Materials of Construction

  • Tony.Ackland@xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx.xxx.xx
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2000
      Regarding whether brass was OK to use or not, I've had a wee look through
      some of my books. It might be OK - as it is CORROSION resistant to
      alcohols, beer & water up to 100C.

      I'm not sure either way however regarding its toxicity. As with any
      materials being used, its probably different too whether considering a
      continuous or batch process. The infrequent use & regular cleaning &
      drying of hobby stills is a saving grace compared to the rigours a
      commercial setup demands.

      Heres a complete list of the materials I found. Can anyone else advise
      regarding toxicity/other issues that might make some of the OK's
      unacceptable ?

      Coulson, Richardson & Sinnott report that:

      aluminium, aluminium bronze, brass, copper, gunmetal and bronze, high Si
      iron, nickel, nickle-copper alloys, platinum, silver, stainless steel
      (18/8, molybedenum & austenitic ferric), titanium, tantalum, zirconium,
      nylon 66 fibre & plastics, PCTFE, PTFE, polypropylene, furane resin,hard
      rubber, neophrene, nitrile rubber, chlorosulphinated polyethylene, silicone
      rubbers, concrete, glass, graphite, porcelain and stoneware, and vitreous
      enamel

      are corrosion resistant to alcohols, beer & water up to 100C.

      lead, mild steel (BSS 15), cast iron, tin acrylic sheet (eg perspex),
      acrylonitrile butadiene styrene resins, rigidunplasticised PVC, plasticised
      PVC, polyethylene (low & high density), polystyrene, melamine resins, epoxy
      resin, phenol formaldehyde resins, polyester resins, butyl rubber &
      halo-butyl rubber, ethylene propylene rubber, soft natural rubber,
      polyethylene rubber, and wood

      are not OK.

      cheers,

      Tony Ackland