Re: [Distillers] Re: Treacle

  • Robert Elliott
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
      Hi Leigh,

      Thanks for the Captain Morgans. I note that the first line says "starting
      batch". I take it that this means the first batch and to use the "dunder"
      again for the next batches?? The site, which has some great info, doesn't
      really explain what this means.

      Members, any experience/comments??. (I think I am becoming obsessed with
      making my own rum after a visit last August to the "Bundy" rum factory). Any
      Bundy recipes out there?

      Cheers,

      Bob.

      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
        Bob,

        I bought some aussie supermarket treacle a while ago. It is like a lighter
        molasses--as you say--a step closer to cane juice than the blackstrap
        molasses sold for animal feed. Treacle would be perfect for making real rum
        according to what I've read. Commercial rum distillers apparently tend to
        use just such a higher grade of molasses. However, it'd be very expensive
        for our purposes.

        I've done three batches of rum recently. The first and second were a blend
        of 50/50 feed molasses and raw sugar, by weight. My reasoning was that this
        would roughly mimic a lighter grade of molasses while keeping costs down.
        They produced superb results. The third was around 41% molasses and is
        still aging (but smells great so far).

        To get something close to Bundaberg Rum, you'll need to carefully take mid
        to late tails -- say up to 92-93 degrees head temp or so, mix in a good
        serve of caramel and use plenty of oak (but don't overdo it and ruin a good
        thing as I eventually did with my first batch). Happily, those who've blind
        tested my rums so far alongside Bundy have preferred mine as they seem to
        lack that somewhat harsh edge and aftertaste. I'm new to rum making, so it
        goes to show how possible a decent product is.

        Good luck with it mate.

        Boot

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
          Molasses comes or rather used to come, in 3 grades from the various
          stages of sugar refining. The end product is blackstrap molasses
          which contains still about 50% sugars but these are mainly invert
          sugars and not the sucrose to form sugar crystals.
          Golden Syrup (in Australia) & Treacle (British usage) are made to
          resemble the stage 1 or 2 molasses syrups by inverting sucrose and
          adding molasses colouring. Cheaper to use dark brown sugar which also
          is made from white sugar with molasses syrup, and not from the later
          refining process.

          Wal
          --- In Distillers

        • peter_vcb
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
            "PS Slainte ! ?? PLS explain."

            slainte is the irish equivalent of cheers or "down the hatch"
          • Robert Elliott
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
              Okay,

              Cheers !

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 07:13:10AM -0000, Harry wrote:
                > Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                > Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                > recipe...
                > http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

                Harry, great set of pages! Wish my grandfather had done stuff as cool as
                this in his day. :) Any chance you'll transcribe it and/or edit it for
                modern viewing?

                -Matt

                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Matt SF <spore@p...> wrote:
                  > On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 07:13:10AM -0000, Harry wrote:
                  > > Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                  > > Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's
                  rum
                  > > recipe...
                  > > http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com
                  >
                  > Harry, great set of pages! Wish my grandfather had done stuff as
                  cool as
                  > this in his day. :) Any chance you'll transcribe it and/or edit
                  it for
                  > modern viewing?
                  >
                  > -Matt

                  Hi Matt
                  Thanks for the accolades. :)
                  Tony is doing the transcriptions and will put them up on his site.

                  I only put up the originals to give people an idea of what rum
                  distilling was all about in the old days, like step-fermentation,
                  wood-fired tinned vessels etc. Jeez, we've got it easy nowadays.

                • Mike Nixon
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                    Harry wrote:
                    Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                    Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                    recipe...
                    http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com
                    Very nice site Harry! Many thanks for sharing your Great-great grandaddy's
                    recipe ... particularly in its original form. Adds to the flavour :-)
                    All the best,
                    Mike N