Re: Cleaning a Keg

  • wsand35
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2003
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "spoliatio" <spoliatio@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Reima
      >
      > I have been looking at various easy ways to connect a column to an
      > old s/s beer keg and came across your picture in the Photos section
      > and your text file under Files showing how you did it.
      >
      > Could you please tell me how if it is difficult to clean out the keg
      > after a run and how you set about it.
      >
      > If I fit the column as per your pic I was thinking of using a high
      > pressure water hose ( 110 bar ) .... but this may not be
      necessary ?

      > Advice appreciated.
      >
      > Spoliatio
      check out this site http://www.kegs.com/selectsankey.html
      it may give you some ideals .it would be a easy way to open the top
      and clean . i made the same thing using a 6" coupling and cap with a
      2" welded on the cap (SS milk pipe type connections). i havent
      finished the column yet
    • rodmacd2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2003
        As a source for ideas this looks fine.

        I just hope no one from our forum actually orders this (price $US
        196.95) to be used as a boiler for distilling. For half this amount
        one can purchase a "point of use" hot water heater which includes an
        electric heater element, good insulation, and all necessary pipe
        ports for optimum operation.

        As always this is IMHO and others will of course disagree.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wsand35" <wsand35@y...> wrote:
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "spoliatio" <spoliatio@y...>
        wrote:
        > > Hi Reima
        > >
        > > I have been looking at various easy ways to connect a column to
        an
        > > old s/s beer keg and came across your picture in the Photos
        section
        > > and your text file under Files showing how you did it.
        > >
        > > Could you please tell me how if it is difficult to clean out the
        keg
        > > after a run and how you set about it.
        > >
        > > If I fit the column as per your pic I was thinking of using a
        high
        > > pressure water hose ( 110 bar ) .... but this may not be
        > necessary ?
        > >
        > > Advice appreciated.
        > >
        > > Spoliatio
        > check out this site http://www.kegs.com/selectsankey.html
        > it may give you some ideals .it would be a easy way to open the top
        > and clean . i made the same thing using a 6" coupling and cap with
        > 2" welded on the cap (SS milk pipe type connections). i havent
        > finished the column yet
      • spoliatio
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2003
          Hi Rodmacd2000

          Yes, this what I thought too; but in asking the question I was
          hoping that as Reima was using a keg adapted as per his photo he
          could tell me if he had any difficulty in cleaning it out.

          Cheers

          Spoliatio

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rodmacd2000" <rmacdoug@s...>