RE: [Distillers] Re: Treacle

  • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
      Some people make rum entirely out of Brown sugar.

      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
        Hi Leigh,

        Have you made rum using just brown sugar and how did it turn out ?? Fill me
        in on your "trade secrets".

        Cheers,

        Bob.

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
          Hi Bob,
          No, not me mate. I'm more a bourbon drinker. But have read of a few people who have done it.
          I did make a rummie tasting beer without nutrients called Simha once (I think it's Finnish) out of brown sugar but I digress.
          I stole this in it's entirety (hope Tony doesn't mind) from www.homedistiller.org but I'm not sure which Mike's recipe it is.
          All credit belongs to others. Look under "Preparing the wash/sugar based/rum".

          The recipe according to me for CAPTAIN MORGAN SPICED RUM is (starting batch)......
          6 kg brown sugar ,
          100 gm (extremely good) yeast nutrient
          2 packages (5gm per each) Lalvin-EC-1118 yeast. Make sure you bring the yeast up to a good foam (1/2 hr @ 80 F (26C) in 150 ml of the wash).
          Add yeast to wert and add heat band to keep fermentation to 74 degrees F (23C) untill it reaches 0.998 specific gravity.
          After that...you must filter the must through a wine filter(# 3 VINAMAT ) filter pad to get rid of as much yeast as possible before distilling.
          Distill as per Tony's rules and collect in a big enough container to allow the cut down with distilled water (as per Tony's calculators on his website). Make sure the alcohol is 53%.
          Add 1 Tbsp toasted (white American Oak chips) take that any way you like....HA HA HA....,
          1 tsp ground cinnamon,
          1 tsp ground ginger,
          2-dried cloves.
          You may add as much caramelized white sugar as you would like to deepen the colour of the spiced rum
          Let this soak for 1-2 weeks (or per taste or smell)
          you mus t put the spiced rum through a coffee filter before you drink it unless you like alot of stuff going down your throat that does not belong there.
          The way I distill is I use 60 oz. bottles for the distillate. After the first one is full I take a hydrometer reading. Same with the second and the third and so on. I finish when the coloumn temp reaches 90 degrees C temp. Then I take 2 minutes of tails for flavour and then I shut it down. Too much more will give you brackish yuck flavour!! After the run is finished I combine all the 60 oz. bottles and take a final gravity reading.Usually around 85-92%. This is then split in half with distilled water (unless making spiced rum which has to stay at 53% to get the vanillins out of the oak chips). The spiced rum can be dilluted down to 40% but it is quite good at 53%. By the way...I use brass scrubbers in the still because the don't impart flavour like stainless ones do.
          and then have a PARTY!!!!!!!

          Cheers,
          Leigh
        • Robert Elliott
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
            Wow ! Thanks a million for that.

            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
              wrote:
              > Hi Leigh,
              >
              > Have you made rum using just brown sugar and how did it turn
              out ?? Fill me
              > in on your "trade secrets".
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Bob.

              Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
              Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
              recipe...
              http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

              Don't be put off by the domain name. It's mine, & just my Aussie
              twisted sense of humour showing through again. ;^)

            • Robert Elliott
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                Hi Harry,

                Like you I have a twisted sense of humour being an Ozzie as well - you know
                Middlemount?? Checked out G-G-G's Rum recipe and yep, it certainly looks
                like it's from that era. Did he ever spend time in gaol for selling the
                stuff??

                I will certainly give it a go, but I will have to scale down the size of it.
                Only thing I won't be able to do is to ferment in a cask. I guess that if I
                add oak shavings to my plastic fermenter it will give the same result?? Have
                you down this one, and what was the outcome?

                Cheers,

                Bob
                PS Slainte ! ?? PLS explain.

                > Have you made rum using just brown sugar and how did it turn
                out ?? Fill me
                > in on your "trade secrets".
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Bob.

                Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                recipe...
                http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

                Don't be put off by the domain name. It's mine, & just my Aussie
                twisted sense of humour showing through again. ;^)

                To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
                distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              • watertrade2003
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                  Hi Bob,
                  The file I just uploaded mentions treacle and lots of other info on
                  grains for people interested in making their wash from grains.

