Treacle

  • Robert Elliott
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 31, 2003
      Hi Group,

      Can anyone tell me about Treacle (I believe that this name originated in
      England??). What I have been led to believe is that it is the next stage up
      the process ladder from molasses. Is this true? Can it be used effectively
      for fermenting to do a rum run. If it is the next part of the process from
      molasses, then wouldn't it contain less "unfermentable" solids (or in fact
      would it contain more)? Any ideas on fermenting treacle would be appreciated

      Cheers,

      Bob.
    • Austin Smith
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
        According to Webster's, treacle IS molasses (apparently that use of the term is strictly British, since the accepted definition of treacle is an antidote for a poisonous bite).

      • Robert Elliott
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
          Thanks for that Austin. I take in that you aren't in Australia as I know I
          can source both molasses and treacle here. I believe that there is a
          difference, although I have tasted both and cannot tell the difference.
          Basically molasses is sold in Australia as cattle feed and treacle is
          available off the supermarket shelf for use as either a sandwich spread, for
          adding to milk as a warm drink and also in cooking (cakes and deserts). I
          have been able to also get molasses for human consumption at a health food
          shop, where it is know as "blackstrap molasses".

          Any other comments from members?

          Cheers,

          Bob.

          According to Webster's, treacle IS molasses (apparently that use of the term
          is strictly British, since the accepted definition of treacle is an antidote
          for a poisonous bite).

          To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
          distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Smith" <asmith1@b...>
            wrote:
            > According to Webster's, treacle IS molasses (apparently that use
            of the term is strictly British, since the accepted definition of
            treacle is an antidote for a poisonous bite).

            Treacle is clarified molasses, with all the crap removed e.g. bugs,
            trash etc. Suitable for sale for human consumption.

            All about English sugar here...
            http://www.nutrition.org.uk/information/foodandingredients/sugar.html

            (interestingly, brown sugar is usually white refined sugar coated
            with molasses.)

          • Austin Smith
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
              This is a commercial site that explains what treacle is, also.

              http://www.sugarindia.com/treacle.htm

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Elliott <r_selliott@b...>
                wrote:
                > Hi Group,
                >
                > Can anyone tell me about Treacle (I believe that this name
                originated in
                > England??). What I have been led to believe is that it is the next
                stage up
                > the process ladder from molasses. Is this true? Can it be used
                effectively
                > for fermenting to do a rum run. If it is the next part of the
                process from
                > molasses, then wouldn't it contain less "unfermentable" solids (or
                in fact
                > would it contain more)? Any ideas on fermenting treacle would be
                appreciated

                > Cheers,
                >
                > Bob.

                Hi Bob,
                I've used treacle to make rum. It works. It works better the
                second time when you've got dunder left over from the previous run
                to add to the wort.
                It's also very expensive. The last time I bought a tin 850gm (for
                home use) last week it cost me AUD $2.75 at Woolies in Cairns N.Q.
                It you allow that treacle & molasses only have about 50% fermentable
                sugars, that's $2.75 for 425gm. Compare that to raw sugar at $1.00
                per kg. or feedstore molasses at $30 - $40 for 200lt drum and you
                can see what I mean.

                HTH
              • Robert Elliott
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
                  Hi Group,

                  Thanks for all the info about treacle. It not only shows that I was correct
                  in some respects but it also shows my ignorance to molasses. Interesting was
                  to find out about brown sugar being white sugar with a molasses coating.
                  Also of tremendous use was the fact that I should be reusing some of the
                  "dunder" for a rum run.

                  It now raises the question (with me) about brown sugar, seeing that it
                  obviously has a higher sucrose level than molasses. Can it be used instead
                  of treacle/molasses for a rum run. Surely someone out there with a curiosity
                  like mine, has tried and I'm curious about the results.

                  Cheers,

                  Bob.

                  > Can anyone tell me about Treacle (I believe that this name
                  originated in
                  > England??). What I have been led to believe is that it is the next
                  stage up
                  > the process ladder from molasses. Is this true? Can it be used
                  effectively
                  > for fermenting to do a rum run. If it is the next part of the
                  process from
                  > molasses, then wouldn't it contain less "unfermentable" solids (or
                  in fact
                  > would it contain more)? Any ideas on fermenting treacle would be
                  appreciated

                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Bob.

                  Hi Bob,
                  I've used treacle to make rum. It works. It works better the
                  second time when you've got dunder left over from the previous run
                  to add to the wort.
                  It's also very expensive. The last time I bought a tin 850gm (for
                  home use) last week it cost me AUD $2.75 at Woolies in Cairns N.Q.
                  It you allow that treacle & molasses only have about 50% fermentable
                  sugars, that's $2.75 for 425gm. Compare that to raw sugar at $1.00
                  per kg. or feedstore molasses at $30 - $40 for 200lt drum and you
                  can see what I mean.

