small column

  • watertrade2003
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2003
      hi everyone
      What do you think of this idea - Is there something I'm missing?
      I want to make a column that is as small as possible. am I right in thinking
      that if I allow all the liquid in the boiler to hypothetically pass through the
      column at least once and have a high reflux ratio I should be able to separate
      my heads and tails as normal?
      eg> if I have a 5 litre boiler and I allow all the liquid to pass through the
      column ( worked out by knowing the power of the element and abit of guess
      work) and maintained a high relux ratio. all the heads would start to collect in
      this small column -( I would have to try and figure out the correct size of the
      column) - I could then take off the heads as usual and start on the main run?

      *Having a long column just allows more opertunity for the vapour to condense
      and for the more volotile components of the liquid to re-vapourise and
      therefore be higher in volitiles (%) than the liquid from which it came? -
      higher % alcohol.

      ** So couldn't I just have a larger relux ratio which would make up for all the
      ~plates~ in the column??.

      Thanks
      Jim