Re: Hard Sweet Cider

  • stillyaakman
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2003
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, tipringwaterpipe <ed_bathie@y...>
      wrote:
      > 3,000 gal / month....WOW! That's a... Hell of a lot of work.
      As half the crew it was about a 75 hr. week for almost 2 years. It
      was a lot of fun too though.
      We bought apples by the truck load. A mix of red delicious, golden
      delicous and granny smiths. These aren't the best apples for cider
      but were the most available year around. We washed ground and pressed
      the fruit. Pumped it into thousand gallon tanks with cooling columns.
      Pitched champaign yeast to it and did a slow cool ferment to a very
      dry state. We would then sweeten the cider back a bit with fresh
      juice. Filter it through a wine filter using cloth pads and
      diatomaceous earth. The final filtering was through paper pads fine
      enough to remove any residual yeast and even most bacteria.
      Next came bottling and kegging. we used both 12 oz. and 750 ml.
      bottles. and half barrel and 5 gal. cornelious kegs. We had an
      ancient Italian bottling machine and hand capper and corker. we also
      hand labled the bottles. Usually by then it was about 2 am. and I'd
      bike home and crash until 6 am. and hit it again.
      Dan