Re: All grain mash

  • dgt1232002
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 30, 2003
      Thanks to all those that helped sort out the problem with my first
      all grain mash.
      I boiled the corn and added more barley, the SG came up to 1.065 as
      expected.
      I agree the flaked maize i bought can not be the same as the flaked
      maize in Ian Smileys book.
      Yeast is in and working fine.
      Thanks again this is a great group.
      Don

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bennett, Mark E"
      <mark.e.bennett@t...> wrote:
      > Information of interest
      > Gelatinised or hot rolled corn that they feed to horses in
      Australia is not what Ian Smiley is referring to. The product he is
      refereeing to is like rolled oats that you get in the supermarket and
      has no visual resemblance to the grain. I have used the gelatinised
      corn from the feed merchant and have found that the I still needed to
      run it through the crusher as it did not break down well in a full
      boil. Other products that I have used are cracked corn and whole
      corm. Best conversion have been with partially malted corn (I
      started with whole corn) , fine crush and then slowly heat the mash
      up with rests at 50 60 65 70c before going to a slow boil for 1 hour
      and then chill to 70c and add the barley malt (fine grind). If I
      don't malt the corn the mash ends up that thick that it can not be
      stirred (electric stirrer)and it will scorch and although you get
      good yield I don't recommend the taste.

      > Best fun ever doing grain but I doubt its worth the time and
      effort. From my point of view the process has more to do with art
      than science.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/