Re: [Distillers] Re: Treacle

  • Robert Elliott
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
      Wow ! Thanks a million for that.

      Cheers,

      Bob.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Murphy-Marsh, Leigh" <Leigh.Murphy-Marsh@...>
      To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 4:34 PM
      Subject: RE: [Distillers] Re: Treacle

      Hi Bob,
      No, not me mate. I'm more a bourbon drinker. But have read of a few people
      who have done it.
      I did make a rummie tasting beer without nutrients called Simha once (I
      think it's Finnish) out of brown sugar but I digress.
      I stole this in it's entirety (hope Tony doesn't mind) from
      www.homedistiller.org but I'm not sure which Mike's recipe it is.
      All credit belongs to others. Look under "Preparing the wash/sugar
      based/rum".

      The recipe according to me for CAPTAIN MORGAN SPICED RUM is (starting
      batch)......
      6 kg brown sugar ,
      100 gm (extremely good) yeast nutrient
      2 packages (5gm per each) Lalvin-EC-1118 yeast. Make sure you bring the
      yeast up to a good foam (1/2 hr @ 80 F (26C) in 150 ml of the wash).
      Add yeast to wert and add heat band to keep fermentation to 74 degrees F
      (23C) untill it reaches 0.998 specific gravity.
      After that...you must filter the must through a wine filter(# 3 VINAMAT )
      filter pad to get rid of as much yeast as possible before distilling.
      Distill as per Tony's rules and collect in a big enough container to allow
      the cut down with distilled water (as per Tony's calculators on his
      website). Make sure the alcohol is 53%.
      Add 1 Tbsp toasted (white American Oak chips) take that any way you
      like....HA HA HA....,
      1 tsp ground cinnamon,
      1 tsp ground ginger,
      2-dried cloves.
      You may add as much caramelized white sugar as you would like to deepen the
      colour of the spiced rum
      Let this soak for 1-2 weeks (or per taste or smell)
      you mus t put the spiced rum through a coffee filter before you drink it
      unless you like alot of stuff going down your throat that does not belong
      there.
      The way I distill is I use 60 oz. bottles for the distillate. After the
      first one is full I take a hydrometer reading. Same with the second and the
      third and so on. I finish when the coloumn temp reaches 90 degrees C temp.
      Then I take 2 minutes of tails for flavour and then I shut it down. Too much
      more will give you brackish yuck flavour!! After the run is finished I
      combine all the 60 oz. bottles and take a final gravity reading.Usually
      around 85-92%. This is then split in half with distilled water (unless
      making spiced rum which has to stay at 53% to get the vanillins out of the
      oak chips). The spiced rum can be dilluted down to 40% but it is quite good
      at 53%. By the way...I use brass scrubbers in the still because the don't
      impart flavour like stainless ones do.
      and then have a PARTY!!!!!!!

      Cheers,
      Leigh

      To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
      distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Elliott <r_selliott@b...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Leigh,
        >
        > Have you made rum using just brown sugar and how did it turn
        out ?? Fill me
        > in on your "trade secrets".
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Bob.

        Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
        Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
        recipe...
        http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

        Don't be put off by the domain name. It's mine, & just my Aussie
        twisted sense of humour showing through again. ;^)

      • Robert Elliott
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
          Hi Harry,

          Like you I have a twisted sense of humour being an Ozzie as well - you know
          Middlemount?? Checked out G-G-G's Rum recipe and yep, it certainly looks
          like it's from that era. Did he ever spend time in gaol for selling the
          stuff??

          I will certainly give it a go, but I will have to scale down the size of it.
          Only thing I won't be able to do is to ferment in a cask. I guess that if I
          add oak shavings to my plastic fermenter it will give the same result?? Have
          you down this one, and what was the outcome?

          Cheers,

          Bob
          PS Slainte ! ?? PLS explain.

          > Have you made rum using just brown sugar and how did it turn
          out ?? Fill me
          > in on your "trade secrets".
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Bob.

          Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
          Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
          recipe...
          http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

          Don't be put off by the domain name. It's mine, & just my Aussie
          twisted sense of humour showing through again. ;^)

          To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
          distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        • watertrade2003
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
            Hi Bob,
            The file I just uploaded mentions treacle and lots of other info on
            grains for people interested in making their wash from grains.

