > > And my question is, which one will give the best effect?
                        > > >
                        > > > Regards
                        > > >
                        > > > Stronk
                      • stronkus2003
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 19, 2003
                          Yes, that is very possible, I will test it this weekend, maybe I can
                          calibrate the rig by moving the boiler at full cooling capacity
                          until I have 100% reflux and no flooding and then control the output
                          by controling the cooling water flow. The boiler is uninsulated but
                          the column is insulated so by "removing" another 400W I should be
                          close I guess. Thanks for all advice