                  HTH

                  To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
                  distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
                    Some people make rum entirely out of Brown sugar.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
                      Hi Leigh,

                      Have you made rum using just brown sugar and how did it turn out ?? Fill me
                      in on your "trade secrets".

                      Cheers,

                      Bob.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
                        Hi Bob,
                        No, not me mate. I'm more a bourbon drinker. But have read of a few people who have done it.
                        I did make a rummie tasting beer without nutrients called Simha once (I think it's Finnish) out of brown sugar but I digress.
                        I stole this in it's entirety (hope Tony doesn't mind) from www.homedistiller.org but I'm not sure which Mike's recipe it is.
                        All credit belongs to others. Look under "Preparing the wash/sugar based/rum".

                        The recipe according to me for CAPTAIN MORGAN SPICED RUM is (starting batch)......
                        6 kg brown sugar ,
                        100 gm (extremely good) yeast nutrient
                        2 packages (5gm per each) Lalvin-EC-1118 yeast. Make sure you bring the yeast up to a good foam (1/2 hr @ 80 F (26C) in 150 ml of the wash).
                        Add yeast to wert and add heat band to keep fermentation to 74 degrees F (23C) untill it reaches 0.998 specific gravity.
                        After that...you must filter the must through a wine filter(# 3 VINAMAT ) filter pad to get rid of as much yeast as possible before distilling.
                        Distill as per Tony's rules and collect in a big enough container to allow the cut down with distilled water (as per Tony's calculators on his website). Make sure the alcohol is 53%.
                        Add 1 Tbsp toasted (white American Oak chips) take that any way you like....HA HA HA....,
                        1 tsp ground cinnamon,
                        1 tsp ground ginger,
                        2-dried cloves.
                        You may add as much caramelized white sugar as you would like to deepen the colour of the spiced rum
                        Let this soak for 1-2 weeks (or per taste or smell)
                        you mus t put the spiced rum through a coffee filter before you drink it unless you like alot of stuff going down your throat that does not belong there.
                        The way I distill is I use 60 oz. bottles for the distillate. After the first one is full I take a hydrometer reading. Same with the second and the third and so on. I finish when the coloumn temp reaches 90 degrees C temp. Then I take 2 minutes of tails for flavour and then I shut it down. Too much more will give you brackish yuck flavour!! After the run is finished I combine all the 60 oz. bottles and take a final gravity reading.Usually around 85-92%. This is then split in half with distilled water (unless making spiced rum which has to stay at 53% to get the vanillins out of the oak chips). The spiced rum can be dilluted down to 40% but it is quite good at 53%. By the way...I use brass scrubbers in the still because the don't impart flavour like stainless ones do.
                        and then have a PARTY!!!!!!!

                        Cheers,
                        Leigh
                      • Robert Elliott
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
                          Wow ! Thanks a million for that.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 1, 2003
                            wrote:
                            > Hi Leigh,
                            >
                            > Have you made rum using just brown sugar and how did it turn
                            out ?? Fill me
                            > in on your "trade secrets".
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            >
                            > Bob.

                            Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                            Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                            recipe...
                            http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

                            Don't be put off by the domain name. It's mine, & just my Aussie
                            twisted sense of humour showing through again. ;^)

                          • Robert Elliott
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                              Hi Harry,

                              Like you I have a twisted sense of humour being an Ozzie as well - you know
                              Middlemount?? Checked out G-G-G's Rum recipe and yep, it certainly looks
                              like it's from that era. Did he ever spend time in gaol for selling the
                              stuff??

                              I will certainly give it a go, but I will have to scale down the size of it.
                              Only thing I won't be able to do is to ferment in a cask. I guess that if I
                              add oak shavings to my plastic fermenter it will give the same result?? Have
                              you down this one, and what was the outcome?

                              Cheers,

                              Bob
                              PS Slainte ! ?? PLS explain.

                              > Have you made rum using just brown sugar and how did it turn
                              out ?? Fill me
                              > in on your "trade secrets".
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              >
                              > Bob.

                              Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                              Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                              recipe...
                              http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

                              Don't be put off by the domain name. It's mine, & just my Aussie
                              twisted sense of humour showing through again. ;^)

                              To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
                              distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                            • watertrade2003
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                                Hi Bob,
                                The file I just uploaded mentions treacle and lots of other info on
                                grains for people interested in making their wash from grains.

