Oak Kegs.

  • Mr Os Blacker
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2000
      I have a refurbished Beer Keg (old 5 gallon which I believe is made from West Australian Brown Oak) which sends the spirit @ 80% alc/v. very bitter. I have re-distilled the spirit and again thoroughly steam-cleaned the inside. I then let the keg stand for two weeks with a dilution of water and citric acid on advice from an old cooper. I have refilled the Keg with the redistilled spirit and once again it has gone bitter.
      Has anyone had experience with this type of problem, if so I would love to hear about your experience. Also is it normal to age spirit at 80%alc/v. or should it be diluted before ageing?
      Os Blacker
    • Dick Grindley
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 10, 2000
        In message <002101bf5a73$6573f3e0$25b0868b@a>, Mr Os Blacker
        <osblacker@...> writes
        > From: "Mr Os�� Blacker" <osblacker@...>
        >
        >� Also is it normal to age
        > spirit at 80%alc/v. or should it be diluted before ageing?
        > Os Blacker�
        Don't know if it's any help but whisky is usually diluted to about 11
        deg OP (63%ABV) before casking. My info says this is the best strength
        to start maturation (& also that you should use the same source of water
        you have used to produce the wort - but I suppose rain water that has
        been used to steep some peat cuttings & the odd dead sheep would be a
        suitable alternative).
        --
        Dick on the LangWang