Kenmore distillation unit ??

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2003
      does anyone have any info on Modding the Kenmore distillation unit
      here is someone that is selling them commercialy with a kit
      http://www.brew-usa.com/mini%20distiller.htm
    • thomas_morgan
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
        Matt;

        The unit can be used out of the box as a still. See my post below
        for my experience:

        you can also do a search on homedistillers.org or
        rec.crafts.distilling for "kenmore" and get some info there.

        I don't know what 'mods' the guy who is reselling them is doing but
        am also curious. One thing he mentioned is a different carbon
        filtering set up. The carafe in the Kenmores come with a slot for
        proprietary carbon filters, which are about $5 for a box of 4(?) and
        are pretty small. My guess is he is just selling the units with
        specific distilling instructions (can be found on the net) and a re-
        usable carbon solution. (He sells activated carbon on his site.)

        One of the drawbacks to the Kenmore unit is its lack of copper in
        the vapour path. I was able to very easily add a small length of
        scrubber filled copper pipe and to mine, but dont know if it's
        enough to really make a difference.

        -m
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <aussiebeermatt@y...>
        wrote:
        > does anyone have any info on Modding the Kenmore distillation unit
        > here is someone that is selling them commercialy with a kit
        > http://www.brew-usa.com/mini%20distiller.htm
      • was2132
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 14, 2003
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thomas_morgan"
          <thomas_morgan@y...> wrote:
          > Matt;
          >

          > The unit can be used out of the box as a still. See my post below
          > for my experience:

          I found your original post while searching for members who had used
          the Kenmore to distill alcohol. What about heads and tails? Did
          you just pour the wine in and let her go, or did you try to separate
          out the heads, and then, tails?

          As a suggestion, you might try running a vinegar/water solution
          through, like cleaning a coffee maker.
        • thomas_morgan
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 15, 2003
            I have done a couple more runs now. I discard the 1st 50 to 75 mL
            each time and then monitor the ABV closely. I seperate tails at
            about 48% and have begun collecting them for a seperate run when I
            get enough. After I've collected all my "hearts", I run them again
            together to a higher %, cutting this time at about 60%. If I'm
            doing a sugar wash, I'll then carbon filter.

            The product seems fine. It may not be as excellent as the 90+% you
            get with a more extensive set up, but it works for me. I've
            produced a drinkable Brandy from wine, I've added essences to sugar
            washes with good result, and even done my own alchol extractions
            creating a nice Ouzo/Anisette. It does take many runs to do a
            5Gallon batch, but it requires little monitoring once you get the
            timing down.

            A couple of pointers for those interested:

            Watch the amount of wash you try to run. My unit is supposed to
            take 3 quarts, but the most I can really do is closer to 2.5 because
            of boilovers. The amount of residual sugar in your wash has a great
            effect. I tried to run a failed beer, and it would boil over (boil
            up into the condeser) at any thing over 1quart! I ended up dumping
            8 gallons of beer into the garden...)

            I added a small amount of copper to the vapor path by attaching a
            copper pipe "elbow" stuffed with copper scrubber to the rubber/vinyl
            inlet hose on the lid of the unit. I don't know if it helps, but I
            figure it can't hurt. Maybe I'll see if I can add a picture to the
            photo section.

            For my next 5 gal wash I'm going to do a stripping run first (don't
            do any cuts) and then do my cuts of heads and tails on the second
            run. This should speed up the process, since I won't have to
            monitor the 1st set of runs closely at all.

            -m

            > I found your original post while searching for members who had
            used
            > the Kenmore to distill alcohol. What about heads and tails? Did
            > you just pour the wine in and let her go, or did you try to
            separate
            > out the heads, and then, tails?
            >
            > As a suggestion, you might try running a vinegar/water solution
            > through, like cleaning a coffee maker.
          • Austin Smith
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 15, 2003
              I left a post yesterday indicating that Sears had cancelled my on-line order, but a further search showed that my local store still had some units. I bought the one gallon unit this afternoon (still on sale, reduced from $179US to $99US. I'm cleaning it up now, and will probably make a run of jug wine of some kind just to how things work out.

            • was2132
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 20, 2003
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thomas_morgan"

                > I added a small amount of copper to the vapor path by attaching a
                > copper pipe "elbow" stuffed with copper scrubber to the
                rubber/vinyl
                > inlet hose on the lid of the unit. I don't know if it helps, but
                > figure it can't hurt. Maybe I'll see if I can add a picture to
                the
                > photo section.

                Have you actually gone into the unit to see how the condenser is
                made? I haven't yet, but wonder if we're dealing with a spiral
                condenser or some kind of convection radiator. I'm wondering about
                the possibility of introducing copper there, too.

                The thing works like a charm, BTW. I ran off a gallon of good jug
                wine in two 1/2 gal batches, and got a crystal clear product. I
                haven't determined the ABV yet, but it smells pretty good.