                                Cheers
                                Jim

                                wrote:
                                > Hi Group,
                                >
                                > Can anyone tell me about Treacle (I believe that this name
                                originated in
                                > England??). What I have been led to believe is that it is the next
                                stage up
                                > the process ladder from molasses. Is this true? Can it be used
                                effectively
                                > for fermenting to do a rum run. If it is the next part of the
                                process from
                                > molasses, then wouldn't it contain less "unfermentable" solids (or
                                in fact
                                > would it contain more)? Any ideas on fermenting treacle would be
                                appreciated

                                > Cheers,
                                >
                                > Bob.
                              • Robert Elliott
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                                  Hi Leigh,

                                  Thanks for the Captain Morgans. I note that the first line says "starting
                                  batch". I take it that this means the first batch and to use the "dunder"
                                  again for the next batches?? The site, which has some great info, doesn't
                                  really explain what this means.

                                  Members, any experience/comments??. (I think I am becoming obsessed with
                                  making my own rum after a visit last August to the "Bundy" rum factory). Any
                                  Bundy recipes out there?

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                                    Bob,

                                    I bought some aussie supermarket treacle a while ago. It is like a lighter
                                    molasses--as you say--a step closer to cane juice than the blackstrap
                                    molasses sold for animal feed. Treacle would be perfect for making real rum
                                    according to what I've read. Commercial rum distillers apparently tend to
                                    use just such a higher grade of molasses. However, it'd be very expensive
                                    for our purposes.

                                    I've done three batches of rum recently. The first and second were a blend
                                    of 50/50 feed molasses and raw sugar, by weight. My reasoning was that this
                                    would roughly mimic a lighter grade of molasses while keeping costs down.
                                    They produced superb results. The third was around 41% molasses and is
                                    still aging (but smells great so far).

                                    To get something close to Bundaberg Rum, you'll need to carefully take mid
                                    to late tails -- say up to 92-93 degrees head temp or so, mix in a good
                                    serve of caramel and use plenty of oak (but don't overdo it and ruin a good
                                    thing as I eventually did with my first batch). Happily, those who've blind
                                    tested my rums so far alongside Bundy have preferred mine as they seem to
                                    lack that somewhat harsh edge and aftertaste. I'm new to rum making, so it
                                    goes to show how possible a decent product is.

                                    Good luck with it mate.

                                    Boot

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 2, 2003
                                      Molasses comes or rather used to come, in 3 grades from the various
                                      stages of sugar refining. The end product is blackstrap molasses
                                      which contains still about 50% sugars but these are mainly invert
                                      sugars and not the sucrose to form sugar crystals.
                                      Golden Syrup (in Australia) & Treacle (British usage) are made to
                                      resemble the stage 1 or 2 molasses syrups by inverting sucrose and
                                      adding molasses colouring. Cheaper to use dark brown sugar which also
                                      is made from white sugar with molasses syrup, and not from the later
                                      refining process.

                                      Wal
                                      --- In Distillers

                                    • peter_vcb
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                                        "PS Slainte ! ?? PLS explain."

                                        slainte is the irish equivalent of cheers or "down the hatch"
                                      • Robert Elliott
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                                          Okay,

                                          Cheers !

                                          slainte is the irish equivalent of cheers or "down the hatch"

                                          To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
                                          distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                        • Matt SF
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                                            On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 07:13:10AM -0000, Harry wrote:
                                            > Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                                            > Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                                            > recipe...
                                            > http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com

                                            Harry, great set of pages! Wish my grandfather had done stuff as cool as
                                            this in his day. :) Any chance you'll transcribe it and/or edit it for
                                            modern viewing?

                                            -Matt

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Matt SF <spore@p...> wrote:
                                              > On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 07:13:10AM -0000, Harry wrote:
                                              > > Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                                              > > Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's
                                              rum
                                              > > recipe...
                                              > > http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com
                                              >
                                              > Harry, great set of pages! Wish my grandfather had done stuff as
                                              cool as
                                              > this in his day. :) Any chance you'll transcribe it and/or edit
                                              it for
                                              > modern viewing?
                                              >
                                              > -Matt

                                              Hi Matt
                                              Thanks for the accolades. :)
                                              Tony is doing the transcriptions and will put them up on his site.

                                              I only put up the originals to give people an idea of what rum
                                              distilling was all about in the old days, like step-fermentation,
                                              wood-fired tinned vessels etc. Jeez, we've got it easy nowadays.

                                            • Mike Nixon
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                                                Harry wrote:
                                                Ok Bob. You wanna make rum from brown sugar & molasses????
                                                Go to my brand new site & download my Great-great grandaddy's rum
                                                recipe...
                                                http://www.farq.mycrowsoft.com
                                                Very nice site Harry! Many thanks for sharing your Great-great grandaddy's
                                                recipe ... particularly in its original form. Adds to the flavour :-)
                                                All the best,
                                                Mike N