RE: [Distillers] Re: Treacle

  • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
      Hi Bob,
      No, not me mate. I'm more a bourbon drinker. But have read of a few people who have done it.
      I did make a rummie tasting beer without nutrients called Simha once (I think it's Finnish) out of brown sugar but I digress.
      I stole this in it's entirety (hope Tony doesn't mind) from www.homedistiller.org but I'm not sure which Mike's recipe it is.
      All credit belongs to others. Look under "Preparing the wash/sugar based/rum".

      The recipe according to me for CAPTAIN MORGAN SPICED RUM is (starting batch)......
      6 kg brown sugar ,
      100 gm (extremely good) yeast nutrient
      2 packages (5gm per each) Lalvin-EC-1118 yeast. Make sure you bring the yeast up to a good foam (1/2 hr @ 80 F (26C) in 150 ml of the wash).
      Add yeast to wert and add heat band to keep fermentation to 74 degrees F (23C) untill it reaches 0.998 specific gravity.
      After that...you must filter the must through a wine filter(# 3 VINAMAT ) filter pad to get rid of as much yeast as possible before distilling.
      Distill as per Tony's rules and collect in a big enough container to allow the cut down with distilled water (as per Tony's calculators on his website). Make sure the alcohol is 53%.
      Add 1 Tbsp toasted (white American Oak chips) take that any way you like....HA HA HA....,
      1 tsp ground cinnamon,
      1 tsp ground ginger,
      2-dried cloves.
      You may add as much caramelized white sugar as you would like to deepen the colour of the spiced rum
      Let this soak for 1-2 weeks (or per taste or smell)
      you mus t put the spiced rum through a coffee filter before you drink it unless you like alot of stuff going down your throat that does not belong there.
      The way I distill is I use 60 oz. bottles for the distillate. After the first one is full I take a hydrometer reading. Same with the second and the third and so on. I finish when the coloumn temp reaches 90 degrees C temp. Then I take 2 minutes of tails for flavour and then I shut it down. Too much more will give you brackish yuck flavour!! After the run is finished I combine all the 60 oz. bottles and take a final gravity reading.Usually around 85-92%. This is then split in half with distilled water (unless making spiced rum which has to stay at 53% to get the vanillins out of the oak chips). The spiced rum can be dilluted down to 40% but it is quite good at 53%. By the way...I use brass scrubbers in the still because the don't impart flavour like stainless ones do.
      and then have a PARTY!!!!!!!

      Cheers,
      Leigh
    • Robert Elliott
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
        Wow ! Thanks a million for that.

        Cheers,

[...]

        To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
        distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Elliott <r_selliott@b...>
          wrote:
          > Hi Leigh,
          >
          > Have you made rum using just brown sugar and how did it turn
          out ?? Fill me
          > in on your "trade secrets".
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Bob.

          Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
          Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
          recipe...
          http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

          Don't be put off by the domain name. It's mine, & just my Aussie
          twisted sense of humour showing through again. ;^)

        • Robert Elliott
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
            Hi Harry,

            Like you I have a twisted sense of humour being an Ozzie as well - you know
            Middlemount?? Checked out G-G-G's Rum recipe and yep, it certainly looks
            like it's from that era. Did he ever spend time in gaol for selling the
            stuff??

            I will certainly give it a go, but I will have to scale down the size of it.
            Only thing I won't be able to do is to ferment in a cask. I guess that if I
            add oak shavings to my plastic fermenter it will give the same result?? Have
            you down this one, and what was the outcome?

            Cheers,

            Bob
            PS Slainte ! ?? PLS explain.

            > Have you made rum using just brown sugar and how did it turn
            out ?? Fill me
            > in on your "trade secrets".
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Bob.

            Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
            Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
            recipe...
            http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

            Don't be put off by the domain name. It's mine, & just my Aussie
            twisted sense of humour showing through again. ;^)

            To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
            distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          • watertrade2003
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
              Hi Bob,
              The file I just uploaded mentions treacle and lots of other info on
              grains for people interested in making their wash from grains.

