Re: new still

  • mr_ethanol2003
    Message 1 of 38 , Nov 4, 2003
      Hi Riku,

      I read the PDF describing your column mod to the spiral still. You
      mention in the document that you leave it overnight to stabilise. I
      am curious, what would be the minimum time it would need to
      stabilise?

      Andy.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
      <abbababbaccc@y...> wrote:
      > The % is easy to get. Good separation of different boiling point
      > alcohols take time. I have 30cm column in my spiral still and I
      get
      > pure stuff at 95+%, but it takes three days to process 25 liters
      at
      > ~300W (air cooled). I'd recommend at least 40cm or more of good
      > quality packing to play it safe.
      >
      > Greetz, Riku
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "watertrade2003" <james1@w...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hi Guys,
      > > I'm going to build a new still. I was just wondering... I want
      > > this one to have a small column - if I have a small column say
      > > 40/50cm tall with packing I can still get a 96% product by
      > > increasing the reflux ratio at the head to make up for all the
      > > condensations/re-vapourising of the liquid that happens in the
      > > packed column??
      > >
      > > The long column just enables you to draw off a higher % product
      > > without haveing to induce more reflux??
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > >
      > > Jim
    • mstehelin
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 8, 2008
        You know that you don't HAVE to go with copper right? Just having a
        copper pipe will give you the Ions that you Need to give it authentic
        flavour.
        Ciao