Re: head body tail separator, result

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
      I guess I'll have to build one myself. Instead of those cable
      fittings I thought I would try airlock gaskets from fermentation
      bucket. If I understood it correctly you have a copper pipe that goes
      to the bottle and you can adjust the cut by sliding it up or down?
      That pipe in turn is connected to the separator with hose? Time to
      visit the HW store for some tin and hose I think. Thanks for sharing
      your invention!

      Greetz, Riku

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Johan" <mugg@h...> wrote:
      > I re-distilled stripped alcohol and some extra head and tail.
      > 1 litre head, 5 litre middle cut and 2 litres of tail collected
      from the
      > separator.
      > No problems with the separator, it acts like it should.
      >
      > Next I'll add a thermostat that turn off power when the temperature
      is
      > getting high in the column.
      >
      > And after that I'll build a new column with one very interesting
      feature.
      > But I won't reveal what it is yet ;)
      >
      > Johan

    • Johan
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
        Riku, As long as the gasket is tight enough it'll be fine, but if it
        isn't well the it's no fun at all as you already know.
        Cablefittings is easy to make a tight fit with, inside the fitting is a
        rubber gasket that is squeezed to make a real tight fit around the pipe.
        It will never get in contact with the alcohol itself, but there are
        metal ones if you choose to get a cable fitting anyway.
        Make sure there will be some air in the head bottle when it's full. If
        not it'll be hard to remove the bottle from the separator at the end of
        the run. Especially the head bottle as this need to be removed first to
        drain the separator from alcohol.

        Yes the pipe inside the bottle can be adjusted, another way is to fill
        the bottles with some before start. Air escape through the same pipe.
        And it's connected to the separator via a hose.

        Piece of advice, don't make distance to short between the output to each
        cut on the main tube (the tube that is connected to the still) otherwise
        it will start to fill up the middle cut pipe with some head which is
        then pushed over to middle cut when the head bottle is full.

        Tipringwaterpipe, I'll make a better instruction later on, but check out
        the autoseparator catalog in the files area, it's the same idea, the
        only difference between that on and the one I made now is that air
        escape trough the same hose, and I made it in copper to make it a little
        more stable and compact and have the possibility make several different
        cuts.

        Johan

        I guess I'll have to build one myself. Instead of those cable
        fittings I thought I would try airlock gaskets from fermentation
        bucket. If I understood it correctly you have a copper pipe that goes
        to the bottle and you can adjust the cut by sliding it up or down?
        That pipe in turn is connected to the separator with hose? Time to
        visit the HW store for some tin and hose I think. Thanks for sharing
        your invention!

        Greetz, Riku

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Johan" <mugg@h...> wrote:
        > I re-distilled stripped alcohol and some extra head and tail.
        > 1 litre head, 5 litre middle cut and 2 litres of tail collected
        from the
        > separator.
        > No problems with the separator, it acts like it should.
        >
        > Next I'll add a thermostat that turn off power when the temperature
        is
        > getting high in the column.
        >
        > And after that I'll build a new column with one very interesting
        feature.
        > But I won't reveal what it is yet ;)
        >
        > Johan

        To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
        distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/