Double Distilled Whiskey

  • Tony.Ackland@xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx.xxx.xx
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2000
      Just thought I'd share my Boxing Day experience of trying to make
      a Double distilled whiskey, as per the instructions posted here
      in a digest several months back.

      I brewed up a simple draught beer, using a Brewtech Draught
      malt kit, no sugar, and 15L of water, and got a 5% beer (
      tasted good too!). Let it settle for a few days. Re-plumbed my
      Spirits Unlimited 20L reflux still so that the reflux cooling section
      was by-passed, but the condenser would still work.

      The beer took about 3.5 hours to distill, giving me around 5L
      of 10-15% alcohol. (Remembered this time to strap the head of
      the still down, given my last experience where it blew off with all the
      foam, etc, broke the thermometer, then the beer went off/tasted foul
      after sitting in the still for 4 days when trying to buy a new
      thermometer (should have just done it without a thermometer - they're
      not critical in a pinch)).

      The distillate smelt "odd" (certainly not clean like the regular
      reflux product) - sort of like apple/faint cardboard. Hard to describe.
      Also had wee floaty bits in it - i suspect some of the initial foam
      got pushed up through the condenser (i had ignored the guidelines to
      leave 35% headspace free).

      Cleaned out the still, and loaded the 5L into it. This heated up
      quite quick, and I got about 1L of 40% alcohol off it, within 3/4 hour.
      Looks reasonably clear, but still has a smell of its own. Still had
      some floaters (from inside the condenser ?). I wouldn't describe it as
      whiskey. I've passed this through a paper filter to clear the floaters
      out of it, and have it sitting with about 2 teaspoons of toasted
      oak chips. I'll taste it at one month intervals to track its progress.

      I'm not sure if i would do it again ... it takes longer (5 hours vs 4),
      costs more ($9 for the beer kit vs $6 sugar), and produced less (
      1L @ 40% vs 4L @ 75%), for a somewhat dubious product. I think
      I'll stick to playing with the neutral spirits & commercial flavours
      for now.

      Questions for the combined masses ...
      1) was i doomed before i started because of an inappropriate still ?
      2) was a draught beer kit ever going to make anything resembling
      a whiskey ?
      3) what should a whiskey distillate taste/smell like before it is aged ?
      4) did i do the first cut too late ?
      5) how long before it should taste ok (if ever ?)
      6) did i get what i deserved, having ignored most guidelines posted
      here previously ?

      Tony.