RE: [Distillers] Re: Problem with my shotgun condenser

  • Johan
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 30, 2003
      I'll explain a little better what I mean with condensate on top since it
      confused some.
      The cooling pipes inside my condenser are 8 mm outer diameter and 6 mm
      inner. I got seven pipes. 15 cm tall and they stick out a little from
      the top of the condenser so it is possible to solder them in place. On
      top of the condenser is a reducer. So liquid can be trapped around the
      pipes (bad construction) and then a pipe up, 90 degree bend, pipe, and
      than a 90 degree bend downward and then a carbon filter (A small filter
      is great to eliminate smell) The shotgun condenser is built that way to
      make it possible to use it with power management and the vm cooler as
      you say Riku. I want to check how much the condenser separate.

      The bad thing with this that didn't cross my mind when I built it is
      that on top of the condenser there may be a pool of condensate, not
      directly from the vapour of the still but from the air at the top. Air
      will be saturated with steam, no doubt, and the reducer thing will be a
      little bit cooler than the shotgun condenser itself so it is possible
      that small amount condensate in the reducer part and get stuck around
      the cooling pipes at the top.
      I'll add drainage to the top to see if makes any difference.

      On the other hand I got small pipes in the condenser so that will
      probably be the main concern. I'll keep it in mind Mike to use larger
      pipes if I build a similar condenser. Cooling effect is good enough
      anyway.

      Controlling power instead is alright, but I doubt it will work well
      since I use circulating water. I'll try it, and also cooling management
      with separate water flow for reflux and product.

      On the other hand, if the vapour flow in the shotgun condenser is from
      top to bottom instead it is possible to use small pipes without having
      problem with chocking. 6 mm pipes should do fine. I believe that will
      make the condenser very effective.

      Johan