Re: Treacle

    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Elliott <r_selliott@b...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Leigh,
      >
      > Have you made rum using just brown sugar and how did it turn
      out ?? Fill me
      > in on your "trade secrets".
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Bob.

      Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
      Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
      recipe...
      http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

      Don't be put off by the domain name. It's mine, & just my Aussie
      twisted sense of humour showing through again. ;^)

    • Robert Elliott
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
        Hi Harry,

        Like you I have a twisted sense of humour being an Ozzie as well - you know
        Middlemount?? Checked out G-G-G's Rum recipe and yep, it certainly looks
        like it's from that era. Did he ever spend time in gaol for selling the
        stuff??

        I will certainly give it a go, but I will have to scale down the size of it.
        Only thing I won't be able to do is to ferment in a cask. I guess that if I
        add oak shavings to my plastic fermenter it will give the same result?? Have
        you down this one, and what was the outcome?

        Cheers,

        Bob
        PS Slainte ! ?? PLS explain.

        > Have you made rum using just brown sugar and how did it turn
        out ?? Fill me
        > in on your "trade secrets".
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Bob.

        Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
        Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
        recipe...
        http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

        Don't be put off by the domain name. It's mine, & just my Aussie
        twisted sense of humour showing through again. ;^)

        To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
        distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      • watertrade2003
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
          Hi Bob,
          The file I just uploaded mentions treacle and lots of other info on
          grains for people interested in making their wash from grains.

          Cheers
          Jim

          wrote:
          > Hi Group,
          >
          > Can anyone tell me about Treacle (I believe that this name
          originated in
          > England??). What I have been led to believe is that it is the next
          stage up
          > the process ladder from molasses. Is this true? Can it be used
          effectively
          > for fermenting to do a rum run. If it is the next part of the
          process from
          > molasses, then wouldn't it contain less "unfermentable" solids (or
          in fact
          > would it contain more)? Any ideas on fermenting treacle would be
          appreciated

          > Cheers,
          >
          > Bob.
        • Robert Elliott
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
            Hi Leigh,

            Thanks for the Captain Morgans. I note that the first line says "starting
            batch". I take it that this means the first batch and to use the "dunder"
            again for the next batches?? The site, which has some great info, doesn't
            really explain what this means.

            Members, any experience/comments??. (I think I am becoming obsessed with
            making my own rum after a visit last August to the "Bundy" rum factory). Any
            Bundy recipes out there?

            Cheers,

            Bob.

            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
              Bob,

              I bought some aussie supermarket treacle a while ago. It is like a lighter
              molasses--as you say--a step closer to cane juice than the blackstrap
              molasses sold for animal feed. Treacle would be perfect for making real rum
              according to what I've read. Commercial rum distillers apparently tend to
              use just such a higher grade of molasses. However, it'd be very expensive
              for our purposes.

              I've done three batches of rum recently. The first and second were a blend
              of 50/50 feed molasses and raw sugar, by weight. My reasoning was that this
              would roughly mimic a lighter grade of molasses while keeping costs down.
              They produced superb results. The third was around 41% molasses and is
              still aging (but smells great so far).

              To get something close to Bundaberg Rum, you'll need to carefully take mid
              to late tails -- say up to 92-93 degrees head temp or so, mix in a good
              serve of caramel and use plenty of oak (but don't overdo it and ruin a good
              thing as I eventually did with my first batch). Happily, those who've blind
              tested my rums so far alongside Bundy have preferred mine as they seem to
              lack that somewhat harsh edge and aftertaste. I'm new to rum making, so it
              goes to show how possible a decent product is.

              Good luck with it mate.

              Boot

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                Molasses comes or rather used to come, in 3 grades from the various
                stages of sugar refining. The end product is blackstrap molasses
                which contains still about 50% sugars but these are mainly invert
                sugars and not the sucrose to form sugar crystals.
                Golden Syrup (in Australia) & Treacle (British usage) are made to
                resemble the stage 1 or 2 molasses syrups by inverting sucrose and
                adding molasses colouring. Cheaper to use dark brown sugar which also
                is made from white sugar with molasses syrup, and not from the later
                refining process.

                Wal
                --- In Distillers

              • peter_vcb
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                  "PS Slainte ! ?? PLS explain."

                  slainte is the irish equivalent of cheers or "down the hatch"
                • Robert Elliott
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                    Okay,

                    Cheers !

                    slainte is the irish equivalent of cheers or "down the hatch"

                    To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
                    distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  • Matt SF
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                      On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 07:13:10AM -0000, Harry wrote:
                      > Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                      > Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                      > recipe...
                      > http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

                      Harry, great set of pages! Wish my grandfather had done stuff as cool as
                      this in his day. :) Any chance you'll transcribe it and/or edit it for
                      modern viewing?

                      -Matt

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Matt SF <spore@p...> wrote:
                        > On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 07:13:10AM -0000, Harry wrote:
                        > > Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                        > > Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's
                        rum
                        > > recipe...
                        > > http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com
                        >
                        > Harry, great set of pages! Wish my grandfather had done stuff as
                        cool as
                        > this in his day. :) Any chance you'll transcribe it and/or edit
                        it for
                        > modern viewing?
                        >
                        > -Matt

                        Hi Matt
                        Thanks for the accolades. :)
                        Tony is doing the transcriptions and will put them up on his site.

                        I only put up the originals to give people an idea of what rum
                        distilling was all about in the old days, like step-fermentation,
                        wood-fired tinned vessels etc. Jeez, we've got it easy nowadays.

                      • Mike Nixon
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                          Harry wrote:
                          Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                          Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                          recipe...
                          http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com
                          Very nice site Harry! Many thanks for sharing your Great-great grandaddy's
                          recipe ... particularly in its original form. Adds to the flavour :-)
                          All the best,
                          Mike N