            Cheers
            Jim

            wrote:
            > Hi Group,
            >
            > Can anyone tell me about Treacle (I believe that this name
            originated in
            > England??). What I have been led to believe is that it is the next
            stage up
            > the process ladder from molasses. Is this true? Can it be used
            effectively
            > for fermenting to do a rum run. If it is the next part of the
            process from
            > molasses, then wouldn't it contain less "unfermentable" solids (or
            in fact
            > would it contain more)? Any ideas on fermenting treacle would be
            appreciated

            > Cheers,
            >
            > Bob.
          • Robert Elliott
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
              Hi Leigh,

              Thanks for the Captain Morgans. I note that the first line says "starting
              batch". I take it that this means the first batch and to use the "dunder"
              again for the next batches?? The site, which has some great info, doesn't
              really explain what this means.

              Members, any experience/comments??. (I think I am becoming obsessed with
              making my own rum after a visit last August to the "Bundy" rum factory). Any
              Bundy recipes out there?

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                Bob,

                I bought some aussie supermarket treacle a while ago. It is like a lighter
                molasses--as you say--a step closer to cane juice than the blackstrap
                molasses sold for animal feed. Treacle would be perfect for making real rum
                according to what I've read. Commercial rum distillers apparently tend to
                use just such a higher grade of molasses. However, it'd be very expensive
                for our purposes.

                I've done three batches of rum recently. The first and second were a blend
                of 50/50 feed molasses and raw sugar, by weight. My reasoning was that this
                would roughly mimic a lighter grade of molasses while keeping costs down.
                They produced superb results. The third was around 41% molasses and is
                still aging (but smells great so far).

                To get something close to Bundaberg Rum, you'll need to carefully take mid
                to late tails -- say up to 92-93 degrees head temp or so, mix in a good
                serve of caramel and use plenty of oak (but don't overdo it and ruin a good
                thing as I eventually did with my first batch). Happily, those who've blind
                tested my rums so far alongside Bundy have preferred mine as they seem to
                lack that somewhat harsh edge and aftertaste. I'm new to rum making, so it
                goes to show how possible a decent product is.

                Good luck with it mate.

                Boot

                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                  Molasses comes or rather used to come, in 3 grades from the various
                  stages of sugar refining. The end product is blackstrap molasses
                  which contains still about 50% sugars but these are mainly invert
                  sugars and not the sucrose to form sugar crystals.
                  Golden Syrup (in Australia) & Treacle (British usage) are made to
                  resemble the stage 1 or 2 molasses syrups by inverting sucrose and
                  adding molasses colouring. Cheaper to use dark brown sugar which also
                  is made from white sugar with molasses syrup, and not from the later
                  refining process.

                  Wal
                  --- In Distillers

                • peter_vcb
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                    "PS Slainte ! ?? PLS explain."

                    slainte is the irish equivalent of cheers or "down the hatch"
                  • Robert Elliott
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                      Okay,

                      Cheers !

                      slainte is the irish equivalent of cheers or "down the hatch"

                      To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
                      distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    • Matt SF
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                        On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 07:13:10AM -0000, Harry wrote:
                        > Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                        > Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                        > recipe...
                        > http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

                        Harry, great set of pages! Wish my grandfather had done stuff as cool as
                        this in his day. :) Any chance you'll transcribe it and/or edit it for
                        modern viewing?

                        -Matt

                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Matt SF <spore@p...> wrote:
                          > On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 07:13:10AM -0000, Harry wrote:
                          > > Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                          > > Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's
                          rum
                          > > recipe...
                          > > http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com
                          >
                          > Harry, great set of pages! Wish my grandfather had done stuff as
                          cool as
                          > this in his day. :) Any chance you'll transcribe it and/or edit
                          it for
                          > modern viewing?
                          >
                          > -Matt

                          Hi Matt
                          Thanks for the accolades. :)
                          Tony is doing the transcriptions and will put them up on his site.

                          I only put up the originals to give people an idea of what rum
                          distilling was all about in the old days, like step-fermentation,
                          wood-fired tinned vessels etc. Jeez, we've got it easy nowadays.

                        • Mike Nixon
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                            Harry wrote:
                            Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                            Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                            recipe...
                            http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com
                            Very nice site Harry! Many thanks for sharing your Great-great grandaddy's
                            recipe ... particularly in its original form. Adds to the flavour :-)
                            All the best,
                            Mike N