Photos of an experimental column with trays/plates and an "alambic-" helmet

  • Peter Damen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2001
      Photos of my still-equipment:

      Peter3: design of my "tray-" column with a diabolo reflux cooler on top inside.
      The results of the first experiment were not very well because the overflow- pipes were soldered too high. The still proces was very unstable with a great variety of the temperature on the top of the column. I tried stilling with and without using the diabole reflux cooler, but both processes were unstable with a lot of irregulare "bubling".
      In the profesional German homestills (USD 12.000,--) you can regulate the position of these overflow-pipes, aswell the position of the small "helms" or "trays". I still have to try my own version with lower overflowpipes. Then the pressure drop of each tray will be less.

      Peter4: photos of the "tray-"column with a reflux cooler on top inside.

      Peter5: photo of my "alambic-" still,  which I use for aromatic destillates.

      By the way:
      The "Nixon-Stone book" is realy fantastic !
      A lot of "excisting" glass reflux still equipment, is now easily to construct handmade by yourself in copper.

      Peter from Holland

    • Johan Hemberg