Re: Treacle

    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Elliott <r_selliott@b...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Group,
      >
      > Can anyone tell me about Treacle (I believe that this name
      originated in
      > England??). What I have been led to believe is that it is the next
      stage up
      > the process ladder from molasses. Is this true? Can it be used
      effectively
      > for fermenting to do a rum run. If it is the next part of the
      process from
      > molasses, then wouldn't it contain less "unfermentable" solids (or
      in fact
      > would it contain more)? Any ideas on fermenting treacle would be
      appreciated

      > Cheers,
      >
      > Bob.

      Hi Bob,
      I've used treacle to make rum. It works. It works better the
      second time when you've got dunder left over from the previous run
      to add to the wort.
      It's also very expensive. The last time I bought a tin 850gm (for
      home use) last week it cost me AUD $2.75 at Woolies in Cairns N.Q.
      It you allow that treacle & molasses only have about 50% fermentable
      sugars, that's $2.75 for 425gm. Compare that to raw sugar at $1.00
      per kg. or feedstore molasses at $30 - $40 for 200lt drum and you
      can see what I mean.

      HTH
    • Robert Elliott
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
        Hi Group,

        Thanks for all the info about treacle. It not only shows that I was correct
        in some respects but it also shows my ignorance to molasses. Interesting was
        to find out about brown sugar being white sugar with a molasses coating.
        Also of tremendous use was the fact that I should be reusing some of the
        "dunder" for a rum run.

        It now raises the question (with me) about brown sugar, seeing that it
        obviously has a higher sucrose level than molasses. Can it be used instead
        of treacle/molasses for a rum run. Surely someone out there with a curiosity
        like mine, has tried and I'm curious about the results.

        Cheers,

        Bob.

        > Can anyone tell me about Treacle (I believe that this name
        originated in
        > England??). What I have been led to believe is that it is the next
        stage up
        > the process ladder from molasses. Is this true? Can it be used
        effectively
        > for fermenting to do a rum run. If it is the next part of the
        process from
        > molasses, then wouldn't it contain less "unfermentable" solids (or
        in fact
        > would it contain more)? Any ideas on fermenting treacle would be
        appreciated

        > Cheers,
        >
        > Bob.

        Hi Bob,
        I've used treacle to make rum. It works. It works better the
        second time when you've got dunder left over from the previous run
        to add to the wort.
        It's also very expensive. The last time I bought a tin 850gm (for
        home use) last week it cost me AUD $2.75 at Woolies in Cairns N.Q.
        It you allow that treacle & molasses only have about 50% fermentable
        sugars, that's $2.75 for 425gm. Compare that to raw sugar at $1.00
        per kg. or feedstore molasses at $30 - $40 for 200lt drum and you
        can see what I mean.

        HTH

        To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
        distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
          Some people make rum entirely out of Brown sugar.

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
            Hi Leigh,

            Have you made rum using just brown sugar and how did it turn out ?? Fill me
            in on your "trade secrets".

            Cheers,

            Bob.

            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
              Hi Bob,
              No, not me mate. I'm more a bourbon drinker. But have read of a few people who have done it.
              I did make a rummie tasting beer without nutrients called Simha once (I think it's Finnish) out of brown sugar but I digress.
              I stole this in it's entirety (hope Tony doesn't mind) from www.homedistiller.org but I'm not sure which Mike's recipe it is.
              All credit belongs to others. Look under "Preparing the wash/sugar based/rum".

              The recipe according to me for CAPTAIN MORGAN SPICED RUM is (starting batch)......
              6 kg brown sugar ,
              100 gm (extremely good) yeast nutrient
              2 packages (5gm per each) Lalvin-EC-1118 yeast. Make sure you bring the yeast up to a good foam (1/2 hr @ 80 F (26C) in 150 ml of the wash).
              Add yeast to wert and add heat band to keep fermentation to 74 degrees F (23C) untill it reaches 0.998 specific gravity.
              After that...you must filter the must through a wine filter(# 3 VINAMAT ) filter pad to get rid of as much yeast as possible before distilling.
              Distill as per Tony's rules and collect in a big enough container to allow the cut down with distilled water (as per Tony's calculators on his website). Make sure the alcohol is 53%.
              Add 1 Tbsp toasted (white American Oak chips) take that any way you like....HA HA HA....,
              1 tsp ground cinnamon,
              1 tsp ground ginger,
              2-dried cloves.
              You may add as much caramelized white sugar as you would like to deepen the colour of the spiced rum
              Let this soak for 1-2 weeks (or per taste or smell)
              you mus t put the spiced rum through a coffee filter before you drink it unless you like alot of stuff going down your throat that does not belong there.
              The way I distill is I use 60 oz. bottles for the distillate. After the first one is full I take a hydrometer reading. Same with the second and the third and so on. I finish when the coloumn temp reaches 90 degrees C temp. Then I take 2 minutes of tails for flavour and then I shut it down. Too much more will give you brackish yuck flavour!! After the run is finished I combine all the 60 oz. bottles and take a final gravity reading.Usually around 85-92%. This is then split in half with distilled water (unless making spiced rum which has to stay at 53% to get the vanillins out of the oak chips). The spiced rum can be dilluted down to 40% but it is quite good at 53%. By the way...I use brass scrubbers in the still because the don't impart flavour like stainless ones do.
              and then have a PARTY!!!!!!!

              Cheers,
              Leigh
            • Robert Elliott
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
                Wow ! Thanks a million for that.

                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
                  wrote:
                  > Hi Leigh,
                  >
                  > Have you made rum using just brown sugar and how did it turn
                  out ?? Fill me
                  > in on your "trade secrets".
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Bob.

