RE: [Distillers] Stone and Nixon

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2001
      The Nixon-Stone book is also available in PDF format, for US$8 (sorry, not
      $5)
      See http://www.gin-vodka.com/Main/main.html , which they'll then credit for
      $5 if you buy the book.

      I won't go into too much detail, as John & Mike have worked hard at
      producing their book, and rightly so charge for it. Its not for me to then
      give it away. The book does fully cover plans for producing both a beer
      stripper, then their final column, with a couple of different head designs.
      Includes construction tips & guidelines, as well as several pricing guides
      (e.g. copper vs. stainless steel or glass). At $8, I reckon its money well
      spent (unlike some of the "moonshine" books which are more stories than
      useful)

      The basic premise is that which standard/routine distillation columns are
      based on, e.g. as per any Chemical Engineering handbook (see
      http://lorien.ncl.ac.uk/ming/distil/distileqp.htm - the "top section"
      diagram). Once the distillate has passed up through the column, you fully
      condense all the vapour (i.e. only need one simple condenser). You then
      control how much distillate you divert off & keep (simple valve, no
      electronics), and thus how much is also returned to the column.

      Its incredibly simple, but effective. As there's only one cooling section,
      you only have to set one water flowrate. The temperature of the outlet
      water is also the temperature of the distillate, so you know what's going on
      there. You are controlling the amount of reflux based on volume, not any
      vagaries of heat transfer to pass-through tubes or external wrapping etc (so
      it won't change if your cooling water is too fast or slow or hotter or
      cooler). KISS. (and in parts, it doesn't really need to look like a still -
      hmmmmm......). The column is simple, without anything to mess with the
      heat & mass equilibrium's being developed inside (my hobby horse), and its
      insulated. Its all easy to pull apart & clean (as per Jan's request)

      Given that it's based on the basic distillation column design, its
      incredible that none of the commercially available hobby stills about (well,
      that I've seen) have utisilised it yet. I think that this is because they
      have been adapted from pot stills with a little experimentation, rather than
      bothering with looking at or understanding the theory that has been
      capitalised on by industry for the last 100 years or so.

      Yeah, call me a fan. And I haven't even finished building my one yet.
      Maybe I'm over-selling it, but its just because fundamentally it is so
      correct, easy to control, easy to adapt (i.e. it could use Jan's "cold
      finger", the pot could be what ever you want it to be) etc. Make up your
      own mind.

      Tony