Pot Stills

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2003
      In the Files section I have posted 4 pot still examples - some have
      limited reflux capability.

      Wal
    • moonshinezak
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 19, 2004
        i have a 55 gallon steel drum that was used to store apple juice, and
        would like to use it to build a pot still. however, i do not know if
        it is safe to use, and i do not wont to poison my self. is it ok to
        use steel or should i only use copper or stainless stell?
      • dean
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 19, 2004
          Is it plain old Steel? It cant be.
          Generally I would be concerned about the potential for corrosion but
          then again its not like your fermenting in it and if you cleaned it
          straight after a run it may be OK.
          Why don't you play it safe and look for a stainless steel barrel they
          are easy to clean and are less of a health risk.
          I modified a Keg for my boiler as have many others and if you don't want
          to do the work yourself Im sure you'll find someone in your area who
          will do it for you for a small fee.

          Dean.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 20, 2004
            Steel and iron is acceptable for expedient short term use only as
            unprotected steel rusts away especially due to acidic washes. Most
            drums though are painted these days inside with a safe protective
            paint. As the wash is in the drum for a short time corrosion would be
            minimal, but rust will form later when empty also. Keep in mind that
            rust does not distill over.
            Steel drums could be useful for a quick first run if you have a large
            volume of low alcohol wash.
            Definitely not recommended for fermentation. Food grade plastic
            should be used for the fermentation.
            Cast iron pot stills for rum were used for rum.
            Steel drums are commonly used in Africa, SE Asia, the West Indies and
            even Ireland.
            See 'Files' - 'pot stills' for examples.
            wal
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "moonshinezak" <moonshinezak@y...>
            wrote:
            > i have a 55 gallon steel drum that was used to store apple juice,
            and
            > would like to use it to build a pot still. however, i do not know
            if
            > it is safe to use, and i do not wont to poison my self. is it ok to
            > use steel or should i only use copper or stainless stell?
          • suitcase1498
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 15, 2004
              I am a newbie here Does anyone have any info on using a pot still.
              The one I have saw in use has an 18" column that connects to the
              condeser coil it doesn't have a thermomater in the column just the
              pot and the pot temp reaches about 240 degrees F before anything
              starts coming out is this normal. Thanks in advance.
              Beginer
            • popwahtosh
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 15, 2004
                Everything you need to know here www.homedistiller.org

                Regards

                Pop

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "suitcase1498"
                <suitcase1499@a...> wrote:

                > I am a newbie here Does anyone have any info on using a pot still.
                > The one I have saw in use has an 18" column that connects to the
                > condeser coil it doesn't have a thermomater in the column just the
                > pot and the pot temp reaches about 240 degrees F before anything
                > starts coming out is this normal. Thanks in advance.
                > Beginer
              • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 15, 2004
                  Check www.homedistiller.org for all the info you want.
                  Without a better description you make it hard to gauge whats normal.
                  On my trusty convertion program that water or steam is well above
                  boiling point. 115 degrees c.
                  Unless you're well and truly below sea level (or you're using a plasma
                  torch to heat your boiler) your thermometer sounds out to me.
                  Most pot stills don't have columns but some have lyne arms or a special
                  chamber to help condensation. Can't for the life of me remember what
                  it's called. If you have a column you may have a reflux still thats been
                  de refluxed.
                  Luck anyway. Research www.homedistiller.org.
                  Leigh.

                  Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:54:45 -0000
                  From: "suitcase1498" <suitcase1499@...>
                  Subject: Pot Stills

                • suitcase1499@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 15, 2004
                    I have checked homedistiller but can't find what I need to know. It is a
                    homemade small pot with an 18" x 1 1/2" column to create a little reflux. Do you
                    think the thermometer should be placed at the top of the column instead of in
                    the pot itself ?Thanks for any info.

                    Suitcase

                  • suitcase1499@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 15, 2004
                      Also it heats with an electric burner, it takes about 1 hour before anything
                      comes out and then it comes out at about 60 - 65% at apprx 3-4 liters per
                      hour. Is that to fast? Do we need to cut the heat back??? Thanks

                      Suitcase

                    • Levi Langershank
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 15, 2004
                        I wonder where the thermometer is placed...(internal/external?...)...if
                        external,240f isnt out of the ordinary....especially if its close to the
                        heat source....regardless,the boiler temp is mostly irrelevant....temp at
                        the entranct to the condenser is more important...of course,this is my
                        personal opinion....:>)

                      • suitcase1499@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 15, 2004
                          Thanks.
                          The thermometer is internal but reaches near the bottom of the
                          pot. I am adding one at the top of the column today. Thanks again for the info.

                          Suitcase

                        • dean
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 15, 2004
                            Hi suitcase,
                            A pot still with a small column that's a little unusual. In terms of a
                            standard Pot still from what as far as I know 60 - 65% is not to bad for
                            the first run, yes you want the thermometer in the top of the column
                            because that's where we are removing the vapour and therefore the most
                            important temperature to monitor. Is the column packed at all ? sounds
                            like this could be very easy to modify into a mini reflux column.

                          • suitcase1499@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 15, 2004
                              No it's not packed at all, I may have quoted the size wrong earlier it's only
                              18" tall and 3/4" in diameter. I have modified it tonight and am adding a
                              thermometer just above where the lyne arm connects( which is actually just 3/8"
                              copper tubing that connects to the worm (coil thats also 3/8" copper in a 5
                              gallon bucket.) Thanks for the input I am a newbie and need all the help I can
                              get. Once again Thanks.

                              Suitcase