                  Cheers
                  Jim

                  wrote:
                  > Hi Group,
                  >
                  > Can anyone tell me about Treacle (I believe that this name
                  originated in
                  > England??). What I have been led to believe is that it is the next
                  stage up
                  > the process ladder from molasses. Is this true? Can it be used
                  effectively
                  > for fermenting to do a rum run. If it is the next part of the
                  process from
                  > molasses, then wouldn't it contain less "unfermentable" solids (or
                  in fact
                  > would it contain more)? Any ideas on fermenting treacle would be
                  appreciated

                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Bob.
                • Robert Elliott
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                    Hi Leigh,

                    Thanks for the Captain Morgans. I note that the first line says "starting
                    batch". I take it that this means the first batch and to use the "dunder"
                    again for the next batches?? The site, which has some great info, doesn't
                    really explain what this means.

                    Members, any experience/comments??. (I think I am becoming obsessed with
                    making my own rum after a visit last August to the "Bundy" rum factory). Any
                    Bundy recipes out there?

                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                      Bob,

                      I bought some aussie supermarket treacle a while ago. It is like a lighter
                      molasses--as you say--a step closer to cane juice than the blackstrap
                      molasses sold for animal feed. Treacle would be perfect for making real rum
                      according to what I've read. Commercial rum distillers apparently tend to
                      use just such a higher grade of molasses. However, it'd be very expensive
                      for our purposes.

                      I've done three batches of rum recently. The first and second were a blend
                      of 50/50 feed molasses and raw sugar, by weight. My reasoning was that this
                      would roughly mimic a lighter grade of molasses while keeping costs down.
                      They produced superb results. The third was around 41% molasses and is
                      still aging (but smells great so far).

                      To get something close to Bundaberg Rum, you'll need to carefully take mid
                      to late tails -- say up to 92-93 degrees head temp or so, mix in a good
                      serve of caramel and use plenty of oak (but don't overdo it and ruin a good
                      thing as I eventually did with my first batch). Happily, those who've blind
                      tested my rums so far alongside Bundy have preferred mine as they seem to
                      lack that somewhat harsh edge and aftertaste. I'm new to rum making, so it
                      goes to show how possible a decent product is.

                      Good luck with it mate.

                      Boot

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                        Molasses comes or rather used to come, in 3 grades from the various
                        stages of sugar refining. The end product is blackstrap molasses
                        which contains still about 50% sugars but these are mainly invert
                        sugars and not the sucrose to form sugar crystals.
                        Golden Syrup (in Australia) & Treacle (British usage) are made to
                        resemble the stage 1 or 2 molasses syrups by inverting sucrose and
                        adding molasses colouring. Cheaper to use dark brown sugar which also
                        is made from white sugar with molasses syrup, and not from the later
                        refining process.

                        Wal
                        --- In Distillers

                      • peter_vcb
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                          "PS Slainte ! ?? PLS explain."

                          slainte is the irish equivalent of cheers or "down the hatch"
                        • Robert Elliott
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                            Okay,

                            Cheers !

                            slainte is the irish equivalent of cheers or "down the hatch"

                            To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
                            distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                          • Matt SF
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                              On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 07:13:10AM -0000, Harry wrote:
                              > Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                              > Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                              > recipe...
                              > http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

                              Harry, great set of pages! Wish my grandfather had done stuff as cool as
                              this in his day. :) Any chance you'll transcribe it and/or edit it for
                              modern viewing?

                              -Matt

                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Matt SF <spore@p...> wrote:
                                > On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 07:13:10AM -0000, Harry wrote:
                                > > Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                                > > Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's
                                rum
                                > > recipe...
                                > > http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com
                                >
                                > Harry, great set of pages! Wish my grandfather had done stuff as
                                cool as
                                > this in his day. :) Any chance you'll transcribe it and/or edit
                                it for
                                > modern viewing?
                                >
                                > -Matt

                                Hi Matt
                                Thanks for the accolades. :)
                                Tony is doing the transcriptions and will put them up on his site.

                                I only put up the originals to give people an idea of what rum
                                distilling was all about in the old days, like step-fermentation,
                                wood-fired tinned vessels etc. Jeez, we've got it easy nowadays.

                              • Mike Nixon
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                                  Harry wrote:
                                  Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                                  Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                                  recipe...
                                  http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com
                                  Very nice site Harry! Many thanks for sharing your Great-great grandaddy's
                                  recipe ... particularly in its original form. Adds to the flavour :-)
                                  All the best,
                                  Mike N