Kenmore cleaning and Mods?

  • thomas_morgan
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2003
      I got the Kenmore base model (water distiller) and did my first run
      this weekend. I ran an 8 year old Zinfindel wine through twice and
      ended up with with ~67% abv product. I dillited to ~40% and ran
      through a Brita twice (I noticed the filter is no good for water
      now)
      and got a decent, slightly sweet tasting, alcohol. I am aging with
      toasted oak chips to mellow.

      I have a couple of questions though... One is how to clean the
      internal portions (condenser) of the unit. I immedately ran the unit
      2x with water after my runs, and I can clean the heating vessel
      fairly
      easily. The water tastes "funny" though. It has a feint sweet taste
      similar to the alcohol. Is there a way to clean the condenser?

      One (unrelated) mod to the unit I was considering is adding some
      copper to the vapor path some how to reduce sulphor output. I was
      thinking of adding a copper scrubber and/or a copper tube to the
      flexible plastic tube that connects to the condenser. Any thoughts?

      I noticed that someone is [planning] to sell re-sell modified kenmore
      units as small alcohol stills:
      http://www.brew-usa.com/mini%20distiller.htm

      I don't know what he's specifically done (other than his filtration
      method) to modify the units but am curious and also wondering about
      his claim "It is very easy to burn yourself or damage this system if
      you haven't tested it the way I have." ?

      Thanks.

      -m