Cleaning a Keg

  • spoliatio
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2003
      Hi Reima

      I have been looking at various easy ways to connect a column to an
      old s/s beer keg and came across your picture in the Photos section
      and your text file under Files showing how you did it.

      Could you please tell me how if it is difficult to clean out the keg
      after a run and how you set about it.

      If I fit the column as per your pic I was thinking of using a high
      pressure water hose ( 110 bar ) .... but this may not be necessary ?

      Advice appreciated.

      Spoliatio
    • wsand35
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2003
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "spoliatio" <spoliatio@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Reima
        >
        > I have been looking at various easy ways to connect a column to an
        > old s/s beer keg and came across your picture in the Photos section
        > and your text file under Files showing how you did it.
        >
        > Could you please tell me how if it is difficult to clean out the keg
        > after a run and how you set about it.
        >
        > If I fit the column as per your pic I was thinking of using a high
        > pressure water hose ( 110 bar ) .... but this may not be
        necessary ?

        > Advice appreciated.
        >
        > Spoliatio
        check out this site http://www.kegs.com/selectsankey.html
        it may give you some ideals .it would be a easy way to open the top
        and clean . i made the same thing using a 6" coupling and cap with a
        2" welded on the cap (SS milk pipe type connections). i havent
        finished the column yet
      • rodmacd2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2003
          As a source for ideas this looks fine.

          I just hope no one from our forum actually orders this (price $US
          196.95) to be used as a boiler for distilling. For half this amount
          one can purchase a "point of use" hot water heater which includes an
          electric heater element, good insulation, and all necessary pipe
          ports for optimum operation.

          As always this is IMHO and others will of course disagree.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wsand35" <wsand35@y...> wrote:
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "spoliatio" <spoliatio@y...>
          wrote:
          > > Hi Reima
          > >
          > > I have been looking at various easy ways to connect a column to
          an
          > > old s/s beer keg and came across your picture in the Photos
          section
          > > and your text file under Files showing how you did it.
          > >
          > > Could you please tell me how if it is difficult to clean out the
          keg
          > > after a run and how you set about it.
          > >
          > > If I fit the column as per your pic I was thinking of using a
          high
          > > pressure water hose ( 110 bar ) .... but this may not be
          > necessary ?
          > >
          > > Advice appreciated.
          > >
          > > Spoliatio
          > check out this site http://www.kegs.com/selectsankey.html
          > it may give you some ideals .it would be a easy way to open the top
          > and clean . i made the same thing using a 6" coupling and cap with
          > 2" welded on the cap (SS milk pipe type connections). i havent
          > finished the column yet
        • spoliatio
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2003
            Hi Rodmacd2000

            Yes, this what I thought too; but in asking the question I was
            hoping that as Reima was using a keg adapted as per his photo he
            could tell me if he had any difficulty in cleaning it out.

            Cheers

            Spoliatio

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rodmacd2000" <rmacdoug@s...>