                  Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                  Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                  recipe...
                  http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

                  Don't be put off by the domain name. It's mine, & just my Aussie
                  twisted sense of humour showing through again. ;^)

                • Robert Elliott
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                    Hi Harry,

                    Like you I have a twisted sense of humour being an Ozzie as well - you know
                    Middlemount?? Checked out G-G-G's Rum recipe and yep, it certainly looks
                    like it's from that era. Did he ever spend time in gaol for selling the
                    stuff??

                    I will certainly give it a go, but I will have to scale down the size of it.
                    Only thing I won't be able to do is to ferment in a cask. I guess that if I
                    add oak shavings to my plastic fermenter it will give the same result?? Have
                    you down this one, and what was the outcome?

                    Cheers,

                    Bob
                    PS Slainte ! ?? PLS explain.

                    > Have you made rum using just brown sugar and how did it turn
                    out ?? Fill me
                    > in on your "trade secrets".
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    > Bob.

                    Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                    Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                    recipe...
                    http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

                    Don't be put off by the domain name. It's mine, & just my Aussie
                    twisted sense of humour showing through again. ;^)

                    To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
                    distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  • watertrade2003
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                      Hi Bob,
                      The file I just uploaded mentions treacle and lots of other info on
                      grains for people interested in making their wash from grains.

                      Cheers
                      Jim

                      wrote:
                      > Hi Group,
                      >
                      > Can anyone tell me about Treacle (I believe that this name
                      originated in
                      > England??). What I have been led to believe is that it is the next
                      stage up
                      > the process ladder from molasses. Is this true? Can it be used
                      effectively
                      > for fermenting to do a rum run. If it is the next part of the
                      process from
                      > molasses, then wouldn't it contain less "unfermentable" solids (or
                      in fact
                      > would it contain more)? Any ideas on fermenting treacle would be
                      appreciated

                      > Cheers,
                      >
                      > Bob.
                    • Robert Elliott
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                        Hi Leigh,

                        Thanks for the Captain Morgans. I note that the first line says "starting
                        batch". I take it that this means the first batch and to use the "dunder"
                        again for the next batches?? The site, which has some great info, doesn't
                        really explain what this means.

                        Members, any experience/comments??. (I think I am becoming obsessed with
                        making my own rum after a visit last August to the "Bundy" rum factory). Any
                        Bundy recipes out there?

                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                          Bob,

                          I bought some aussie supermarket treacle a while ago. It is like a lighter
                          molasses--as you say--a step closer to cane juice than the blackstrap
                          molasses sold for animal feed. Treacle would be perfect for making real rum
                          according to what I've read. Commercial rum distillers apparently tend to
                          use just such a higher grade of molasses. However, it'd be very expensive
                          for our purposes.

                          I've done three batches of rum recently. The first and second were a blend
                          of 50/50 feed molasses and raw sugar, by weight. My reasoning was that this
                          would roughly mimic a lighter grade of molasses while keeping costs down.
                          They produced superb results. The third was around 41% molasses and is
                          still aging (but smells great so far).

                          To get something close to Bundaberg Rum, you'll need to carefully take mid
                          to late tails -- say up to 92-93 degrees head temp or so, mix in a good
                          serve of caramel and use plenty of oak (but don't overdo it and ruin a good
                          thing as I eventually did with my first batch). Happily, those who've blind
                          tested my rums so far alongside Bundy have preferred mine as they seem to
                          lack that somewhat harsh edge and aftertaste. I'm new to rum making, so it
                          goes to show how possible a decent product is.

                          Good luck with it mate.

                          Boot

                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                            Molasses comes or rather used to come, in 3 grades from the various
                            stages of sugar refining. The end product is blackstrap molasses
                            which contains still about 50% sugars but these are mainly invert
                            sugars and not the sucrose to form sugar crystals.
                            Golden Syrup (in Australia) & Treacle (British usage) are made to
                            resemble the stage 1 or 2 molasses syrups by inverting sucrose and
                            adding molasses colouring. Cheaper to use dark brown sugar which also
                            is made from white sugar with molasses syrup, and not from the later
                            refining process.

                            Wal
                            --- In Distillers

                          • peter_vcb
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                              "PS Slainte ! ?? PLS explain."

                              slainte is the irish equivalent of cheers or "down the hatch"
                            • Robert Elliott
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                                Okay,

                                Cheers !

                                slainte is the irish equivalent of cheers or "down the hatch"

                                To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
                                distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                              • Matt SF
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                                  On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 07:13:10AM -0000, Harry wrote:
                                  > Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                                  > Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                                  > recipe...
                                  > http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

                                  Harry, great set of pages! Wish my grandfather had done stuff as cool as
                                  this in his day. :) Any chance you'll transcribe it and/or edit it for
                                  modern viewing?

                                  -Matt

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Matt SF <spore@p...> wrote:
                                    > On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 07:13:10AM -0000, Harry wrote:
                                    > > Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                                    > > Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's
                                    rum
                                    > > recipe...
                                    > > http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com
                                    >
                                    > Harry, great set of pages! Wish my grandfather had done stuff as
                                    cool as
                                    > this in his day. :) Any chance you'll transcribe it and/or edit
                                    it for
                                    > modern viewing?
                                    >
                                    > -Matt

                                    Hi Matt
                                    Thanks for the accolades. :)
                                    Tony is doing the transcriptions and will put them up on his site.

                                    I only put up the originals to give people an idea of what rum
                                    distilling was all about in the old days, like step-fermentation,
                                    wood-fired tinned vessels etc. Jeez, we've got it easy nowadays.

                                  • Mike Nixon
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                                      Harry wrote:
                                      Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                                      Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                                      recipe...
                                      http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com
                                      Very nice site Harry! Many thanks for sharing your Great-great grandaddy's
                                      recipe ... particularly in its original form. Adds to the flavour :-)
                                      All the best,
                                      Mike N