              Cheers
              Jim

              wrote:
              > Hi Group,
              >
              > Can anyone tell me about Treacle (I believe that this name
              originated in
              > England??). What I have been led to believe is that it is the next
              stage up
              > the process ladder from molasses. Is this true? Can it be used
              effectively
              > for fermenting to do a rum run. If it is the next part of the
              process from
              > molasses, then wouldn't it contain less "unfermentable" solids (or
              in fact
              > would it contain more)? Any ideas on fermenting treacle would be
              appreciated

              > Cheers,
              >
              > Bob.
            • Robert Elliott
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                Hi Leigh,

                Thanks for the Captain Morgans. I note that the first line says "starting
                batch". I take it that this means the first batch and to use the "dunder"
                again for the next batches?? The site, which has some great info, doesn't
                really explain what this means.

                Members, any experience/comments??. (I think I am becoming obsessed with
                making my own rum after a visit last August to the "Bundy" rum factory). Any
                Bundy recipes out there?

                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                  Bob,

                  I bought some aussie supermarket treacle a while ago. It is like a lighter
                  molasses--as you say--a step closer to cane juice than the blackstrap
                  molasses sold for animal feed. Treacle would be perfect for making real rum
                  according to what I've read. Commercial rum distillers apparently tend to
                  use just such a higher grade of molasses. However, it'd be very expensive
                  for our purposes.

                  I've done three batches of rum recently. The first and second were a blend
                  of 50/50 feed molasses and raw sugar, by weight. My reasoning was that this
                  would roughly mimic a lighter grade of molasses while keeping costs down.
                  They produced superb results. The third was around 41% molasses and is
                  still aging (but smells great so far).

                  To get something close to Bundaberg Rum, you'll need to carefully take mid
                  to late tails -- say up to 92-93 degrees head temp or so, mix in a good
                  serve of caramel and use plenty of oak (but don't overdo it and ruin a good
                  thing as I eventually did with my first batch). Happily, those who've blind
                  tested my rums so far alongside Bundy have preferred mine as they seem to
                  lack that somewhat harsh edge and aftertaste. I'm new to rum making, so it
                  goes to show how possible a decent product is.

                  Good luck with it mate.

                  Boot

                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                    Molasses comes or rather used to come, in 3 grades from the various
                    stages of sugar refining. The end product is blackstrap molasses
                    which contains still about 50% sugars but these are mainly invert
                    sugars and not the sucrose to form sugar crystals.
                    Golden Syrup (in Australia) & Treacle (British usage) are made to
                    resemble the stage 1 or 2 molasses syrups by inverting sucrose and
                    adding molasses colouring. Cheaper to use dark brown sugar which also
                    is made from white sugar with molasses syrup, and not from the later
                    refining process.

                    Wal
                    --- In Distillers

                  • peter_vcb
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                      "PS Slainte ! ?? PLS explain."

                      slainte is the irish equivalent of cheers or "down the hatch"
                    • Robert Elliott
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                        Okay,

                        Cheers !

                        slainte is the irish equivalent of cheers or "down the hatch"

                        To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
                        distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      • Matt SF
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                          On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 07:13:10AM -0000, Harry wrote:
                          > Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                          > Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                          > recipe...
                          > http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

                          Harry, great set of pages! Wish my grandfather had done stuff as cool as
                          this in his day. :) Any chance you'll transcribe it and/or edit it for
                          modern viewing?

                          -Matt

                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Matt SF <spore@p...> wrote:
                            > On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 07:13:10AM -0000, Harry wrote:
                            > > Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                            > > Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's
                            rum
                            > > recipe...
                            > > http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com
                            >
                            > Harry, great set of pages! Wish my grandfather had done stuff as
                            cool as
                            > this in his day. :) Any chance you'll transcribe it and/or edit
                            it for
                            > modern viewing?
                            >
                            > -Matt

                            Hi Matt
                            Thanks for the accolades. :)
                            Tony is doing the transcriptions and will put them up on his site.

                            I only put up the originals to give people an idea of what rum
                            distilling was all about in the old days, like step-fermentation,
                            wood-fired tinned vessels etc. Jeez, we've got it easy nowadays.

                          • Mike Nixon
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                              Harry wrote:
                              Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                              Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                              recipe...
                              http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com
                              Very nice site Harry! Many thanks for sharing your Great-great grandaddy's
                              recipe ... particularly in its original form. Adds to the flavour :-)
                              All the best,
                              Mike N