Re: [Distillers] FYI - New Trojan

  • Austin Smith
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 30, 2003
      You and me both. I was down for two weeks a year or so ago, when a virus infected 13 of my system files. Norton publishes new definitions almost every day and NAV is constantly catching viruses and trojans.

    • Austin Smith
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 30, 2003
        I'm still very curious about this "new" trojan. It's stated that this trojan was discovered by a South American anti-virus software company on 23 Oct 2003, but NONE of the other AV programs have discovered it, even a week later. Norton certainly doesn't show it in their encyclopedia under any of the aliases. Can it be that this is an older trojan that's been "rediscovered", and given new names?

      • tipringwaterpipe
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 30, 2003
          I'm just passing this through my mind but maybe you could have an external pump, with the input from the bottom of your boiler and the output putting it back in. There are pumps and motors out there for every application under the sun. This would keep everthing moving. Sealing would not be a problem, as it's a closed system.

          Down-the-Hatch
          Tip

          Boot <mr.boot@...> wrote:
          Yes, in chem labs they use those nifty magnetic stirrers. They're just an
          external motor that spins a strong magnet at variable speed, and an
          elongated plastic-coated fixed magnet that is dropped into the flask to be
          stirred. The flask sits on top of the motor unit.

          I bet with a little ingenuity you could use this principle to rotate either
          a free-floating magnetic rod inside the boiler, or a magnet that is
          supported by, say, a shaft and self-lubricating bushing.

          A source of long magnetic rods that springs immediately to mind is old
          laser printer internals. I knew someone who worked at a toner cartridge
          recharging company, and he had dozens of them.

          Boot

          > > I want to make a stirring device in my boiler, but can't think of
          >anything
          > > airtight to put the axis through the boilerwall, and leaving enough
          >space
          > > for the stirring-axis to turn. Anyone got ideas?
          > >
          > > Rutger

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Hector A. Landaeta C.
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 31, 2003
            On 10/29/03 9:50 PM, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

            > Fit a large stainless steel or copper strainer mesh (gauze) into the
            > boiler to keep the grains away from direct heat when you charge the
            > still. Ergo stirring not necessary.

            Hola Harry!
            Seems you¹ve got the reasons for stirring wrong my friend. As I gather it,
            stirring serves the major purpose of eliminating temp gradients within the
            mash, specially if your heat source comes from the sides and/or bottom.
            Gentle stirring should also help in transporting volatile substances (like
            alcohol) wanting out of the solution to reach the surface in order to
            evaporate, thus reducing time and increasing yield. You can still see
            handle stirrers in modern day, high-tech German stills (in the Christian
            Carl website there¹s a pretty 70 liter or so one photographed). I think
            that all the people that¹s experimenting with scorched grain taste in their
            spirits should strain them even before fermentation occurs because yeast
            can¹t ferment cellulose nor residual starch, and that¹s all that should be
            present in your spent grains after you¹ve mashed them. All of the flavor
            components that could be appreciated in the distilled spirit should be
            present in the strained (even filtered) wash. Of course, if you¹re
            fermenting pit fruits like peaches or cherries, even apples and pears I¹ve
            also found that it¹s folly no to include the stones and pits (even the
            peelings and stems) in the boiler because there is lot of remaining flavor
            and aromatic content to be extracted from them. I¹ve read something about
            traditional corn whiskey methods and the belief that ³in grain² fermenting
            causes a distinguishable different spirit from the one without. I must say
            that I¹ve never tried a corn grain wash. Did try ones with 6-row malt and a
            pre-cooked cornmeal flour that¹s ubiquitous here because we make the
            national dish (arepas) with it. Personally I prefer a single-malt or a
            rice-adjunct malt wash. I¹ve also never had the chance to experiment with
            malt grain washes with an electrically heated still but I think it could be
            that when your wash has direct contact with your heating element you should
            take more care of what you put inside the boiler.
            Salud!
            --
            Hector Landaeta.
            Colonia Tovar - Venezuela.

          • bert saal
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 31, 2003
              Maybee you can dismantel the pumphouse and put the rotor direkt in your boiler. The rotorsealing wil be o.k. and the others are easy to make whith silicone.
              bert

              Boot <mr.boot@...> wrote:
              Yes, in chem labs they use those nifty magnetic stirrers. They're just an
              external motor that spins a strong magnet at variable speed, and an
              elongated plastic-coated fixed magnet that is dropped into the flask to be
              stirred. The flask sits on top of the motor unit.

              I bet with a little ingenuity you could use this principle to rotate either
              a free-floating magnetic rod inside the boiler, or a magnet that is
              supported by, say, a shaft and self-lubricating bushing.

              A source of long magnetic rods that springs immediately to mind is old
              laser printer internals. I knew someone who worked at a toner cartridge
              recharging company, and he had dozens of them.

              Boot

              > > I want to make a stirring device in my boiler, but can't think of
              >anything
              > > airtight to put the axis through the boilerwall, and leaving enough
              >space
              > > for the stirring-axis to turn. Anyone got ideas?
              > >
              > > Rutger

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Robert Elliott
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 31, 2003
                Sorry, but your link would mean more if I spoke Spanish.

                Cheers,

                Bob.

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 31, 2003
                  . . . . and neither has VET. It also has arrested heaps of others though.

                  Cheers,

                  Bob.